• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2014 DIY New Mexico Elk Hunt - The Land of Enchantment

NoWiser

CodyDawg, this is a technique that can work on either, but is most effective on bigger bulls. It's particularly effective on bulls that have cows with them. However, it can work on a lone bull without cows is he's in the right mood. The key is to know if he's in the right mood, which you can if you know what he's telling you when he's calling. Depending upon what calls/sounds he's making one can tell if he's aggressive/assertive or if he's trying to just play nice and not step on any other bull's toes.

It's vitally important to know what's happening so you can know what type of call to make. Going in screaming your head off at every opportunity won't be the best approach for sure. Tooting on a bugle and expecting a bull to come storming in from 600 yards away isn't the most likely scenerio either (although it can happen). Does the bull you're after want company or does it want to avoid any company? Is the bull chuckling or is he grunting at the end of his bugle? Does he have cows with him? ...and on and on! Lots of info will go into determining what the best approach is. Often I don't know what the right answer is, but I often do know what I think will work best based on the calls I've heard, the elk I've seen, where they're located, etc. Mostly it's listening to the calls the bull's making and knowing what they mean so I know how to best approach calling to him.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fishalittle, I use the Chuckler by Elknut. However, there are a ton of good ones. I've heard good things about the Bully Bugle and about the Powerbugle too, and I wouldn't hesitate to use either one.

I much prefer a diaphram call to a bugle that has latex somehow incorporated into it. However, some prefer the opposite. There's no way for anyone to tell you what your preferences will be without you trying them. However, if you're already using a diaphram call I'd suggest you just get a bulge tube to add to your diaphram calls.

Regarding diaphram calls you'll want at least two of them: one that'll let you do higher pitched calls like cow calls and spike/immature bulls and one that's a little lower, nastier for aggressive bugling. Either one can be used for the other, but neither will have the range that'll allow you to cover all you'd ever want, so I'd suggest at least those two to cover both types of calls.

At least that's my take on this. Jim? Others? It's good to get other's opinions on the matter...

Though I hesitate to offer much advice until I find myself able to consistently kill elk (or even kill a single elk), my take on it is much the same as Scoot's. It is not hard to judge a bull's mood from the sound of his bugles. There is a big difference between a locator bugle or chuckle and a scream or aggressive bugle with grunts.

It's kind of like the difference in tone my fiancé used yesterday while communicating with me after work. The first tone she used when she thanked me for finally changing out the water filter on the refrigerator so the light quit blinking. The other tone she used when she opened it and found that hundreds of tiny worms that were hiding in the mushroom I had picked the day before had migrated to all corners of said refrigerator. I didn't (couldn't) need to understand the actual words she was using to know exactly what her mood was at the time, and the best course of action for me to take.

The difference is often just as obvious with elk. Many agree that aggressively bugling at timid bulls will chase them away, and timid bugling at aggressive bulls will get you ignored. That's been my philosophy, but we all know how well it worked for me the last two years smile

If I were you, I'd learn to call with a diaphragm if that is not what you are already doing. I don't think the grunt tube makes a real big difference. I also use Elknut's chuckler. It's light and cheap. You could probably get a $2.00 wiffle ball bat, cut it to the right size, and use some spray adhesive to glue some camo fabric to it and have a perfectly functional grunt tube.

I, too, am a fan of Elknut. Been listening and reading his stuff for awhile now.

I have a few cow diaphragm calls but my bugle call is a latex model. I might have to look into a different one before archery in WY next year.

Just got off the phone with my cousin in Idaho and he had much the same experience as you NoWiser (but not as many contacts). Most of the time his encounters ended with the herd grazing 400 yards out of the timber with nothing he could do but watch them.

I am an elk nut fan and have the DVD's. Guess another order is in the future.

Will have to try the diaphragm calls. So far had best luck with Carlton's Lonesome Cow and the hunters specialties Bull Hooker calls. Have tried Primos but didn't seem to get the knack for them. The two I like are real easy to make a variety of cow calls however the bull hooker is not hands free. That is more important now!

I have the bugling bull extreme tube and my buddies have the power bugle. Now I'm not saying that one is better than the other. I might just plain stink at chuckling. So I never used it out in Colorado. Just stuck to cow calls and a location bugle.

The power bugle sounds awesome chuckling and can be packed since its a smaller tube and flexible. I don't know if you can lip bawl with it to get that aggressive bugle. If I don't get this chuckling down, I might be investing in a power bugle.

I do love the way bugling bull tube bugles though. Plus you can throw out a louder cow call in the wind if you had to. There was two of us calling for a friend and after his cow call I threw out a nasty bugle unexpectedly and the shooter look like he'd just had a cardiac arrest. Nice and loud like a real bull.

The diaphragms I used were the mellow yellow, All star and a white and blue Primos ones. When cow calling I just loved the temptress open reed. But like mentioned it's not hands free. I'm looking to try some phelps diaphragms.

I've heard elknut use a chuckle on his video and I can get close to that no problem. Then when you hear Jason phelps chuckle, wow that's what I'm talking about. It seems a lot different. I cant put my finger on it yet. I do have time to practice before my next trip.

I'd like to hear how No wiser's chuckle sounds like, cause I need help. I've watched plenty videos but still can't master it.

Man I was pulling for you. I thought you were going to make it happen. Awesome memories. I know I didn't fill a tag in MT a few years ago and was upset at the time. But I won't trade the time or memories for nothing now. Other than the longing to get back out there.

Nowiser,

Curious on your decision to get the BT2 rather than the BT1. Do you think it would have had enough room if you did not purchase extra pockets? Thinking back, would you still have purchased the BT2? Thanks for the insight. These packs are too expensive to buy the wrong size!

huntingislife,

Sorry, I just saw your post, so I'm about 3 months late replying.

The BT2 is plenty big for me. I added extra pockets more for convenience than anything. I could easily get 10 days worth of supplies for a backpacking hunt in it, if I needed to. And, that's without super top of the line gear.

When I got the pack I figured the smaller size would force me to pack more conservatively, and it did. I'd say the size is just perfect. I know many prefer a bigger size so they can pack an animal and camp out at once but I'd just be kidding myself if I thought I was strong enough to do that without getting hurt.

If you are ever down in the south metro and want to take a look at the pack, just send me a PM.

huntingislife, know you didn't ask me, but I'll chime in here too. I went from a Highcamp bag to a Nomad this year and I gotta tell ya, I LOVE the Nomad. I'm a huge fan of batwing style packs to begin with, but the Nomad is the cat's behind! I hauled six loads of 80-90 lbs this year in my Bikini frame and Nomad and the pack is wonderful for hauling. The straps and wings allow you to lock in the load where ever you want it and you can hold it super solid. I also love being able to put my camp in my bag that I carry between the wings and my day hunting gear in the main body of the pack (in each wing essentially). This allows me to pack in, dump or set up camp, and be totally ready to hunt immediately. Just another option to totally confuse you! smile