• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Atv with tracks and snowmobile trails

schmoe147

Some will contest that but I agree, the answer is no. Best bet would be to ask the CO as well as the local Sheriff's Dept where you want to ride to see if they have an issue with it. Some departments will enforce to the letter of the law. Others will let it slide.

The issue it would seem is not the use of the tracks but the fact that ATV licenses are not assessed for upkeep of the trails.

Personally, I would like to see the trails opened up to ATV's in the winter along with snowmobiles. The license could be assessed in the same way and it would generate additional revenue. ATV's don't have any more impact than the sleds on the snow and in fact I would suggest they are less intrusive to the trails. I can understand closing them during the summer to prevent ruts but winter would seem reasonable.

ATV's don't have any more impact than the sleds on the snow and in fact I would suggest they are less intrusive to the trails. I can understand closing them during the summer to prevent ruts but winter would seem reasonable.

Maybe not to the terrain under the trails, but to the "snow" trails the atv tire ruts would make sledding miserable, I think. I have both, and use both to get through some woods to lake, and I gotta say, the ruts the atv tires make compared to the sleds tracks in the snow, especially after it gets "cold" just can't be compared.

i agree and what would happen in years with no snow or little snow?

Many snowmobile trails cross private property and come spring time you cant even tell where the trail was that the sleds road on all winter.

If you opened these same trails to atv traffic the aftermath come spring would be horrible.

I am pro ATV and always looking for more opportunities to ride but even I will tell you that snow mobile trails are not a good mix for ATV's.

Maybe not to the terrain under the trails, but to the "snow" trails the atv tire ruts would make sledding miserable, I think. I have both, and use both to get through some woods to lake, and I gotta say, the ruts the atv tires make compared to the sleds tracks in the snow, especially after it gets "cold" just can't be compared.

I would agree except I think you're talking about following ATV's on ungroomed areas. On a groomed trail I don't see how I can agree. I was just out this past weekend on a trail near Cloquet that is open to any vehicles under 1000 pounds and this includes snowmobiles, ATV's, Skis, hiking, etc. When we ride there is little evidence of our having been on the trail.

If you opened these same trails to atv traffic the aftermath come spring would be horrible.

Remember I'm talking about frozen conditions and not after spring thaw. Even snowmobiles will leave a heck of an imprint in mud.

I would not want to see atvs on the snowmobile trails unless they were on tracks. There is absolutely no way a tracked atv/utv will tear up the trail, its almost impossible to spin the tracks on hardpack. I would gladly buy a winter trail sticker to allow me on the trail with the tracked up ranger. Missed revenue opportunity for sure. In many other states and most of Canada it is fine. Our great state of MN is just stuck in the past.

Yes thats true, but back when that was designated there wasn't such a thing as tracked up atv/utv. It time to pull our heads out of the sand and open them up for a new group of riders, only increasing trail funding???

Yes thats true, but back when that was designated there wasn't such a thing as tracked up atv/utv. It time to pull our heads out of the sand and open them up for a new group of riders, only increasing trail funding???
Considering I only have an ATV now (without tracks), but the fact I grew up on snowmobiles, literally from the age of 2 I was riding sleds.

I think ATVs with tracks on snowmobile trails is a bad idea. The width is the issue I am concerned about. Many trails you cannot hardly meet two sleds in a corner let alone two atvs with tracks which are considerably wider.

I suppose the argument could be made that with the additional dollars brought in, possibly???, that more could be put in to widening trails, but I really dont see that happening since they are not exactly adding tons of ATV trails with the money now, so where is this "extra" money going to come from?

On a freshly groomed trail that isnt soft because its warm, a wheeled ATV would actually do less damage that a snowmobile provided they are driving with some civility.

Granted, people lose all common sense when they get on machines so throw that out the window.

If ATVs were allowed on all snowmobile trails, all it would take is for one person on an ATV to go bonzi all over someone's field, regardless of how the ATV is equipped, and snowmobile trails would start disappearing in fast order.

Property owners aren't going to differentiate between an ATV with wheels or tracks/skis. To them it's still an ATV.

2c

But Ive also seen a few tracked SUVs on the trail to

On LOW? If I remember correctly there are certain regulations that pertain specifically to the snowmobile trails on LOW and tracked SUVs aren't allowed.

I think NAMASafetyDirector was the one who posted about that.

It time to pull our heads out of the sand and open them up for a new group of riders, only increasing trail funding???

+1

Plus increases in tourism, small business/small town support. .. etc with no harm to the trails by allowing fully tracked ATV's on groomed trails (with a state sticker)

I personally will not buy a single pull tab, bingo ticket, or meat raffle chance from any place that supports snowmobile clubs until they make that right.

If ATVs were allowed on all snowmobile trails, all it would take is for one person on an ATV to go bonzi all over someone's field, regardless of how the ATV is equipped, and snowmobile trails would start disappearing in fast order.

Property owners aren't going to differentiate between an ATV with wheels or tracks/skis. To them it's still an ATV.

2c

Snowmobilers are already doing this so I see this as a moot point.

Some people have no consideration of other's property and dont care. It doesnt matter if its an ATV or a snowmobile, but this issue exists today with just snowmobile usage.

Im not worried about atvs tearing up the trails, I just know the width is too dang wide for most trails. That is what I would be concerned with.

I really dont see any BOOM in tourism by allowing tracked ATVs on trails because less than 1% of ATV owners have them.

The black staked trail that goes from 4-mile bay to Garden is a state Grant in Aid snowmobile trail. Sportsman's Lodge gets paid to groom this trail by the local club. Other resorts that use it to get to Knight/Bridges/Garden also help groom it just because they are using it and a smooth trail means fewer breakdowns with equipment. An ATV with tracks will not rut it up but a Blazer or Suburban with tracks does rut the trail up more than a bombardir does. I have seen this while following both with a snowmobile.