• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many folks here just plain old walk....

tacklejunkie

instead of run, bike swim for aerobic activity? I still run on occasion but I have been walking more and Ihave noticed the weight stays off better since I've done 2-3 mile walks, 4-5 times a week with my weight lifting.

I may give up jogging altogether and just walk. Easier on the knees. Any other walkers, here?

Just had to put my walking buddy to sleep frown But normally I walk between 2 and 4 miles a day at least 6 days a week. I also make a point of parking about as far away as I can in the parking lot at work and leave the close spots at the mall and other stores for old people that needs them wink I try to make sure I take stairs instead of elevators and escalators, stairs seem to keep my knees in fairly decent shape and pain free.

I walk 3-5 miles a day with the dog, skip about a day a week for one reason or another. The one yr old hound will let me know when I've skipped, by being a pain in my arse all night. smile

Sorry for your loss upnorth, it's never easy.

Just had to put my walking buddy to sleep frown But normally I walk between 2 and 4 miles a day at least 6 days a week. I also make a point of parking about as far away as I can in the parking lot at work and leave the close spots at the mall and other stores for old people that needs them wink I try to make sure I take stairs instead of elevators and escalators, stairs seem to keep my knees in fairly decent shape and pain free.

Sorry for you loss,UNorth. Old age?

Yeah mostly old age, she was 14 and a few months and had developed lung cancer. She was having a hard time breathing so we rushed her to the vet, but the vet said she probably help her for a few days, no real recovery maybe a few days and didn't sound pleasant for her so we made the tough choice. But we had good time with her all those years. Gotta learn how to walk by myself for now.

This is her a couple years ago out ice fishing with me.

426538_355765937784435_2123167272_n.jpg

I walk outside or on a treadmill 5-6 times per week. Sometimes during non summer I use an elliptical for 45 min. That kicks my behind.

When I walk it is usually for 45 min to 90 min. I am not big on walking on ice and snow for fun, hence the treadmill. Already broke both arms, don't need any more of that.

Bike on occasion.

I walk outside or on a treadmill 5-6 times per week. Sometimes during non summer I use an elliptical for 45 min. That kicks my behind.

When I walk it is usually for 45 min to 90 min. I am not big on walking on ice and snow for fun, hence the treadmill. Already broke both arms, don't need any more of that.

Thats about where I'm at... the last 12 or so weeks I've rotated between walking on the treadmill at 4.3 MPH with a 6 degree incline for 40 minutes, walking around Lake Nokomis on nicer days which is about 3 miles and my go to lately has been the Elliptical machine for 30 or so minutes.

All Great workouts!

I like to walk outdoors myself. Cold can be dressed for and if it is that slippery something like yak traks work well. I think/believe part of the benefit is getting outdoors and getting fresh air.

For you guys who use an elliptical is that something that takes a bit to get used to? I have only tried them briefly and they just feel uncomfortable to me.

I personally hate elipticals, they just don't seem to fit me. I've tried a few times on various machines but I just feel like I'm shuffling my feet with almost no knee lift. I'm also 6'4" and have a fairly long stride even for my height so there are some elipticals that don't even come close to matching a somewhat normal stride for me.

For you guys who use an elliptical is that something that takes a bit to get used to? I have only tried them briefly and they just feel uncomfortable to me.

YES, almost 3 years of being chided by friends and staff members. No less then a dozen times I tried the machine for a minute or 2 here and there to no avail. It felt like my knees were going to dislocate and I could never get into it comfortably. Well with my Plantar issue flaring up after getting a little to rambunctious with my running I made the switch and could not be happier.

My leg strength, particularly in the quad area is insane. My knees feel almost brand new and the cardio aspect is excellent.

Originally the key for me was warming up good with a light walk or run and then jumping on the machine. You can adjust the resistance and incline to maximize any level of resistance needed even for an elite track guy like NoFish .. grin

So yeah it's an acquired taste like a heavy bodied Hoppie "bitter" beer I guess. smile

You can adjust the resistance and incline to maximize any level of resistance needed even for an elite track guy like NoFish .. grin

Hahaha...I'm not sure the word "elite" has ever been used to describe my track days. grin Certainly not if you've seen how slow I've gotten over the last couple of years. As soon as I hit 30 it was like someone tied a cinder block to both of my ankles.

I don't think it was much. Been a few years now. Maybe different brands feel different? But I don't think there was much of a learning curve.

Believe it or not, I mall walk during the week because I'm close to MOA. I can do 2-3 laps and feel pretty good. Before I met my wife, she had gotten up there in weight. She started walking every day at lunch around a local lake and walked all of her pounds off. That helped me realize that consistent and sustained exercise is the key, not hauling off and running five miles when my body wasn't used to it. Besides, my knees and ankles only have enough for sports - not recreational running as well

Believe it or not, I mall walk during the week because I'm close to MOA. I can do 2-3 laps and feel pretty good. Before I met my wife, she had gotten up there in weight. She started walking every day at lunch around a local lake and walked all of her pounds off. That helped me realize that consistent and sustained exercise is the key, not hauling off and running five miles when my body wasn't used to it. Besides, my knees and ankles only have enough for sports - not recreational running as well

That's interesting because I read an article recently were the writer claimed that for burning fat, running is better and walking is almost useless. My personal experience and it sounds like yours is too that that's pure bunk.

It is bunk. Walking at a good pace for a sustained time burns fat and helps you lose weight. Obviously if you burn energy jogging or running, it will have more of an impact, but the key is to just be physical. If you're sweating good at a fast walk, then that's a cardio workout in my and my doctor's books. His personal thought is if you can do 20 minutes of cardio (a good sweat) 5 times a week, then you're making an impact weight and healthwise. It's that consistency a lot of people can't seem to work into their schedules.

We just bought an elliptical this Winter as getting to the gym was not always easy. We cancelled our Y membership and instead bought a top quality machine that gets used by my wife and I almost nightly until recently when we're outside. Planted it off to the side of the TV in the family room so there's incentive to get off our butts and use it. I highly recommend them. Seems to be less impact than running and it feels like you get a better overall workout. Not sure it will get used much in the Summer though. Good luck.

This is interesting... I was just listening to MPR and they were discussing the 'treadmill desk' and how to add more activity. There is a Dr Levine at Mayo who studies the effects of inactivity. It's bad for you.

You guys might find the program (available for streaming and replay) interesting.

As for the guy who says only running works... What is his research, and his qualifications to make such a statement? How does he know?