• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Great elk hunt !

sportfish

Well it started alittle slow and 80 deg out on sept 11 but we tried . We had a great little cabin that butted up to some federal land . On day two we had not heard or seen any elk u till the evening. My friend buggeld once and a bull answered ! It was like on tv the bull came in on a string . With me 60 yard in from of the caller the bull was coming by me . I drew and waited for a broad side shot watching for branches . The bull was now at 20 yards ! ! I pick my spot and release the arrow ! 

Have pick my kid up from school I will get back to the story soon 

OK at this point the bull is at 20 yards broadside I'm not even nervous . All I can think is this is way too easy , just watch for branches pick your spot and release .  And you know what happened I hit a branch ! ! ! 

My frend  said that was the biggest bull he ever called in !   Oh well it wasn't meant to be for me .

The next day we got on the herd and the other guy with us hit a branch again and missed a cow . We saw a good bull but no shots on him . 

On Monday morning the light switch turned on the bulls were bugling and the cows were mewing all over the place! We saw three big Bulls but could not get set in the right place. That night the elk were alittle quite, and only seen a mule deer doe that look 300 lbs ! Boy was see big !

To be continued 

I had forgot to mention my Montana frend had to leave camp early for a family reason and I had been hunting with a guy I just meet . It's funny have fast you can make friends with some one when your both die hard hunters .  

Ok on to Tuesday morning , it had rained most the night and both of us were wore out and beat down . The rain let up as it got light out . We had no plan just suited up and went down the drive way and heard a bugel. So off we when toward the sound of the bull . About a hour later we were in a drainage with elk heading up hill .  I knew we needed to get agressive.  With in a few minutes we had caught up to them . Afew bugles and cow calls and brush was braking 20 yards from me . The bull aperared and I drew my bow but he was behind a few trees . Held at full draw for about 1.5 minutes now the bull at 20 yards he need to move 10 feet for a shot . My new friend was 40 yards behind me and let out a bugle and the bull bugles back ! The bull moved toward the caller and gave me a small window of a shot ! Shawack ! The bull ran 60 yards up hill and stopped dropped and gave me memories for life !  A great 5x5 bull was mine ! What a great first bow hunt for elk . Than the work came , 6 hours latter the meat was in camp .. I was wore out but still had a smile on my face .  

Thanks for reading  , I'm not a good writer but a good hunter . 

I don't know how to post pictures on here or I would 

image.thumb.jpg.a249a9b20ffa1db3d6334057

image.thumb.jpg.76412df4655a2fdf3d56b277image.thumb.jpg.d957f04c5cf8994ecb0f4301The cabin 

I had forgot to mention my Montana frend had to leave camp early for a family reason and I had been hunting with a guy I just meet . It's funny have fast you can make friends with some one when your both die hard hunters .  

Ok on to Tuesday morning , it had rained most the night and both of us were wore out and beat down . The rain let up as it got light out . We had no plan just suited up and went down the drive way and heard a bugel. So off we when toward the sound of the bull . About a hour later we were in a drainage with elk heading up hill .  I knew we needed to get agressive.  With in a few minutes we had caught up to them . Afew bugles and cow calls and brush was braking 20 yards from me . The bull aperared and I drew my bow but he was behind a few trees . Held at full draw for about 1.5 minutes now the bull at 20 yards he need to move 10 feet for a shot . My new friend was 40 yards behind me and let out a bugle and the bull bugles back ! The bull moved toward the caller and gave me a small window of a shot ! Shawack ! The bull ran 60 yards up hill and stopped dropped and gave me memories for life !  A great 5x5 bull was mine ! What a great first bow hunt for elk . Than the work came , 6 hours latter the meat was in camp .. I was wore out but still had a smile on my face .  

Thanks for reading  , I'm not a good writer but a good hunter . 

I don't know how to post pictures on here or I would 

image.thumb.jpg.a249a9b20ffa1db3d6334057

The cabin 

Let me fix these for ya. Nice Hunt!

image.thumb.jpg.d957f04c5cf8994ecb0f43015e5e229f.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.76412df4655a2fdf3d56b2775eba1079.jpg