• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog rules?

So, chased a few roosters this weekend and always struggle with what to do when the dog (lab) gets birdy. She'll take off like a cut cat chasing a running bird, and I'm never sure if I should hold her back, or go with her?

Get a pointer and you won't have to chase them grin

Seriously though, you have to stick with a flusher on a runner and hope it flushes in range. The best utilization of a flusher is to work near the edge and let the dog herd the birds toward the end of the cover. Birds are more likely to bust there, and you'll be closer to the flush for a shot. Granted, this only works if your dog works birds toward you. If it chases them the other direction, well, make sure your cross trainers are tight.

I stop the dogs. I usually hunt with other people so maybe its different because of that. The dog usually finds the bird anyway. Running after the dog and having the bird flush makes for a tougher shot, not the safest in heavy rooster cover also.

I keep my dogs in range and error on having them closer rather than having to take long shots.

When I was younger I used to chase after my dog chasing a running bird. Looking back on it I realized it was not a smart thing running thru a field with a loaded gun. I now bring my dog back and work the area towards the way the rooster was running. More times than not the bird will settle down again somewhere where the cover is thicker and then you got him.

How do you know when the dog it going after a 'runner' and when she is just plain out of control?
My dogs have always gone in a straight line when on the trail of a running bird. That is after much effort to really narrow down the location, but its usually pretty obvious when they are right on it because the dog will be going in a straight direction.

I have hunted behind Britts for over 30 years now. I can tell you we rarely if ever hunt in some form of straight line march. I generally keep along my desired path but have not problem taking a detour to follow the dog.

If the birds are running some dogs panic and others don't. Those that panic often chase the birds too aggressively and bump them by over "running them". Other dogs by experience or "just have the knack" keep their composure better.

Don't assume birds are running straight ahead of you unless you are walking some sort of designed SoDak pay to play cover strips. The pheasants will circle, cut, etc...

To be honest. I have no problem setting my dogs down on cover just walked by a group of four guys and whistle and e-collar controlled dogs. They may find a few, but move past an amazing amount of birds.

Run away if you're hunting alone. If you're with me give the dog a jolt and get her back where she belongs. How do you know when the dog it going after a 'runner' and when she is just plain out of control?

Your shocking dogs that are on active birds. eek

I have hunted behind Britts for over 30 years now. I can tell you we rarely if ever hunt in some form of straight line march. I generally keep along my desired path but have not problem taking a detour to follow the dog.

Don't assume birds are running straight ahead of you unless you are walking some sort of designed SoDak pay to play cover strips. The pheasants will circle, cut, etc...

You misunderstood what I typed. I said a straight line AFTER they have the bird cornered. Meaning yes, they are working side to side, forward and back, birds running in circles etc, but when that dog does all that and then starts going in a straight line almost 100% of the time its a running bird that is about to flush.

I have a general idea of where I want to walk as I start in a field, mainly using the wind direction or cover to dictate, but once the dogs hit the field that gets thrown out the window. If you walk straight lines or have a set "plan" in place to walk, you will go by birds. Follow the dog, they can smell the birds, not you.

You misunderstood what I typed.

Actually I was not at all commenting on your post. I was commenting on the posts above about those that chose to march down in line with dogs in complete check. Probably works fine for them. I am much more successful hunting in small groups or even alone and trusting my dogs nose and instincts.

Pheasants often run out of cover or flush wild this time of year whether being pursued by dogs or just jumpy. The way I look at it is if my dog bumps a bird ... not much different than me missing shots ... both look at each other and move on.

Watch your dogs tail. When my dog is birdy her tail is going nuts. If she is on a runner her tail is straight and she looks more like a cat stocking a bird, and that's how I know to keep up with her... Try to learn your dogs actions and you'll know exactly what to do. Just my 2 cents.

Iv'e always had flushers, acually retrievers (labs) so yes I keep them within range even if it means giving them a correction when on a running bird, if they choose to chase it, out of control and range. I will not chase my dog they are hunting for me not themselves.. Over time they learn to hunt by my rules, sure we may pass over some birds but we don't flush many out of range...

I am by no means an expert as I'm 4 years into my first Brittany, but I find it's nearly impossible to turn my Brit off a runner even with a shock collar. When I lit her up in the past when on runners, it negatively affected her hunting and we have yet to later flush what I think is the same bird.

It's not hard to recognize when my Brit is on good scent and is dialing in on the bird's location prior to pointing. When she's in that mode, I keep up with her within reason. Obviously, if she bolts 200 yards that's going to be tough. Keeping up with her has allowed me to harvest a lot more birds than I otherwise would have. What I've found is she'll get around in front of them, stop and point them, and wait for me to get there. If I'm not there in time, the bird gets nervous and flushes.

I understand the rationale for not wanting to chase a dog that is on a runner, but my experience says if you want to bag that bird you better get moving.

I am by no means an expert as I'm 4 years into my first Brittany, but I find it's nearly impossible to turn my Brit off a runner even with a shock collar. When I lit her up in the past when on runners, it negatively affected her hunting and we have yet to later flush what I think is the same bird.

It's not hard to recognize when my Brit is on good scent and is dialing in on the bird's location prior to pointing. When she's in that mode, I keep up with her within reason. Obviously, if she bolts 200 yards that's going to be tough. Keeping up with her has allowed me to harvest a lot more birds than I otherwise would have. What I've found is she'll get around in front of them, stop and point them, and wait for me to get there. If I'm not there in time, the bird gets nervous and flushes.

I understand the rationale for not wanting to chase a dog that is on a runner, but my experience says if you want to bag that bird you better get moving.

I do not believe Britts should ever be corrected with electronic collars while on birds. If by chance your dog hits point when you hit the bottom ... you may have just created a dog that blinks or avoids pointing birds.

I quit after a couple times when it didn't work anyway. Her bird drive is so high she'd ignore the shock until I got higher than I wanted to go. After letting her work the bird a few times, I realized if I'd let her go she'd get ahead of them and hold them til I got there if they'd stay put. Works much better.