• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Free Agent Thread

JP Z

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cassel gives the vikes a decent offense. Its not the offense I'm worried about though... This defense is still well below average at best. Zimmer better be able to work some magic. ANYTHING is an upgrade over the cover 2.

Id like to see the vikes grab Verner in FA for sure and draft either DL or LB with the 8 pick or trade back. No too hard to find upgrades for the rest of the Defense in FA either... Anyone is better then who we had last year

It's a very strong FA market for CB's this year...the Vikes need to sign a starting caliber CB to pair him with Rhodes. IMO, even if they have to over-pay for one they'll still be o.k. since Rhodes will still be on his rookie contract for a few more years.

Fix the secondary in FA and concentrate on DL and LB in the draft. How nice would Rhodes and Verner sound heading into next year??

Spend some $$$ Rick!!

I would love to get Verner, and Johnson from FA. That would plug 2 big holes in our defense. Restructure Greenways contract, and sign a decent LB, and use the draft to fill in the remaining holes, and you can then draft BPA. We do have the money to do that, so it is possible.

I'd have to guess Johnson is off our radar now after signing Griffen, that's probably why we signed Griffen and gave him a good deal shortly after talking with Johnsons agent.

I doubt Johnson wanted to play on this team for one and probably is looking for monster cash.

Quote:

Buccaneers signed DE Michael Johnson, formerly of the Bengals, to a five-year, $43.75 million contract.

The deal includes $24 million guaranteed, the fourth-highest figure among defensive ends. Johnson will slide in at right end opposite Adrian Clayborn in Tampa, making Da'Quan Bowers a backup. With Johnson, Clayborn, and DT Gerald McCoy in the fold, the Bucs should be able to get more consistent pressure from the front four. Johnson has racked up 21 sacks the past three seasons.

Quote:

According to NFL Network, the Vikings are a possible landing spot for Darren Sproles.

Sproles hasn't officially been cut by the Saints yet as they try to trade him. But if that doesn't work, we can easily connect the dots to Minnesota. New Vikings OC Norv Turner coached Sproles in San Diego from 2007-10 and Adrian Peterson has never excelled in the pass game.

Sproles would give Cassel a nice place to dump a pass off.

How much would you want to invest in a CB. Sounds like Revis is going to be available. He's currently available via trade but if no trades are made it sounds like he'll be cut. He's got a monster contract for a CB right now so I wouldn't trade for but if he's cut you could negotiate a new deal that is hopefully a bit more cap friendly.

Buccaneers signed DE Michael Johnson, formerly of the Bengals, to a five-year, $43.75 million contract.

The deal includes $24 million guaranteed, the fourth-highest figure among defensive ends. Johnson will slide in at right end opposite Adrian Clayborn in Tampa, making Da'Quan Bowers a backup. With Johnson, Clayborn, and DT Gerald McCoy in the fold, the Bucs should be able to get more consistent pressure from the front four. Johnson has racked up 21 sacks the past three seasons.

That should take them out of the running for trading up to try and land Clowney. Mack or Watkins may be likely here now.

I'd take Sproles but have ZERO interest in Revis-Island. No thanks, he's still got a few years left but for what cost? I think hes a player but he will demand too much, I see some team taking the bait I just hope it aint us. Draft a CB. The other FA CBs are demanding a premium.

Greenway is decent with a supporting cast at the LB spot. On his own he is over his head, look back at this year. He has pretty good instincts but lacks size and speed. He can do a nice job at being in the right position to make a play but when he has to cover a large area because guys are not experienced, poor tacklers, selfish, (mostly what we have here at LB) he looks bad because the D is bad. I think Greenway is a pretty good Will, this team just needs a Mike and Sam.

We need another interior D-lineman, Floyd is not that good and if he has the talent he needs to be pushed to show it. I was not impressed at all last year with his play. Very mediocre.

We need another interior D-lineman, Floyd is not that good and if he has the talent he needs to be pushed to show it. I was not impressed at all last year with his play. Very mediocre.

That's real hard to say since we didnt play him at all. Just like the old coach staff couldnt figure out how to play E Griffen, and they couldnt figure out how to play Patterson. Floyd had impressive flashes. I hope with coaching guys like him, Loadholt, and Josh Robinson will become better players.

And yes, we dont need one of these overpriced corners. You cant buy team chemistry. These FAs are mostly worthless.

I love how on ESPN's Free Agent Tracker they grade guys....granted I don't put much faith into their grades but Griffen is a D.......hopefully they are WAY off.

Scratch that.........Just looked at the reasoning for the Grading system now...it doesn't say anything about talent to be honest.

They were then given a final grade corresponding to the value and term of the contract a team would be expected to commit.

A: $6 million-plus AAV (annual average value), three-plus years in term and/or guaranteed money

B: $2 million to $6 million AAV, two years or fewer in term and/or guaranteed money

C: $2 million or less AAV, two years or fewer in term and/or guaranteed money

D: minimum salary, one-year contract

To me I think the Vikes biggest problem in free agency is deciding if you are building a team to win this year playing outdoors or writing the next couple years off and picking up guys to thrive in our new stadium. Do you sign the bruiser types that thrive in the cold weather and harsh conditions(pre-metro dome) or guys that thrive in the dome atmosphere. I don't really like recycling Jasper Brinkley because he didn't do squat last go around and i feel if Griffen was any good he would have been a starter. We need a legitimate stud at middle line backer and a horse at D tackle similar to Big Pat. I think if you are able to fill those two holes on defense we would be a much better team. Revis would be a huge improvement from what we currently have at CB but i wouldn't spend the money unless he is going to take a pay cut.