• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wireless internet

I want to get internet for my parents cabin.

But I dont want to pay for service for an entire month when there are only people there 6-8 days a month on average. And really I mainly want it for emergency work "stuff", as I am on call a lot.

Question is,,,,, Has anyone heard of internet service that you pay prorated for useage?

I dont want to pay the local communcations company $50/month, I dont want to pay Dish $40/month.

Do any wireless internet services in outstate MN provide a "seasonal" or "cabin" rate?

I am really doubting it, but it sure cant hurt to ask.

I have tried tethering to my cell phone..... It does work..... But I use "work" lightly.

Now granted, I have only tried free tethering apps.... Are some of the pay apps better? I guess I hadnt thought of the fact that maybe the freebie is just plain junk to start with. Hmmm...

I use mine at the cabin similar to that. I switched from Verizon to ATT because there is a tower nearby and got the hot spot. It works very well for purposes like you mentioned and actually pretty well period.

Just make sure you're carrier works well in the area,

Att, cabin is on Kabekona Lake about 8 miles west of Walker on the edge of Hwy 64. There is an ATT tower put up a few years ago.

My verizon phone worked on the lake but not in cabin, fun standing on deck in Winter talking to a customer....

LOL sorry Leech, my question was directed at hockeybc.

Hockey have you tried Fattin for your hotspot? I use it and it's the best, most reliable I have found. It's kind of confusing when installing, but it isn't an actual app, it is a widget so you must go into your widgets and drop it onto one of your screens.

The hotspot I have never tried to be honest...

Fattin?? I will grab my phone and see if I can find that.

Man, I cant believe all the ways to get to the same end result nowdays.... I want internet access....

Thanks

Anyone else with experience, keep chiming in. I am all ears.

Well this is pretty cool. I am on here right now via my cell phone hotspot. I didnt have to load anything actually.

I have no clue why I didnt think of trying the hotspot on my cell phone, but thanks for bringing it up!

NOW.... the next question.... Can I somehow get Slingbox to work through this set up to get cable TV at the cabin!!!! HAAAAAA.

NOW.... the next question.... Can I somehow get Slingbox to work through this set up to get cable TV at the cabin!!!! HAAAAAA.

If you're able to connect to the Internet though the hotspot I can't think of why it wouldn't work at watch.slingbox.com.

Of course, streaming can use up quite a bit of data so be sure you know your data cap and keep tabls of how much you're using to avoid an expensive surprise.

Well this is pretty cool. I am on here right now via my cell phone hotspot. I didnt have to load anything actually.

I have no clue why I didnt think of trying the hotspot on my cell phone, but thanks for bringing it up!

Don't know about slingbox, but Roku/appletv/chromecast will work off wifi by way of your phone/hotspot. Make sure you have a good data plan.

I use verizon and fox-fi for interenet access at home all the time. I also have DSL but the verizon fox-fi is ten times faster than my dsl. I also use slingbox all the time when camping or fishing. I live close to a tower so always have max bars. I also have unlimited data so usage is not a problem. I am looking for a program to run wi-fi on a HTC thunderbolt if anyone knows of one.