• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cold weather boots

packattack

I am looking for a new pair of ice fishing boots. Been looking at the "Mickey Mouse" boots that the military issues. Has anybody ever owned any of these boots. I have heard that they run a size larger than shoes is that right. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I used them extensively in the military. They do work, and hte white ones will keep you very warm. They are a bit clunky to walk in, bat will keep ypur feet warm and dry. Not a bad choice for the ice, at all. The oonly problem is, they sure are funny looking.

I wear them early and late ice, when I expect water on the ice. Otherwise, I have a pair of Sorel Glaciers that I wear the rest of the time. They are also very warm, and more comfortable to walk in.

I've heard great things about the Ice Kings, also.

I have owned two pair of the white ones and one pair of the black ones. The white ones are much warmer. The only problem is if you sit down cross legged on the ice or in the deer stand that little air valve will dig into your ankle . One of the guys from out east Blaine or Bob D said you can still get them from sportsmans wahrehouse.

I have two pairs of Mickey's. They are the black ones. One has valves, the other does not. The valves make no difference for ice fishing.

I really like them, and the price is right if you surf the web mil-surplus sites.

Try and get the ones that are manufactured by Bata, the seem to be the best.

I have 2 pair myself...and the the wife has two (one set is too big). For me they run true to size if you want to wear heavier soxs. I only have the black ones, but my feet have never got cold in them. Sportsmansguide or cheaperthendirt usually have them.

IMO, they are the best boot for the money.

I have worn Ice Kings for the past 16 years and my feet never get cold. Get a boot with a good liner you can take out and dry out at night. Or get a boot dryer, they work well but let your boots cool before ya put them on or your feet will sweat and get cold on the ice.

Most importantly is to get a good wicking sock and then a good wool blend sock.

i have a pair of lacrosse and really like them, but i am having a tough time finding replacement liners. i know that columbia bought out lacrosse last year i think, and now i haven't seen any lacrosse boats out at the normal stores....anyone got any info?.

I'm pretty happy with my black Mickey Mouse boots.I couldn't say I have ever had cold feet while wearing them.You can get soaked in them and they still keep you warm.Yup..wet warm feet.I aint getting blisters but they could be a bit more comfortable.

I got a pair of Muck Master boots from Muck Boots.Now those are comfortable.Like walking on new carpet.The boots I have are not winter boots but do keep my feet warm to just below freezing.They also make an Arctic Sport boot that I have been thinking of trying.They are rated for temps to -40.Made the same way as my Muck Masters,so I am asumming they would be just as comfy.

As far as cold weather boots go, nothing beats [sorry, links require approval - please use the contact us button to inquire further] These things are the warmest thing going. I was skeptical, but got talked into a pair of them, and WOW. They do get heavy, if they get wet, but if you're not kicking your boots down half frozen ice holes, they will work just fine. These things are awesome. I won't use them on late ice, when there is a lot of slush and water under the snow though. But if you're looking for a boot for outdoor stuff in the winter, there's nothing warmer, or more comfortable than these. Just my two cents

Brandon

I've had my IceMans for too long but they still work, evn with the weather checking. A long time ago I got tired of replacing the flattened out felt liners and located a pair of redball thinsulate boot liners. Not sure how many grams of insulation they are, but it's a lot warmer than the felt. And I get by with less socks, only need a pair of nylon socks plus one pair of wool blend.

This summer I purchased a pair of Irish Setter Versa Tracs with the interchangable lugs, 1000 gram thinsulate and gore tex. Hope they were worth it.

In the past 3 years I've had my Ice Kings, I've never had a even a hint of cold feet, even in extereme conditions. They are also comfortable. They are bulky, but if it is warmth you are looking for, they are hard to beat.

Quote:

i have a pair of lacrosse and really like them, but i am having a tough time finding replacement liners. i know that columbia bought out lacrosse last year i think, and now i haven't seen any lacrosse boats out at the normal stores....anyone got any info?.

I just boughta pair of replacement linersat fleetfarm. They have the LaCrosse liners.