• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Two Boats to chose from??? Which one?? 2K difference

toonfish

Considering pretty similar condition.

#1 1996 Lund Tyee 1750 Grand Sport w/ 115 Johnson Faststrike 2 stroke (re-built by dealer).Hull and interior are mint! 42 lb. trolling motor and old lowrance graphs.

#2 2002 Crestliner 1850 Sportfish w/ 125 Merc 2 stroke (checked by dealer). 80 lb. trolling motor and a newer lowrance graph.(scratches and dings)

Crestliner is $2,000 more than the Lund.

What would you do?

Are the yrs. alone worth the 2K? Crestliner Right? if I can live with the scratches and dings??

If you add the $2000 to the Lund to upgrade trolling motor and/or electronics I would get the Lund. A 42 lb. trolling motor on a rig that size is very under powered. An older graph you can live with but newer toys are always more fun. 2c

i would go for the crestliner six years newer, bigger trolling motor and a foot longer boat, the mercury 125 is a pretty reliable motor lots of them out there! unless money is the driving force, then the lund would be ok too!

First, you have to make it apples to apples.

They will be the same price after you replace the under powered trolling motor and depth finder on the Lund.

Then, there's no replacement for displacement.

Between those two and the given information, I'd chose the crestliner.

It's newer and bigger. A foot longer and I bet it's a few inches wider. You will never say, I wish I would have bought a smaller boat.

The dealer offers a 30 day warranty on the rebuild on the lund. I would be replacing graph on lund and trolling motor.

Did I hear someplace that this was a bad year for crestliner transoms? Of course I will check it out, but other than hopping on the motor and looking for flex....has anyone heard about this year?

No brainer for me, I'd choose the Crestliner and not even think twice. Much newer boat with more upgrades. You won't regret it. People think that Lund is everything, but there is nothing at all wrong with Crestliners.

the lund will bring you more money if you decide to sell in couple of yrs

i'm not a tin boat guy but i think the lund is going to give alittle better ride and maybe just a tick dryer

as far as hull strenght i think the crestliner might win there no rivets

all welded seams

Well...lots of opinions, that's what I was looking for. But seems like a real toss up between the two. I do like the flip over casting deck in the back of the liner. but the lund is in better overall shape...who knows?

You would have alot more room in the Crestliner. I would think the bigger boat would be the better value for years to come, but pick which ever you feel best sitting in.

Well...lots of opinions, that's what I was looking for. But seems like a real toss up between the two. I do like the flip over casting deck in the back of the liner. but the lund is in better overall shape...who knows?

The flip down casting deck is a nice plus but the condition would be a big factor for me.

As for the ride, sure, Lund tin boats ride nice but it probably won't ride as nice as a longer and wider "other" boat.

Honestly, the boats sound like they are quite a bit different. I suggest you figure out which style and ammenities you prefer then go looking for that.

Im a lund guy all the way and with this deal I would go with the Crestliner in a second. Newer boat, motor, graphs and trolling motor. It's going to ride nicer and take on rough water better than the lund because of its size. My buddy had a sportfish and we had that thing everywhere. Canada, LOTW, Leech and many smaller lakes. Its a great family boat and fishing boat in one. Best thing is all the new upgrades and you don't need to go out and do anything else.

I keep wishing my Lund 1750 was a foot longer and a foot wider like that Crestliner. Have had good luck with the Merc 125 that is on my Lund. Any ideas as to the hours on the Merc? Don't know if I could get past the scratches or dings, possibly if they are not too bad. It does sound like the Lund owner was very particular. Is the bow mount on the Crestliner a model that could be converted to Ipilot?

This is a tougher decision than meets the eye. Good luck! Let us know which one!

WG

Sportfish should go up higher on your list if you will be doing some skiing or cruising with it. That flip up bench in the back as well as the bow conversion beats the Tyee for those activities. I also have always liked the dual pedestal seats on the rear casting deck on the Crestliners. And like others have said, the Sportfish/Super Hawks are huge. So much interior room. Thinner gunnels to make reaching down into the water to land fish easy.

And as far as resale goes. I see Crestliner Sportfish/Super Hawks sell extremely quickly because there are fewer of them out there. I don't think you can go wrong with the Crestliner. And in this case it's going to get you more money when you sell because it and the motor are newer.

Man there are a million boats for sale right now.

We have a good feel for what you are looking for, but what's your budget?

Also remember if you buy from a private party, only the trailer is taxed. That could easily save you $500 bucks or more depending on what you are spending.

Well,

I went and looked a little closer at the Crestliner. It is a dump inside, the scratches were not too bad...but the interior was DIRTY, carpet very worn. Still looking as the Lund is still being worked on....The lund is also the Tyee Grand Sport, so it has the bow cushions and extras, so pretty comparable to the Sportfish other than the flip up deck in back and the sportfish is about 10 inches wider...that was nice. If I can find something better in the meantime I will go for it, but the condition of the crestliner was too much to overlook.

I have heard the 96' Fastsrike was a good all around motor, I haven't heard too much negative about it.....I think it was the Ficht that had all of the problems for Johnson/Evinrude??????

I am looking around 8K to 11K. Hard to find a tyee in that price range that is this nice, I have looked at about 5.

I am just looking for a good boat in that range, not too picky on what style other than counsel steering. I am not opposed to fishhawks, or similar single counsel styles, just want a good boat. Doesn't have to be full windshield, fish/ski. It was just nice to find one that fits that bill too.

I have looked at almost every dealer site and hsolist. Any other forums/online resources that you can suggest to broaden my search?

I wouldnt want a boat that has been not cared for either. Makes you wonder what other hidden things there could be. There are plenty of good boats out there, they are just tough to find right now because the good ones are gone with in a day of being listed. The dealers price is always going to be much higher than a private party by quite a bit of course.

Are you looking specifically for a fish/ski?

If you are only looking for a fishing boat I would recommend looking at Alumacrafts. I much prefer the layout of the Alumacrafts over Lunds. Of the big three, my current ranking is Alumacraft, Lund, then Crestliner. And I have owned one model each of the three over the years, although, only the Alumacraft is a late model. The others were older. I do appreciate what they all bring and in my mind they bring different things.

I am not stuck on a fish and ski. More fish! Like I said, I'm looking for the good boat first! This is what you typically get when spending 8-11K is a whole bunch of different types of boat...just looking for quality first.

In that price range there is a lot to weigh, I am not brand specific either...you will find underpowered smokercrafts and trackers 5-10 years newer than some lunds for the same price.

The tyee I found just popped as a nice looking boat, the fact that it is a fish/ski was just a bonus.

Getting tired of looking at ads...seems I have seen every boat 8 times!