• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where do you hunt?

smsmith

Where do you deer hunt?  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just curious where most users here deer hunt.  Mainly public, mainly private owned by you, or mainly private land owned by someone else?  I'd interpret "mainly" as the type of area that constitutes at least 51% of your hunting time

In Minnesota west of Walker we hunt 80 acres of private land that has a lot of tax forfeit county land around it with a forty owned by a friend adjacent.  Most of the deer we kill are on the public tax land.  If you count the swamps along the river it must be 500 acres plus that we cho ose to hunt and we could branch out even further and have all the space we'd want really.  If I could change something isit would be to have some terrain changes , it is incredibly  flat.

I hunt all private. 5 different parcels totaling about 500 acres.  Depending on land owner rules, they are treated differently, 2 of the parcels I only bow/muzzy , 1 I only bow, 1 I only rifle, 1 I do bow, rifle, muzzy.  4 are in managed and 1 in HC and all within 20 miles of my house...

I hunt all public, in zones 181, 182 (what little there is of it), 183 and 156.  

These days I spend most of my time trying to get my 13 year old his first deer.  Numbers have been tough the last couple years, and we have a wolf pack west of the house that the local CO said had 18 wolves in it (one of the largest in the state) as of last winter.

Moved from 183 last year (went to bucks only this year) to mainly 156 this year since it was lottery and gave my son a chance at a doe.  Still no luck this year.  I did spend a little time in 182, but since there is so little pubic (3 square miles total) it is overrun. Met folks from as far away as Mankato this year up to hunt it. The theory was since it is "intensive" there must be tons of deer there. Well there is, just mostly all on private.   

I am encouraged tho. I live in the very south end of 181, just above Hwy 210, and I have had way more deer at the house feeder this fall than the last 3 years. And saw more fawns this fall than the last two combined.  So hopefully that equates to a better herd in the future.  

I spend the first week of firearms hunting private land. we usually head home on Friday. After that I hunt the state land by our house the second 2 weekends. Bow hunting is on the state land and bear hunting is all state land.

I hunt all private land.  I put owned by someone else, as most of it is.  I do own some of it.  Some my Dad owns, which my siblings & I will likely own eventually.  Another farm is owned by my Uncle.  Those pieces are all pretty close to the same as me actually owning it, but I only actually own 50 acres.  The total of those, including mine, is about 360 acres.  3 places total with miles in between.

I have another 300 that I only bow hunt on, maybe ml, although really only about 120 of that is available to me for deer.  I can hunt the whole thing for turkeys.

Then I have another 560, 2 farms, that I firearm hunt on a little, but bow & ml as much as I want to.

Feel pretty fortunate to have the access I do.

Edited by bigbucks
typos

Thanks to everyone who voted on the poll.  It gives me quite a bit of insight into things.  Quite obvious that the vast majority of voters are hunting on land they don't own...that explains (to me) why habitat improvement threads on these forums don't get much traffic.  

I hunt a 120 where I live in zone 1 I do not own it as there's no need with the owner living in South Carolina and he has 0 plan to ever sell the farm, with 2 stands. I have an 80 in OTC with 4 stands. Hunt a property in Wadena county maybe 200 acres or so with 2 stands. And at my dads place 2 stands same county. I like to load the 30.06 and head into the Rum River state forest area, turn my H2Oc gps on that leaves a purple trail everywhere I go plus a compass and go on a 5-6 mile excursion GPS'ing in spots where I see ground scrapes/rubs/trails etc. for possible future hunts. My last hike saw 11 deer but understand shooting one that far in is a major undertaking getting it out. I should be carrying a shotgun for grouse.