• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I own the TITLE!!!

... of world's WORST Mushroom hunter...

But I did fid this guy... Actually I found 3 but only picked this one.  Hopefully I'll find some time to check back at the same spot later this week. I think it's a little early where I hunt. A few warm days this week after all this rain and they should be poppin'! (Yeah, yeah... I know you should use a porous mesh bag, but I didn't have any handy)

Morel_1.jpg

Every year I forget how good these are, three hours of wandering aimlessly was definitely worth it, even for just one tasty morsel.

Morel_2.jpg

For those of you who have never hunted them - can you find the mushroom in this pic?

Morel 3.jpg

4 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

No! Where is it??!

Morel 3.jpg

Easy to say "yeah well the camera is zoomed-out."  But this is your vantage point when searching.  It's almost like "glassing" a hillside when hunting.  You choose one small area in-front of you and scan it thoroughly before moving to the next.  Almost stepped on this guy before I spotted him.

I think I might hit the area off a well known bike path in Rochester, not mentioned to avoid upsetting delicate sensibilities but it is near a large mansion paid for by the pre medicare patients who needed treatment.  :D

With Morels it's pretty safe - no other 'shroom around here looks like them.  There are false morels that are poisonous, but I think they only exist in the southern US.  Also, even if we had them, it's easy to tell them apart.  True morels are hollow, falls ones are not.

On 5/2/2016 at 7:43 PM, ThunderLund78 said:

With Morels it's pretty safe - no other 'shroom around here looks like them.  There are false morels that are poisonous, but I think they only exist in the southern US.  Also, even if we had them, it's easy to tell them apart.  True morels are hollow, falls ones are not.

Actually Found a TON of Verpas on Sunday.....they look too close for comfort until you cut them in half and see the cottony threads inside.  And well the cap is only connected on the very tip.  But still too close for comfort.