• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Teal Dekes later in the season

Keep them handy. It is a good idea to have a little "flock" of teal off to one side of your main spread. We always put some within 100' or so.....watch ducks when you can' you'll often see a bunch of teal on the same pothole as larger ducks but off in their own corner.

And it never hurts to toss a couple into a spread of larger decoys.

I refuse to believe ducks are that smart. If they were we'd never kill any. They don't have the reasoning abilities to say to themselves, "hey, it's almost November. What are teal still doing here?" They might avoid certain species of ducks, but that's about it

My thoughts excactly.....Kind of off topic. Had a buddy of mine mention adding a few swan decoys to our spread? Is that a big no no? Or does it give the ducks/ geese confidence to land with your decoys? Anyone use them at all? I've watched them on the pond I live on and they sometimes chase other birds away or you'll see them with ducks all around them as calm as can be.

I really don't believe it matters what kind of decoys you have out when hunting puddlers but more that you are where they want to be..  

Ditto. Bodies on the water are bodies on the water. The only time I think species is of consideration is when targeting divers. Otherwise, the more the merrier. 

It all depends.  I have shot teal during a snow storm, mallards over divers and divers over puddle ducks.  I do think that having divers help hunting divers, mainly just black and whites.  Puddle duck hunting I think as long as they are brown you are fine.  Sounds odd but my puddle duck spreads consist mainly of hens and my diver spreads consist mainly of drakes.  I shot bluewings and greenings last week in southwest Sask.  Big lesson learned was don't be afraid to pull the mojo.  Had lots of ducks coming from a long ways away with it out but would not get within 60 yards, pulled it then they started decoying.  Was probably my highlight hunt since I hate using them. Thinking they were stale birds though too.

Kettle

There are still blue wings around. And the green wings will be around til freeze up as mentioned above. I agree with the above about it not mattering, to a point. I think the one thing that looks pretty unnatural is a spread of just mallards sitting on the water. And a lot of people hunt that way because they are cheap and easy to find. If you go sit and watch a refuge full of ducks during the migration you will see a huge mix of species, and i try to mimick that. For example, the spread I hunted over a few nights ago consisted of some mallards, a few idgeon, gadwall, and pintail,  a small group of teal, and some bluebills. I'll separate the teal and divers a bit but other than that its just a non-discriminating duck party.