• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big weekend at the Engel household

Scoot

Tomorrow my son, Ryan, turns 10. Besides being Thanksgiving and his birthday, it's also the day Ryan can first legally bowhunt for deer in MN. He started the countdown at 52 days and has told me the number of days to go until he can hunt since then. He and I are both very excited!

Hard to believe he went from this:

HPIM0120_zps06968f4c.jpg

To this:

P1030033_zps1784c78c.jpg

...in just ten years! But he did!!!

Headed for the woods in the AM. It's supposed to be -5, so it'll be a cold start for him in his deer hunting career. We'll have fun though!!!

I will say this, Ryan has a lot of practice in and he can shoot. Few eks ago I was up hunting Scoots place and Ryan asked if I wanted to watch him shoot.

Ryan is truly ready to harvest a deer and a great kid any parents would be proud of.

Ryan has been coming with his dad and other to hunt in North Dakota on the ranch and I love it when they come out and do what they do.

Good luck Ryan, maybe you can see the nice buck I saw cross the river or that bobcat that was by the blind by the food plot.

Thanks so much for the very kind words, Tom. Ryan enjoyed your visit and

he's told a couple dozen people about the big ND buck you told him about!

We got blanked tonight! I had a good feeling about tonight, but it didn't happen. I'm still hopeful we can get a deer past Ryan. However, we're headed out of town next weekend and Christmas prep is coming fast. We'll get out every chance we get, but who knows how many times that'll be.

P.S. Tom, I shot doezilla the day before Thanksgiving. She was that huge dark-coated doe you told me about. You were right- she's enormous!

Did u get her by the food plot or in that area?

Yep. We were in the ground blind on the South side of the plot. She came in from the West and cautiously made her way over near us. I could have shot at 29 yards, but I was pretty sure I was going to get a closer crack at her and fortunately I was right. She eventually offered a 12 yard quartering away shot and I made good on it (picture perfect shot opportunity). She was a whopper!

We got blanked there last night trying to get Ryan a chance at one. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been blanked there. However, last night was one of them.

Well... in spite of my confidence in Ryan's shooting he missed not one, but two shots at a small button buck this evening. Tears were rolling after both misses! Poor kid's confidence is really shaken. We'll keep practicing this week and try get his head in a good place before his next outing in the woods.

Tell him it happens to everyone. I hope he gets another chance. I can't imagine his how excited he will get when it does happen. Late season heavy clothes, Buck fever the pressure of missing. His joy will be immense when it happens.

Mwal

couldn't tell you how many times I shed a tear when I was a kid over missing things. I think it's a positive. I wish I got so geared up these days that if and when I missed any game animal I'd get upset. I'm pretty sure I was more bothered as a kid by missing something than not making an athletic team.

It will make it sweeter when he eventually connects. Then you'll both be crying or at least dad will be!