• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lab or springer?

frabillfisher

Well guys i geuss im thinking about getting my second dog(next spring hopefully) and have thought and thought about this...to get another yellow lab or a springer, i'm kinda leaning twoards the springer because i really want i smaller dog and i mostly hunt ducks and on occasion phesants and just ca;t decide, more then likely i'll get a girl so shes even a little smaller yet..price isint really a problem here..what are your guys experiences,inputs?

I dont have any advice to give you, but I am in the same boat, but I currently dont have dog at all, and trying to figure out what I want.

I have just been researching like a mad man as of late, just reading and reading and more reading. I am really surprised of all the information out there, and how well people know some of these breeds its amazing.

My only suggesting is the take your time and ask yourself what you want in this dog. Then list pros and cons of each breed. Then go out to a breeder and ask to see how the dogs work etc.

Good luck to you. I am sure someone will chime in on here and be able to give you some advice.

I have an english springer and duck hunt with him all the time. Size was one consideration when I was looking for a dog. He runs 40-45lb depending on season. I hunt with other labs and my springer can do anything they can duck hunting. When the occasional goose gets downed my dog does have a little trouble bringing it in, but he usually ends up with a neck or wing and retrieves it anyway. From a springer guy, I would not shy away from a springer one bit. He's also a house dog and is great to live with. I'm sure the Lab guys can say the exact same things about their labs so all I want to claim is not to be afraid of a springers size. Good luck. Pups sure are fun.

I have people ask me this question every time I have a litter. Are springers good duck hunting dogs? I tell them that in the early to mid season I would put them on the equal with a lab. Late season duck hunting is where a lab has an advantage. This is from a physical stand point. Springers just don't do well in the late season(cold) duck hunting. Will they do it, you bet they will but, you have to keep a close eye on them.

As far as size, you are right, they will be a smaller dog.

Keep in mind that there is a big split in this breed. There are people that breed field bred springers and there are people that breed bench(show) springers. There is a big difference in the 2.

I'm curious, why do you want a smaller dog? I don't have any pros or cons I'm going to give my opinion on, just curious. I have a 95 male Yellow, my mom has had two Old English Sheep Dogs around 120 lbs. and all three were more or less house dogs. If I'm home, he's inside. If I'm not, he's outside. What are the benefits of a smaller dog that you're looking for? By the way, Labs all thet way! grin.gif

Well for the most part i want a smaller dog is it would be nicer to have in my 10ft duck boat then my giant lab rite now i geuss i could put him on a diet crazy.gif...not that i dont love him and he's a great duck dog just looking to downsize...or maybe get a female lab?

I had two labs and now own a field springer. The labs were females(one large one small) and the springer is a male. The labs were better duck dogs in late season. The springer is fine early season duck dog. I worry when he retreives geese. I had a friend who lost an older springer(drowned) retreiving a goose. On pheasants, which I primarily hunt, my springer runs circles around labs. There are some fine labs on pheasants, but I would take a springer first.

I have a springer and I don't hunt ducks with her but she proved her weight in gold for grouse. These dogs are amazing with their ability to learn training tactics right away. I trained mine myself and I am not an expert at all. These dogs just have a built in need to hunt. Their temperment is outstanding, very important if you have kids.

Not to throw a wrench into things but have you looked into a Wirehaired Griffon ? they are a med size dog that is very versitale they point and will hunt ducks early to mid season. I don't think there is anything out there that will beat a Lab when it comes to late season duck hunting.

Scott

Well Frabill, your problem isn't that your dog is to big, your boat is too small. I have a 12' long 32" wide john myself and understand COMPLETELY what you mean. The word "SIT" has been yelled many a time. But all you have to do is do what I did, buy a bigger boat (if it's in your means)! Last spring I bought myself an Alumacraft Waterfowler 15' with a beavertail on the back for duck hunting and a 4-stroke yamaha for fishing. It's the perfect duck boat. Last Saturday I put some money down for a lab pup and I too kind of leaned towards a little smaller "moose" to hunt with. Though when I send Mav out to retrieve a goose I never worry about who's going to win that battle. Good Luck in your search. I still think labs rule though. smile.gif

Well the sister to my 95 lbs. male is around 55 lbs. The mother was around 70 lbs. and I'm sure there's a 15 lbs swing each way I'd have to guess. How's that for an answer.

I have a one year old black lab female. She was the biggest female in the litter at 7 weeks. she now weighs about 60lbs. As long as your dog is well mannered(worked with daily on basic comands) having a large dog in that sized boat should nto be a problem. What you need to do is reinforce the sit command under all types of conditions. My 60lb female had no problem retrieving tundra swans this year and they are much larger than canada geese.

And remember you can not beat a lab for those december pheasant hunts in the thick cattails. I used to do it with a german shorthair, The labs handle the deep snow and heavy cattails MUCH better than smaller dogs.

Find someone who breeds springer/lab mixes, You will get exactly everything you are looking for. smile.gif

My last dog I owned was 3/4 lab and 1/4 english springer. weighed 35-40 lbs, fit in most overhead storage bins. medium length hair.

Picked her up for free, Was worth much more than that at the end. Great dog, loved the water, loved the thick brush, loved to hunt.

WAG

Well i think i've narrowed it down to female lab or male or female springer spaniel I guess i'll just have to keep reading about the spaniel and what i want in a dog...thanks for you inputs appreciate more

Frabill I have had the honor to own both sometime or another in my life.Ive had more labs than springers but I mostly hunt pheasants in s.d.The springer i owned was fantastic alittle on the hyper side,more so than any of my labs.The labs I have owned have also be great a little slower workers over the springer but great house dogs and great with the kids.Hunted ducks with the springer quite a bit but later in the year you will want to take a blanket with you, they tend to get a little chilled.But Ive always have said if I had one hour to put three birds in my bag I would take a springer over any other breed,I sure I will be debated on that statement,hope this helps you out.

You could also look at the German Wirehair Pointing breed, I highly recomend them. I just posted an add in the puppies for sale forum as I'm about to have a litter. My female is about 45 lbs and is a great upland and waterfowl dog. Also a great family dog, I have two young boys ages 2 and 6.

Just another breed to consider. grin.gif

Ole

Have you thought of getting both???

I have a springer which is about 30 lbs and is a great swimmer, loves the water and doesnt do really well of still hunting in a boat or flooded fields, but does really well on jump shooting when i need her to retrieve the birds. Has a great nose for pheasants and grouse, alot of energy, great dog to be with. Needs a little bit more training on duck hunting but I dont use her much for duck hunting though. I am looking forward getting a yellow lab in a few years for waterfowling and another springer for upland. Good Luck on your choices, both dogs are great! smile.gif

Well i've put alot of thought into it and compared and was leaning twoards the springer for quite some time...think im going to go with the lab,still got along time till next spring when i plan on getting my new puppy so inputs still welcome grin.gif

hey frabilfisher my lab is a female and she weighs about 60 pounds but, she is a little taller than most females. i would have to say that i've been around springers and labs and seen good and bad hunters in both just pay attention to blood lines. but i would go for the lab grin.gif

My springer is an excellent pheasant dog, great nose and lots of energy. She is on the small side at around 35 pounds and isn't very durable when hunting hard for a couple of days. Good for a full day than a couple of half days of hunting. Retrieves ducks well in the water but I've only used her in the early season. She was diagnosed with IMHA (immune deficiency) over a year ago so we ended up with a Britt male. It's a good combination for the serious pheasant hunter- last year was the first year with the Brit and he showed that he has some great potential. I doubt the Brit would do well in the water but we'll find out this year. Lab is a good choice for an all around dog. My wife insisted on a smaller breed since ours are house dogs. Of course, with two dogs in the house it's a challenge regardless of the size. We hunted the springer last year and all was well but she has relapsed with IMHA the past month so we never know how healthy she'll be from one moment to the next.