• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Duffman solo in pics

Thanks leech~~

10 second timer, I've got some mad scrambling skillz.

smile

full-552-50365-img_2670(1024x768).jpg

You are very good my friend! Do you know how many times it took me to take a shot of my Turkey last spring with a timer? I thought the meat was going to spoil! tiredgrin

one tip my son taught me when trying to take solo pics of a fish or a deer with yourself in it. I'm talking cell camera. Take a video instead and then take a screen shot of the part of the video that turns out the best. I was surprised the quality of the photos and at least in my case do a better job than anything else I've tried.

I see you have a reflector oven and one of those foldable GSI aluminum tables. How do you like those? How much weight/bulk do they add to your pack?

We like to go in deep to get a bit of solitude and "better" fishing and usually the food pack is the bulkiest thing. I am hesitant to get more stuff since I bring a 10'x10' bug screen enclosure during the summer months. If you have more than 2 people it's essential so that everyone can hang out in a common area and play cribbage/eat. That being said, we all have 2 man tents (going as couples). I guess it'd trim a lot of weight to instead bring one large tent...

Was this your first solo? I'm tempted to go solo next Oct. I know it will be cold but have done late Sept trip before which drizzled almost every day. You really have the place to yourself. I'd like to do a cast and blast tour... probably not smart to go alone when it's that cold though. I always wetfoot so those boots would be a good investment for a late season (or early fishing opener) trip.

If you're comfortable in a solo canoe, there's no reason to avoid taking a late-season trip. I try to take a solo every April or May before fishing opener (last two years didn't happen, obviously), and if I'm on big water, I play it safe and stick by shore, even if it's not that windy. Or--more commonly--I plan to stick to smaller water that isn't as likely to get choppy if the wind does pick up.

It's definitely something to be aware of, but if you're careful and smart and not in a big hurry, there's no reason to avoid soloing early or late in the year. Just my .02.

The reflector oven has really changed the way I go about food these days.

It's super lightweight and folds flat.

Having pizza a couple nights during the trip is as tasty as it sounds.

Stuff can "bake" for a while and I do not have to keep such a close eye on it like when cooking in other ways.

Did an awesome apple crisp while boat camping last fall with the Mrs.

As for the GSI table, not really needed but it doesn't take up much space.

Some trips I bring it, some I don't.

It's nice for inside the tent.

I just bought some new side tables for camping and should recieve them soon.

10"x12" and 15" high.

Bought them more for camping when weight and room in packs aren't an issue.

But if they fold up small enough and don't seem to heavy (2 lbs), I'll add one to my solo camping list.

And I solo in the spring or fall, stick to small water and only go in a few miles where I then base camp the whole time. Usually see a snow flurry or two. And since I'm not that far in there, I tend to see a couple folks a day.

I think I'd avoid big water just because you can plan as much as you want but can never tell what weather will be like. I've been stranded from the wind in tandem canoes before (usually when a nasty storm is moving in...) and can only imagine how miserable I'd be in that situation if I were by myself.

I've seriously considered building or buying a reflector oven, but I guess I'm historically mostly a summer tripper and don't like to spend time at a campfire during the summer. It takes time to gather wood (we usually paddle to a corner of the lake w/o a campsite to gather downed wood, which is kind of a fun adventure), build the fire, tend to it, etc. and I'd rather be fishing, collecting berries, or traveling. Not to mention the fact that the bugs are godawful during the summer.

I think my best purchases for up there are a gravity filter to replace my MSR miniworks handpump and a screen enclosure.

Do you guys ever see geese up there in the early fall? How about any ducks besides mergansers? As fun as it'd be to hunt some waterfowl and maybe bag a grouse or two, I'd honestly be afraid of losing my 870 to the drink if I went solo. I guess I could always make a PFD for it and bring along an oiled rag or something in case it gets wet.

Rarely see geese that aren't sky high and on the move south. There are tasty Black ducks around and some of the diver species, so it's not just merg's hanging out. I usually tie the guncase to the thwart to avoid any trips to Davey Jones's locker.

And honestly, it's hard grouse hunting unless you hunt the portage trails or wood collecting trails that fan out from campsites.

It get's dark early in the fall(6:30 sunset), so you do spend more time around the fire than in the summer. And without bugs, it's nice to hang out in camp in the evening.

I love my gravity filter, but it's not recommended to use it in freezing temps.

So I check the weather forecast beforehand and only bring it if temps will stay above 32.

Otherwise I'm pumping.

When grouse hunting its probably best to get out on some of the hiking trails. It should give you a little more visibility.

Discharging a firearm at campsites or on portages is illegal but I don't believe the regulations mention anything about hunting the hiking trails.

Also I agree its best to tie the gun to the thwarts, I do the same with my fishing rods. Keeps things out of the way, eliminates something you have to carry by hand across a portage, and it keeps things safe from falling in the water or damage at portages.

Quote:
Discharging a firearm is prohibited within 150 yards of a campsite, or occupied area, or in any manner or location that places people or property at risk of injury.

One man's hiking trail is another man's portage.

smile

Most of the hiking trails up there are also portages at some point.

I'm guessing the campsite rule is in place to try and prevent target shooting at the campsites and it's a rule in all of the National Forests. Just be smart and safe about hunting up there.

A lot of folks that visit do not know that hunting is legal in the BW.

I've had to explain that fact a couple of times, and after finding out what I was doing is indeed legal, they usually wished me luck.

I think portages are pretty obvious and are pretty easily distinguish from designated hiking trails. The map will tell you which is which. Hiking trails will usually intersect portages or possibly blend with the portage for a short distance. I'd just make sure to get off the portage trail itself and onto the hiking trail.

Most of it is about common sense. You're right about the reason for not discharging firearms at campsites. There would be far too much target practice.

Not hunting portages is certainly related to the fact that you are much more likely to run into people using the portages. A lot of the hiking trails in the BWCA are very lightly used so odds are you'll have the trail to yourself.