• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many deer can one person take?

MUSKY18

I had a similar question and this is the dnr's reply

You can fill your archery tag on an antlerless deer in 215, then use your main firearm tag on a buck or a doe in 240, you don’t have to purchase a bonus tag. You can purchase a bonus tag, so if you do take a doe you can tag it with the bonus tag, thus saving your main tag for a buck in 215, but you don’t have too. Good luck.  

Hi, I plan on archery hunting zone 215 (managed) and rifle hunt zone 240 (hunters choice).  I want to take a doe in 215 if I get that chance, but still have a tag to hunt bucks in 240.  Do I need a bonus take to take the doe in 215, or can I use my primary archery tag for that and still be able to tag a buck (or another doe) in 240 during firearms season?

I think that would work, but want to be sure.

Yes, you would need to use two bonus tags(in managed area) if all are taken during rifle season.  Or you could use your main archery + muzzy tag (if taken during repective seasons of course) or archery+bonus or muzzy+bonus.

And yes 3 between HC and managed is legal.

I will try to figure out how to cut and paste from e-mail when I get home.

This is what was e-mailed me. From Kevin Kyle of the DNR.

Once a deer is taken in a bucks only, Hunter choice or lottery area, all being one deer only areas, a person would have to fill any remaining tags in either a 2 deer managed, 5 deer intensive or the metro 601 area. Only one deer can be taken in any and all bucks only, Hunter choice and or lottery areas combined. And only one buck per person  per year, regardless of licenses.

Yes you could take an antlerless deer in a lottery area if you are a winner in the lottery drawing with your firearm, then could fill your archery tag on a buck in a managed, intensive or 601 area.

And yes, once you take your one deer in any one deer area, you can purchase up to 2 bonus permits and take 2 antlerless deer in managed areas, or up to 4 in an intensive areas.

Not to exceed 5 deer total. Unless you are hunting in 601, then you can fill as many bonus tags on antlerless deer as you want.

Hope this helps.

Good luck. Kevin 

I had a similar question and this is the dnr's reply

You can fill your archery tag on an antlerless deer in 215, then use your main firearm tag on a buck or a doe in 240, you don’t have to purchase a bonus tag. You can purchase a bonus tag, so if you do take a doe you can tag it with the bonus tag, thus saving your main tag for a buck in 215, but you don’t have too. Good luck.  

Hi, I plan on archery hunting zone 215 (managed) and rifle hunt zone 240 (hunters choice).  I want to take a doe in 215 if I get that chance, but still have a tag to hunt bucks in 240.  Do I need a bonus take to take the doe in 215, or can I use my primary archery tag for that and still be able to tag a buck (or another doe) in 240 during firearms season?

I think that would work, but want to be sure.

I found that interesting that in your situation you can use 2 main tags, 1 in managed for a doe (archery) and 1 in HC for a buck (rifle). I never knew you could do that. I also hunt a combination of zones, HC and managed. Bow/rifle/muzzy. Definitely allows for a lot of options. Looks I can take 1 deer in HC (bow), 1 managed (rifle), 1 managed (muzzy). Only 1 being a buck and just use my main tags and not have to buy a bonus. Unless of course I am understanding it incorrectly.

Holy moly Rocky..........basically it seems that it is more important as to the area you are hunting (HC, Lottery or Bucks Only) as opposed to the license.  From reading all through these responses, I believe I am okay with what my plan is.  THE PLAN:  Bow hunt in managed area (214), so I will hopefully harvest a doe for the freezer and use a management tag for that.  That leaves me to hunt for a buck with my main bow tag OR using my firearms tag (Area 259, which is lottery) without breaking any rules and getting my hind end tied up in trouble. 

Personally, I think the DNR needs to do something to make things like this much more simple to understand and interpret for the hunters.  Why not just go to Bucks Only and Lottery?  In the areas that they want to have more does harvested, just give out more doe permits.  

Yep your good to go with your plan musky18.

I think it is pretty simple how it is,  symanatics gets in the and makes it confusing.  It has been this way for several years now, most of the state has to deal with 1 deer areas now that weren't there 7-8 years ago.  

And yes it is VERY IMPORTANT  to know what type area you are hunting.

Good luck to you all this fall, remember try to take it easy on the does, so our herd can continue to build.

I think this all came about because in the past, if you shot a deer with your bow and wanted to gun hunt, you had to buy a gun tag (that you couldn't use) so you could buy a valid bonus tag that you could use during gun season.  I may be wrong but I think hunters complained about that so it was changed.

Good timing of this thread. I just emailed the DNR a couple questions but forgot one.

Say 2 people are hunting Archery season in a HC zone. Person 1 shoots a buck with Archery in HC zone. Can he continue to hunt that zone during Archery season as long as he's with the other person and their unfilled tag? "Party hunting".

Good timing of this thread. I just emailed the DNR a couple questions but forgot one.

Say 2 people are hunting Archery season in a HC zone. Person 1 shoots a buck with Archery in HC zone. Can he continue to hunt that zone during Archery season as long as he's with the other person and their unfilled tag? "Party hunting".

yes, as long as BOTH OF YOU ARE HUNTING AT THE SAME TIME.  And not on the other side of the county from each other.