• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Goodbye Tubby, Hello.....??/ Rich Pitino

toughguy

Buzz is a tough nosed, demands a lot type of coach. But he is also referred to as a players coach. You also can't find much about him published that doesn't mention his work in the community and with academics. The way that the U values that so much, I would say he is a slam dunk, especially considering his current situation with his AD. I am hopeful his is the guy at this point. I don't think there is anyway we hire someone until being able to talk to Buzz at this point, since Shaka is staying put.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That could be. Some clown was also tweeting 2 days ago that Shaka Smart was on a plane to MN to sign on the dotted line. What I see potentially coming out of this deal like any other is that guys like Buzz, Fred, etc., etc., will wind up getting their pockets padded with extensions, reworked contracts and so on. That just keeps a quality candidate who has nothing to lose like Flip in the mix. I just don't see Buzz Williams coming here even though rumors of a spat between him and the AD exist. If he makes it to the Final 4 or beyond the AD could get fired! I don't see Iowa native Fred Hoiberg coming here. Nothing to gain. Or Brad Stevens from Butler either. He'd be more likely on the short list to go to UCLA methinks. Better job and it's warm there. That thins the upper echelon of the potential herd pretty fast if they don't. Until Teague makes an announcement, it's all a big guessing game and a kinda fun one to speculate about at that. smile

I would like to take this opportunity to announce that if offered, I would accept the Gopher's coaching position. Even at a hometown discount of $1.5 million per year - as long as I get all the extra fixins (golf club membership, TV show, etc.)

Other than being from Iowa, what's wrong with Hoiberg? laugh

I would be surprised if Freddy wanted the job. He's from Iowa, made bank in the NBA and has a good thing going at his Alma Mater. I could see him coaching there until he decides to hangup the whistle.

I just finished watching 30 for 30 on the '83 NC State season, and man I wish college basketball was still like that!

Whatever it costs, bring in another Jimmy V!

Can't tell if you are serious but if you are Ha ha that's funny, you really do like mediocrity. You do realize that Valvano was fired as AD when he held that dual role as coach because literally only 20% of his players went on to graduate and he was investigated for allowing a recruit in who only scored 400 on his SAT. Check out his Wikipedia page. Wow you are so high and mighty about having a mediocre team but I guess it's OK for you to cheat the system if you do win?

Now I am nervous.... Buzz is getting pretty untouchable at this point. I would also love Marshall from Wichita State, but many folks say he won't leave either, so who knows. Shaka locked up. Hoiberg locked up. Stevens is not coming here. The "good" list is getting shorter.

Now I am nervous.... Buzz is getting pretty untouchable at this point. I would also love Marshall from Wichita State, but many folks say he won't leave either, so who knows. Shaka locked up. Hoiberg locked up. Stevens is not coming here. The "good" list is getting shorter.

Getting Marshall from Wichita State is a pipe dream. There is no way he's leaving a better school, and possibly a better basketball conference, with more job security, for the Gophers.

Like it or not, the Gophers job just doesn't have very much appeal anymore.

Well thank goodness we have a full compliment of Negative Nellies on here! Wichita State is a better school in a better conference? Oh my! One year does not a better school make (plus, they have a better coach, which is why we want him!).

Teague and Ellis have the reputation of being good at this. Let them make their pick before you get your panties in a wad.

Dont forget, we would have lost serious revenue keeping Tubby....making his buyout not as bad of a deal, providing of course, we get someone who injects some optimism into the program.

I will say this, I am sure glad we have an AD that wants to strive to be better than average as opposed to the people who strive for mediocrity at best.

It's nice to know that the rest of the USA thinks that we should enjoy our mediocrity. At this point, it will probably be a no name assistant. I don't think they will hire Flip.

Dtro- We could have hired Coach K and you wouldn't like it because of the money, so you can't say it is a waste now ONLY because of who we didn't get. It is a waste no matter what in your eyes.

I pray it isn't Licklighter(spelled completely wrong)..... I also don't think it will be a NO NAME assistant either. If Brewster can bring excitement to a program, any coach can. I wonder if Teague and Guerrero should have talked before hand and just traded. You can have Tubby, we'll take Howland?? I am still hoping for Buzz.

In regard to Marshall and Witchita- yes, they are still alive, but to say their conference is a better basketball conference than the Big Ten is laughable. No way they have the wins they have playing the Big Ten schedule.

I won't be disappointed if they chose Flip. He clearly knows basketball, loves the University, and is pretty tight with a bunch of the alumni. Hopefully he can help raise the cash for a practice facility and face-lift for Williams Arena if he gets the job.

I would love to see Flip as coach of the Gophers. He brings credibility, immediate respect from the players and majority of the fan base, he will bring in booster $$, and he is a smart basketball mind that the players will love to play for. He is a home town guy and will do nothing but work hard to better the program. Give him a shot!!!!