• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Goose movement in your area

Is it just me or are the birds not moving around like they should be this time of year?
Most years I see several flocks moving around the Big Lake area. I have only seen a few birds this year. I hope they move pretty soon. It is only 15 days till early season.

------------------
Hunt Snow Geese, Save the tundra

I saw a small group fly over my place yesterday, first geese I've seen near home in a long time, but not many come by our place. One of the guys I work with has land on a private lake & he said they've started to pile in there though. He figures there were over a 100 in there a couple of nights ago.

The geese are really starting to fly out to the fields around the Richmond St Cloud area. I have seen groups of 100 plus birds feeding in fields. Opener is getting close and I'm starting to hear geese in my sleep, can't wait!!!!!

I guess I have to look for a new spot this year. I spent the whole weekend working the Nowthen Threshing Show and never saw a bird flying. I usually open on the show grounds.
Good luck everyone.
I can't wait.

------------------

about 2 weeks ago I'd see a few flocks landing in a hay field east of Winstead on my way to work every morning, but havent seen them for a while, but have seen lot's of other ponds and fields starting to get more and more geese. A lot of the hay is commng out around here right now, which may be one week too early for us hunters in my opinion, but it should be good shootin for opener.

Snowgoose,don't give up on that spot on the threshing grounds, there is a ton of geese just west of there using an oats field. Once the shooting starts they'll need a new spot to go. Whoever has that field will have a good shoot that morning. I don't worry to much if there not in my fields before season starts ''cause I know they be there soon. I live about 2 miles from Nowthen and I can assure ya there are alot of birds around.

Good Luck, Eric

Dont get your hopes up on any fields that are hot now.... they'll be BURNT by the early season if theres any amount of geese in there. 225 birds will only grow to be more and more and the more birds = the faster the field is gonna be picked out.
Ive gotten burnt too many times... i'd find about 4 more fields..

Geese around Detroit Lakes are pretty scarce. 4 years ago we pounded them west of town around Lake Park/Audubon area now the farmers are shooting them during the summer and the geese are hard to find and hard to hunt. This weekend I saw a small flock north of town. That was all I saw in a two hour scouting drive.

EricO
Thanks for the report.
I have been to busy to get out and scout this year. I have to make some time and get out there.
I am glad to hear that there are birds in the area. I have also heard there is a bunch of birds sitting at the Oliver Kelly Farm. To bad a guy can't hunt there.

------------------

You gotta learn how to work those farmers, theres a few tricks they can never turn down.. wink.gif And besides i just watched a 50-60 acre field get burnt in 8 days. Never hurts to keep lookin- the worst thing they can do is turn ya down grin.gif

[This message has been edited by Nitebiter (edited 08-25-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Nitebiter (edited 08-25-2004).]

I live in prior lake and the geese are everywhere around it is going to be a funearly season. all of our fields have geese in them at night right now. We have a wheat field in new prague that is full of geese every night. we will have to see what happens