• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Permit to Purchase

Minn. Stat. 624.714

Subd. 8.Permit to carry voided.

(a) The permit to carry is void at the time that the holder becomes prohibited by law from possessing a firearm, in which event the holder must return the permit card to the issuing sheriff within five business days after the holder knows or should know that the holder is a prohibited person. If the sheriff has knowledge that a permit is void under this paragraph, the sheriff must give notice to the permit holder in writing in the same manner as a denial. Failure of the holder to return the permit within the five days is a gross misdemeanor unless the court finds that the circumstances or the physical or mental condition of the permit holder prevented the holder from complying with the return requirement.

I think the original question was where to turn in the application.. Not where to surrender your permit to.

Anyways if you live in a city with a police department you turn in the application there. If you are out of city limits you would turn in the application to your counties sheriff's department.

Minn. Stat. 624.714 Subd. 2.Where application made; authority to issue permit; criteria; scope.

(a) Applications by Minnesota residents for permits to carry shall be made to the county sheriff where the applicant resides. Nonresidents, as defined in section 171.01, subdivision 42, may apply to any sheriff.

Local law enforcement only deals with the permit to purchase or transferee permit.

Minn. Stat. 624.7131 TRANSFEREE PERMIT; PENALTY.

Subdivision 1.Information.

Any person may apply for a transferee permit by providing the following information in writing to the chief of police of an organized full time police department of the municipality in which the person resides or to the county sheriff if there is no such local chief of police:

Bit surprised that folks don't know the answers given all the hugga mugga about the issue at the Legislature.

Bit surprised that folks don't know the answers given all the hugga mugga about the issue at the Legislature.

I still haven't seen an answer to the question I posed, and I'm not sure how your comment really serves a purpose in this discussion. I'm pretty sure that the question of turning in your permit isn't something that is typically discussed...

I did not know that, thanks. I live in the city of big lake, and have always submitted my paper work to the sherrifs dept. in elk river.

you can print out the app form from the local sherrifs dept. on-line, and have it ready when you bring it in. which I have to do now, since mine has just expired.

I did not know that, thanks. I live in the city of big lake, and have always submitted my paper work to the sherrifs dept. in elk river.

you can print out the app form from the local sherrifs dept. on-line, and have it ready when you bring it in. which I have to do now, since mine has just expired.

Do not sign and date it as the sheriffs office needs to witness you signing and dating it.

I still haven't seen an answer to the question I posed,

If you have a carry permit issued by your local police it is expired. Sole responsibility for issuing permits was given to Sheriff's in 2003 when the 'shall issue' language was adopted.

Some clarification by the OP would be nice unless I missed it somewhere. Is he talking about the application for a permit to purchase or returning his permit?

2 different things here. Some are assuming he's talking about the application but I agree with LMIT. He only stated about returning the permit, not the application.

As I stated - Permit to carry is issued by the sheriff of the county where you reside.

Permit to purchase is issued by your local law enforcement agency and if none then by the sheriff in the county where you reside.

If it is necessary to turn in either you take it to the agency that issued id.

Citations to the laws involved are posted in my previous posts.

It isn't that complicated.

Isn't this the question You posed?

It was, and still no answers. Oh well.

To unwind this thread into anything meaningful at this point would be nearly impossible, so it's probably for the best just leave it at that.

I just got my permit this winter (2013). We have a local police department with a chief. I went to him and got it. If we didn't, I would have had to go to the county sheriff's office to get one.

Still not sure what the OP is asking though. Is he surrendering his permit or asking how to get one?

Holy cripes you guys are helpful. Sheesh.

Apply for your "Permit to Purchase" at your local police department.

If you don't have a local police department, than it is the county sheriff.

This answers my question, which I thought it was a simple one, guess I needed to clarify myself a bit. haha defenetly do not want to start another box fan thread.

It appears that the confusion started with my first post and I apologize.

I only saw the part about turning in the permit and assumed incorrectly that the person needed to turn in a carry permit because it had been voided for some violation. There is no provision in the law about turning in a purchase permit that I am aware of and so I made the wrong conclusion.

As I read it now it is obvious that the OP wanted to know where to turn in his application for a purchase permit, not turn in the actual permit itself.

I am sorry for the confusion.