• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Jmnhunter

Running Ac From Garage Outlet

So I know youre supposed to run the ice castle's AC from a 30amp outlet, but could I run it off of a standard 20amp outlet out of my garage? I would think if it gets too hot the 20amp fuse will pop? I've ran it for a short period of time before; but I was just thinking in case we have company over some time and needed some overflow sleeping arrangement...

Its connected via a 50' 12 guage cord I beleive

I suppose it will all depend on how many amps your air conditioner draws but having said that, I run my RV air conditioner from a 20 amp outlet in my garage all the time and have done it with several different campers over the years. I may have tripped a circuit breaker once or twice but I honestly don't remember ever doing so. 

depends on how many things are off the out let too I would think..

Any idea what gauge wire you have going to the outlet?  In most garages 14 would be the lightest and even that should should handle a 30 amp breaker: if worried about it just replace the 20 amp breaker.

Your AC unit should have the Amp rating on it.  The RLA should be the lowest, and the normal running Amp load.  The unit will spike though when it starts the compressor.  That’s when you’ll risk tripping the breaker if the circuit is overloaded.  I’m a little rusty on my tech skills but it should go this:

RLA = Run load Amps or running.

FLA = Full load Amps or starting.

LRA = Locked rotor Amps or when the compressor own internal over load will trip.

If you have other appliances on that same circuit and they’re running, you should add up their Amp load and try to keep it below 15 on a 20 Amp circuit.  17 would be pushing it.

52 minutes ago, Juneau4 said:

Any idea what gauge wire you have going to the outlet?  In most garages 14 would be the lightest and even that should should handle a 30 amp breaker: if worried about it just replace the 20 amp breaker.

Sorry but that's possibly as dangerous of advice as you could give.  You NEVER put in a breaker of higher amperage than the wire on the circuit is rated for. Hopefully you were being facetious? 🤔

1 hour ago, Juneau4 said:

Isn't 15 amps the breaker size for 14 gauge wire?

11 hours ago, Juneau4 said:

Please don't do this!

I have no problem running my camper ac off a 20 amp outlet!

its a ice castle ac unit; i believe the running watts are 1200-1400; nothing else would be running off this outlet; and i believe i purchased a 12guage cord to keep it plugged in to maintain the deep cycle battery and to provide power.

this also raises another question then... am I ok using a standard (16 guage perhaps?) extension cord to connect to the power source at campsites? If not, I should probably replace this...

You should get the 30 amp power cord if you don't have one already. You can use the 30 amp power cord adapter(30 amp female to 15 amp male) for home use. Otherwise when at the campground plug the 30 amp power cord into the 30 amp receptacle.  Now your set for any situation. 

Your 20 amp receptacle is protecting the wire from receptacle to breaker panel.

Besides running the AC, your running a refrigerator, 110v receptacles, and convertor.  A 16 gauge extension cord is no good.  

we've only  used the adapter so far at the campsites, as I've only seen the standard plug in's at the boxes; and only running some lights and AC at the most at one time, no fridge to run