• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Home Made Scent Killer

Deitz Dittrich

I found this recipee on another hunting site and tried it last year. I thought it worked quite well. So I thought I could share it with my FishingMinnesota.com family!

16oz Peroxide

16oz Distilled water

1/4 Cup Baking soda

1oz Non-scent Shampoo

Mix all ingred very carefully(do not shake, just stir slowly) then let sit in an opened bottle for at least 3 days(again do not close bottle, it will burst the bottle) After 3 days I put it in small spray bottles and use it like I would any other scent killer. Spray my cloths as I enter the woods, spray the bottom of my boots ect....

I think I bought the scent shild stuff at Gander... Its whatever I have for shampoo... I try and shower with non-scent soap and shampoo before every hunt.

And its not exactly free...But you can make a gallon of this for very cheep! Biggest thing to remember is to not shake it to mix it up, and to stir very slowly till the baking soda disolves. and you have to let it sit 3 days in an open container to let the peroxide and the soda react.

I second the chlorophyl tablets. They can be hard to find aside from alfalfa tablets found in health food stores. These work on all but the garlic/onion foods which should not be eaten if you want to remain fresh-breathed. And park the alcohol until you are not going to hunt for a few days.

The odors that come out of the body on the breath (or the arse) do more to keep game away than anything.

Tom, this was about 14 years ago.. I was grouse hunting. And jumped a skunk at about 3 feet... Gave me a full dose of the stinky stuff.. I'm telling you man... NASTY!... I pretty much ended up trashing the clothes in the woods and drove home pert near naked sept for my skivies!

They have some Clear n Free at Walmart that it is a scentless shampoo but they want $7 for it which kind of defeats the purpose of making your own. Yeah I can be tight sometimes. I left my scentless stuff at the cabin so I am trying a ounce of the Scent Wash with the fall smell to it so hopefully this will work and give a fall smell for cover.

Deitz,

I think you nailed it there.I think that the shampoo helps to dissolve the baking soda as,the stuff I've made,without the shampoo,has a lot of the baking soda settled on the bottom.Might have to find some scent free shampoo to add to it.

I just wanted to bump this thread, I made some last year with this recipe and have had great luck with it...hopefully you guys will too...I did substitute scent free laundry soap for the shampoo and it works great.