• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Legit Ford Vs Chev

I'm looking at getting a new truck currently have a F250 7.3 w/plow. I'm a ford guy so I am leaning towards the F150 Econoboost but would like to compare the Chevs, they don't seem to rust as bad or as quickly. I will not be putting a plow on this unit as I don't need it anymore. This will be a weekend driver to the lake and that is it.

What is the Chev equivalent to the Econoboost?

Any tips on getting the best value on a trade in when talking to the dealer, never traded a car in before.

Thanks,

Mike

Well this post is going to get very "interesting" very quickly. I believe compared to the eco boost would be the AFM which is what they've had for a long time now. I know when it first came out they had issues but they seem to have straightened it out. Those engines run forever but I might be a bit biased.

You just have to drive them all, with the different packages and motors you are interested in.

My Dad has an Eco-boost and loves it.....

My best friend test drove one and actually like the V8 more, and ended up buying that.

I have a 2013 Silverado that has been a great truck too. I bought it at the model year end and spent 12k less than I could have gotten the equivalent Ford for.

Dodge makes some nice trucks too, as does Toyota.

Know what you want to spend before you go shopping and stick to it.

A guy at work spent almost $60,000 on a F-150...... 2 years later he is wishing he would have spent half that..... He doesn't tow or haul anything and could get by with a 4 door sedan for a third of that price wink

What is the Chev equivalent to the Econoboost?

I won't get into the Chevy/Ford debate, as there is always enough of that.

Basically the 3.5L EB is equal to the 6.2L GM. Power specs will differ a little but they are pretty comparable in performance. Specs will vary depending on year, as both have been updating their engines and models. For the new F150 that is just starting to hit the lots, there is a new 2.7L EB that is equivalent to the 5.3L GM, but is a little quicker. MPG's are all within 1-2 of each other in 4wd models.

Right now only big difference is ford has aluminum bodies (others will follow) and ram diesel. Otherwise similar power, payload, mpg is across the board depending on model or configuration. Personal preference for look/interior is probably biggest factor for most people seeing on how the other stuff is so close, outside of aluminum ford/dodge diesel for half tons.

Think of it this way. They are going to make money on your trade so you will make more if you can sell it yourself. However if your trade is worth a lot sometimes the tax savings can make up for some of it as you only pay tax on the price difference. I also find it easier to just deal on a new vehicle without a trade. Search out the invoice price minus any rebates etc. and figure out what you are willing to pay over invoice price. Unless its a rarer vehicle like a Vette etc. someone will sell one for $500 or less over invoice.

This will be a weekend driver to the lake and that is it.

Thanks,

Mike

The Chevy V6 is putting out 305 hp.

Check out the 2.7L EB also going into the F150 with 325 HP and 375 lb/ft of torque. As Scott K said, the '15 won't rust wink

Not only will the new Ford F-150 not rust, it will be very difficult to dent. I recently visited my local Ford dealer and they had a sample of the aluminum that will be used in the new F-150. Here are couple photos, that's a quarter in the photo for comparison.

IMG952163_zps97b68291.jpg

IMG952164_zps29885d4f.jpg

Now the bad news. Supplies of the new F-150 will be extremely limited for the next six months. My local Ford dealer is medium sized and they will be getting only 4 new F-150's this month and they won't receive another shipment until next April. If you want one, better put down a deposit on one now.

Nice info Walt. That is good to know about the thickness of the aluminum and props to Ford for it.

My work truck is a 2015 Chevy and we have several in the company. They have reduced the thickness of the steel on their trucks to the point the sides of the box flex when you lean on them and you can see the spots where there are welds because the thin metal deforms a bit t the location. You can see it in all our trucks. I imagine they are doing that to shave weight for MPG but they went too far IMO.

I like the aluminum idea.

2015 Fords won't rust but they will probably corrode like the tailgates on the expeditions. Alumimum is not a corrosion free material. Also had a buddy who had a Land Rover that had a alumimum tailgate that was corroding pretty badly. If your looking for something that resists rust I would stay away from Dodge unless they have improved a lot lately, as I see lots newer Dodges with quite a bit of rust especially over the rear wheel wells. Not too much you can do living in Minnesota to avoid rust, but I have seen some older vehicles with rust proofing stickers on the window and they actually seemed to be in much better shape then ones without. DieselDan

As someone who has worked on aluminum vehicles for 35+ years I can tell you firsthand they still dent, they still corrode and are much more difficult to repair when they do. Aluminum has a poor memory when it comes to straightening dents, and I'd wager more parts will be replaced than repaired which raises costs. Special precautions have to be taken for any type of body work on them. Literally less than 10% of the shops in the country are prepared to do it properly, and insurance companies know this. Any aftermarket add-ons that you do to your vehicles have to have special precautions taken to avoid corrosion, and every add-on fastener that is used on the vehicle is a potential for corrosion. Aluminum and steel do not play well together. It remains to be seen how these issues will be dealt with long term.