• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Wanderer

Trail Cam Recommendations?

I’d like to pick up another one this year.  Since it’s been several years since I’ve really shopped the market, I could use some recommendations.

I’ve leaning toward making the leap to a unit that sends pics to my phone but after reading some Spy Point reviews I’m not sure if it’s worth it.  Are there other cellular cameras to look at?  Any one with a cellular camera have any feedback on positives or negatives?

If not cellular, what current brands and models are a good bang for the buck?  I have an old Moultie I’m really happy with for battery life and reasonably happy with pic quality.  I like good battery life but would like a more reliable and quicker trigger.

Thanks!  

I've been watching this one hoping to get come good info too. Unfortunately I have no useful info to offer. Hopefully someone will chime in with some pearls of wisdom. 

@Scoot

Yeah, pretty quiet on the subject here.  I did find other brands of cellular cameras to look at.  Some brands I’ve never heard of but with better reviews.  Knowing I would need a cellular subscription to operate one is kind of a turn off for me.  I’m not managing a large operation.

I think I’ll look more into trigger speed and sensitivity along with black flash and IR detection to help reduce false trips from blowing branches and grass.

Thats as far as I’ve gotten so far.

Trailcampro.com is a good resource to read their reviews and they have a good warranty. Personal.... I don’t buy a trail cams over $120.         The best time to buy is Black Friday or at the end of the season.  I mostly use stealth cam and moutry. Hope this helps. 

I have been a Wild Game Innovations fan for most of my time using cams.  I really really like the NANO version they put out.  Compact, only take 4 AA batteries, great battery life and the pictures have been very good quality.  That being said, last year I won a Moultrie Game Spy 2 at a company party and have been very impressed with it.  Same as the Nano, takes only 4 batteries and pictures are very good as well.  These two cameras are now my "go to" and I won't be needing to spend  100's on other cameras when these work great.  The one camera that I am thinking about getting though is the WGI 360 degree camera.  Supposed to be able to take pictures 360 degrees so you don't miss anything moving behind where a normal camera can't detect them.

Hmmm.  My cheapest camera is a Wildgame Innovations unit but I haven’t been a great fan of it.  It’s not the NANO version but though, just a cheap one I picked up in a small shop during a hunt cuz I felt I NEEDED one right then.

I do like my old Moultrie and am looking at the M50i as a much updated version of it.

15E735BD-8F42-4C12-B166-E838E76FC20A.png.def47f0f33ea04b87ec097d094aa7cb8.png

Still comparing their line up.  If I just bought now, that’s what I’d go with.

That WGI 360 sounds like something I have to check out!

I just bought an M50. Mills had them on sale for $129.99. The infared version was $139.99. Only been using it for about a week and so far I like it. That buck in the night time pictures is quite a ways out from the camera. 

I've had a Moultrie 880 for years and it's been a solid camera. 

1534688325149.jpg

1534688322387.jpg

1534688315176.jpg

MJ 1657

I just bought an M50. Mills had them on sale for $129.99. The infared version was $139.99. Only been using it for about a week and so far I like it. That buck in the night time pictures is quite a ways out from the camera. 

I've had a Moultrie 880 for years and it's been a solid camera. 

MJ

Did this Moultrie have picture video at the same time like the old 880? I have not found another camera to do that but the Moultrie and it's great. I'm running out of this version only have two left now.

I'm not sure Hoyt4 I've never messed with the video part. I'll take a look when I get home. 

The Moultrie M50 was rated 81/100 on Trailcam pro.  I was surprised to see the majority of the highest rated cameras were Browning.  I like the Browning brand for firearms but have considered many of their other products to be mid-level offerings.

I was surprised by that too Wanderer. I bought 2 of them about a month ago and am giving them a whirl. I've got 3 on bear baits right now. I'll have a feel for them in a couple weeks. 

7 hours ago, MJ1657 said:

I'm not sure Hoyt4 I've never messed with the video part. I'll take a look when I get home. 

Thanks MJ

It's nice for the picture and follow up video you catch a lot that gets missed after the picture.

19 hours ago, Hoyt4 said:

Thanks MJ

It's nice for the picture and follow up video you catch a lot that gets missed after the picture.

I do not see anything in the instructions that says you can do pictures and video at the same time. 

I will check my instructions but do not think that was in them. But you could scroll through settings and get Pic/Video mode. I will check tonight.

1 hour ago, Hoyt4 said:

I will check my instructions but do not think that was in them. But you could scroll through settings and get Pic/Video mode. I will check tonight.

Ok. I'll probably check the cam tomorrow and see. Operating electronic devices is not exactly my specialty.....

@Hoyt4 I went through the menu and it gave the option of. Photo, video, both.

Looks like it will do what you want.

On 8/24/2018 at 1:54 PM, MJ1657 said:

@Hoyt4 I went through the menu and it gave the option of. Photo, video, both.

Looks like it will do what you want.

Thanks MJ

Looks like i have to pick up a couple more. We lost 3 more camera's this weekend. Just stopped working.

19 hours ago, chaffmj said:

Nice pics!

Thanks.

The buck I shot on opening day is the deer in the top two pictures.