• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swan Park Monticello

eyeguy 54

Huum, I thought that there was a little old lady that lived in Monticello that started feeding them a long time ago summer and winter and they kept coming back every year and growing more each year? Don't seem to see anything about her or her efforts on the sign others are taking a lot of the come back credit for! I think that her story was even in the paper or on the News one time? :(      

Edited by leech~~

45 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

this sign is right as you walk into the park. Can't miss it.  The green sign is by the river.  Happy now?? ;);) :P

Nope!  She should get more credit then she is. TRP & DNR seem to be making it all their work when she dropped them in their laps! ;)

Just saying they could have called it the Sheila Lawrence Memorial Swan Park. :)

Jim Lawrence has assumed the role of his late wife, Sheila, a k a “the Swan Lady.” Lawrence now spends 90 minutes every day feeding trumpeter swans on the Mississippi River in Monticello. blank.gif

Jim Lawrence has assumed the role of his late wife, Sheila, a k a “the Swan Lady.” Lawrence now spends 90 minutes every day feeding trumpeter swans on the Mississippi River in Monticello.
Edited by leech~~

17 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Just saying they could have called it the Sheila Lawrence Memorial Swan Park. :)

Jim Lawrence has assumed the role of his late wife, Sheila, a k a “the Swan Lady.” Lawrence now spends 90 minutes every day feeding trumpeter swans on the Mississippi River in Monticello. blank.gif

Jim Lawrence has assumed the role of his late wife, Sheila, a k a “the Swan Lady.” Lawrence now spends 90 minutes every day feeding trumpeter swans on the Mississippi River in Monticello.

Kare11 news just had a special on Swan Park and the husband who continues the feeding.  Pretty cool.

That is quite a flock of swans.  What a great reintroduction story it has been.  I don't recall ever seeing a trumpeter swan in MN as I was growing up.  Now they are somewhat common.  Looks like a great place to take pictures and watch their social interactions!  I didn't see any in the pictures with neck bands.  If you see neck bands and record the numbers you can report it to the FWS and they'll reply and tell you where the swans were banded.

1 hour ago, Sturg said:

That is quite a flock of swans.  What a great reintroduction story it has been.  I don't recall ever seeing a trumpeter swan in MN as I was growing up.  Now they are somewhat common.  Looks like a great place to take pictures and watch their social interactions!  I didn't see any in the pictures with neck bands.  If you see neck bands and record the numbers you can report it to the FWS and they'll reply and tell you where the swans were banded.

A whole lot of young birds there this year, too.   It looks like the swans had a real good year raising their young. A real nice success story.  Back when I was a yonker, we didn't very often see Canada geese either, but there sure are a bunch of them now.

1 hour ago, Sturg said:

got this pic 4 years ago today of one with a band. 

409103_3213798426013_278660545_n.jpg