• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

? on atv trailer.

ripstick

I bought a 5x8 trailer six years ago. It has a wood decking floor and powder coated metal sides. Pulls down the road well. I like the size as I can haul my wheeler plus other things i am hauling to my land with me. If I had to do it over though i would buy an aluminum trailer, I have had to do quite a bit of sanding and repainting of the sides from the powder coating coming off and the metal underneath rusting. If you have a shed or something to keep the trailer out of the elements it probably would not be an issue.

Purchased a 12ft alum trailer approx 7 years ago. Pull's great and I use it for more than just the wheeler.

I do have the sides on it and my endgate is one that folds in half.

Only issue I have had is with the bolt's that hold the end gate sections together as they can sieze up after 2-3 years.

Every spring, I take the bolts out, 4 of them and clean them up with a wire wheel and then put some anti sieze on them. Maybe an hours job and never had another issue with one siezing up.

I also use some chemical I spray on and wash off at the car wash as the alum will oxidize to a duller finish and one can keep it looking new by cleaning it every so often.

I have a bear track trailer also and like it a lot. Mine is 5x8 it was about $2000 with tax. lic and a spare tire with tire carrier. Prior to that I had a steel one the was a bucket of rust in a couple of years.

I went through 2 steel trailers and then got a 6' by 10' Bear Tracker aluminum with 2' removable sides for around $1700. It also has the folding tail gate. If you can afford it buy a good trailer and you won't have to replace it every 5 to 6 years because of rust.

I bought a steel 5x8 from TSC for $750 about 12 years ago. It rusted the first day I used it (salty roads). It's still structurally sound with a couple bends in the ramp, side rails and the tongue, none of which were caused by me. It tows great and you don't know it's behind you.

On the flip side, my dad had an Aluma and although it also followed a tow vehicle well, it would rattle every buck out of the county. Extremely noisy.

I wouldn't hesitate a minute to buy another Floe trailer. I bought mine brand-new in 1994 and it still working well today! I have redecked it once in all those years and I used new marine grade plywood. Much of the wiring is even original, and that is unheard of in Minnesota. The trailer is used frequently and has thousands and thousands of miles on it hauling everything from snowmobiles to four wheelers, building materials and yard waste. All that and they are made within 2 miles of my cabin, so it helps the local economy.

The alum trailers may make a bit of noise while towing but they do not rust, I will put up with a little noise for the lack of rust.

Mine is not that bad unless I am towing it with next to no load, pretty quiet with the wheeler on it.

The alum will make more noise than a steel one simply due to the fact it is so much lighter. Also nice when one wants to move it, one hand I can can movwe it where I want it.

After hearing the prices above, mine was a steal at $1,100 for the trailer, sides and a extra wheel. But that was alot of years ago.

I bought a triton 8.5 x 10 aluminum trailer and love it. So light I can move it by hand. Haul 2 wheelers or 2 golf carts. Has the gas shock that keeps it tilted so I can load wheelers by myself. Throw a coat of thompson seal on the wood and it still great after 12 years. Replaced tires a few years ago as they were getting weather checked. Love it.

I bought a Bear Track aluminum trailer 11 years ago. Today, it looks and works the same as the day I bought it home, even after thousands of miles going down the highway and spending its entire life sitting outside. The best part is they are made in southern Minnesota. Nothing better than dealing with a local company with an excellent reputation in my book. Check them out, you won't be disappointed.