• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Concrete Grinding - Basement Floor - Stained Concrete

fishfinder72

Hey all,

Looking for some advice. I am remodeling my basement into a family room/bar and bedroom. I have carpet in the bedroom and family room area but the bar area and below the stairs is still concrete. It has some adhesive residue and paint residue from previous owners. I would like this area to not be carpet for spills and tracking snow/water/mud in from outside.

My thoughts are to stain the concrete and then clear seal over it. I am assuming I would need to get a grinder to get everything off and back down to concrete to do so? Anyone have recommendations or suggestions? I thought about tile or laminate but i like the stained concrete look. It is approximately 300sq feet.

Thanks for the insight.

Vinyl snap together, goes in just like wood laminate, same lengths. I put it in my kitchen and it works great for any area that might get wet, like bathroom or basement. Looks great, about $3 +- a foot and VERY easy to install. Nice on feet too. Big box stores and flooring stores have it. Wood or slate looks.

Good luck.

I had some wood laminate put in over a cement floor two years ago. The floor was very uneven and had to be leveled. Most was done with some cement floor leveling compound but the guy also had to do some grinding. Memory was that he used a grinder that had a vacuum attached. There was dust but it was less than I expected. Of course the room was totally empty and sealed off from the rest of the house so it wasn't a big deal. The guy wore a mask and ear protection and I would suggest it if you DIY.

Can't remember the name of it off the top of my head but Menards has this floating ceramic tile. It links together and then you grout it. I used it in our foyer and bathroom in our new home. Very easy and looks great. Look into that you can go right on concrete with it.

I wouldn't use any tile that needs grout. Basements tend to have some moisture in them and the grout could have issues with mildew and need maintenance. There are machines similar to buffers that have special heads with scrapers that will take off the residual glue and smooth or remove the loose paint. There is very little dust raised with this method. Then you could put down an epoxy coating in a cool color.