• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowmobile 2 cycle oil?

Walleyehooker

I was going to switch to Amsoil in my three, after using Polaris in the Polaris's, and Yamalube in the Yammie... But after the gallon of $40 Amsoil is gone (using it in only one sled) I am going to go to all Yamalube ($32 gallon) in all of them.

Main reason for not going all amsoil is simple - it is too clear to just look through the oil reservoir and see the level, which is easy to do with the blue Yamalube.

I am sure that off brand would likely work just as well, but for how little the cost different is and how relatively little oil I go through, I will keep using what I do. (I.e. using my Merc Quicksilver for over 30 years in all my outboards just plain works for me. Looking to do the same with Yamalube in sleds.)

When I was running the old Panther that was strictly on premix I pretty much used whatever was on sale. I passed it on to my nephews several years back and it still runs good.

Now in the Polaris I use Amsoil Interceptor instead of Polaris VES oil.

Ill have to check out FF next time I get over that way. I called over there and they carry a Arctic blue and Mystic brand. Are you running a full synthetic or synthetic blend in the older sleds? I think the last Cat oil I bought was a synthetic blend for the older sleds.

For years I heard people talk about using Klotz oil, but I have never used it and don't know anyone that does? Wasn't this big in the Racing arena for a while? confused You hear guys kid around about "smelling my Koltz" still.

I have been wondering the same thing. We have a 2003 AC 570 fan and I see there is regular and synthetic. Is there any reason to run synthetic in an older sled?

I would like to hear more about the arctic blue.

PF you have the same sled I do and you never look to go for a sled ride? frown

I have been using the Arctic Blue which is a sem-Synthetic for many years in 3 Polaris's and now an 2004 AC Panther 570 and have not had any issues with it. They also make a Full Synthetic but is about twice the cost. Oil always seems to be a bit of a mystery and I think we all do our best to inform ourselves about which maybe the best. Even after reading a lot of oil reviews you never seem to read about one or the other that is distroying motors and not to use them. So, it is a bit of throwing darts. confused

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a question related to rv oil, and I can't find a solid answer.

Can injection oil in a snowmobile go bad? I have an older model AC EXT that's had repeated mechanical issues over the last few years. I had it completely torn apart, and put it back together with fresh premium gasoline the other day. New plugs, fresh gas, charged battery, and she fired right up and ran like a charm.

Next time we started her up she started fouling. Shortly thereafter she appeared to foul a cylinder/plug, and the next time we attempted to get her running she wouldn't start and run at all! This morning we went to put her back in the garage to thaw her out and see if we can trouble shoot the problem, and she fired right up, on both cylinders, and is running like a charm.

The injection oil in the reservoir is prolly 2-3 years old now, as she's spent a lot of her time sitting rather then running the trails.

Should I remove the oil reservoir and get the old oil out of it, and replace it with fresh synthetic injection oil? Again, sorry to hijack the thread, but it seemed a timely place to ask this question.

Not sure on how long injection oil lasts but my guess is your problems like most snowmobiles is from sitting for long periods of time.

I did make it over to FF and picked up some Arctic blue oil for $15 a gallon and it is a synthetic blend. Im going to wait till I run down the oil I have in the tank now then give this stuff a try.

With a quick search I found Citgo is now renamed to Mystik brand. Same stuff as far as I can tell. Just make sure the Arctic Blue you grab is for injection systems. I believe they make a mix only type as well. At least they used to.

On a side note if you are running a sled with power valves go with full synthetic as you may have gumming issues with the blends or non synthetics.