• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

striker ice suit?

slick2526

Thanks for all the information. I will have to take some measurements. No one close to me is a dealer and I will have to order online.

After reading the posts will the striker climate be to warm of a suit for above zero climate? Will I sweat to death with this thing above zero climate? I want a suit that will wont be to hot for 30 degree weather but will also be nice and toasty for weather well under -0 degrees. I would like to be able to just wear jeans and t-shirt under the suit.

I know it says you can take out the liners on the striker so is the suit still insulated without the liners? with the liner out will it still be to warm for above zero weather? Should I go with the striker ice lite suit instead and use a good base layer when needed?

I should just email striker with my questions but I like to hear from people who actually use them.

Thanks

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldnt figure out how to edit my last post. I should mention I dont always plan on standing on the bare ice either. I will be fishing out of a portable shack sometimes also if that makes a difference on what type of suit I want.

The beauty of the climate suit is that you can take the inside liner out if its too warm. Its just like any Columbia jacket.

The liner is a very nice piece too and I wear it all by itself as a casual jacket.

IMO the climate will be fine for you. I like to fish outside when the temps arent brutal and I spent 2 days on the ice with highs around 10 and was never cold. I have all my vents open.

When sitting in the house I have my big buddy set to low, but I hate wearing coats in the house so I usually take it off after a while.

It boils down to what you wear underneath.

Kneeling in slush I never got wet and really like the magnetic enclosures for the jacket, etc. Better than having to button everything all the time.

I used to wear a Columbia Hunting parka fishing and this striker climate suit is less bulky which I like. Warmth wise I would say its similar, but the striker as far better at wind resistance.

you wont need other layers, i wear a light poly base layer and a tshirt and maybe a fleese vest and poly pants and a pair of track pants and even below zero with out the liners in i have yet to get cold, heck most of the time i get to hot. make sure you try it on with the liners in and out to make sure it will work for you, i think i tried my suit on 10 times before i decided what i liked best.

i wish somewhere closer to me had these in stock. I might have to make a drive to find some to try on. Do any stores in the MN area, closer to detroit lakes the better, carry these suits all year long or is this just kind a of a winter deal when they have them in stock?

Me and my last year's model Striker Ice hardwater suit has been through thick and thin this year. Fishing outside in the worse possible conditions, say -40+ windchills strong wind gust. Hovering over the hole with 4lb# line and a 5/16oz Slender Spoon. My fishing line coated with a special conditioner to keep it from icing up. And im still able to put fish on the ice in this conditions.

I find wearing a mid base layer in the bibs keep me just warm enough however wearing a heavy base layer under the parka still feels drafty, worse when in -0+ windchills. I think this has to do with the zippers and breathability as a trade off. Wearing another layer or good fleece pullover will help but may feel too bulky.

Aside the bibs knee padding can be uncomfortable when kneeling on the ice, worse rough ice. Its not bad but I wouldnt kneel down on uneven choppy bits of ice like I can with my Strikemaster bibs.

All in all I am satisfied with my suit and will probably replaced it with the climate or new hardwater suit if a sale happens or end season clearance.

I was out on Sunday in 32 above fishing outside kneeling over the hole and was just fine. Remember the jacket and bibs have zipper vents, if you get too warm regulate your temp with the vents. This is why you don't get clammy like other flotation suits, it gives the moisture a place to escape.

I want to buy a striker ice climate suit before this next winter. They seem to be pretty nice. whats your thoughts? Also I have read a few people saying the sizing chart seems to be a little off. I am 6'1" with a 32" inseam and a 34" waist. Should I go with a medium or a large set?

I am 5'8" 34 waist 30 inseam and I wear the large climate suit. With the adjustable inseam you should be just fine with a large. I will say I was swimming in an XL. I fished LOTW when the wind was blowing 40 mph and highs were -10 degrees and I never was cold once. I stayed plenty warm. I fished out of the house 80% of the time. The 20% I spend inside was to un freeze my rods and reels. I also really like the removable liners. I wear the jacket shell, liner and both put together every day. It is a sweet suit.. and Yes it does float.. Nothing but good things from my end about this product. Striker has put out a really good product.

We've got Striker Ice Suits in stock and are bringing in more and more of them as needed. We get a lot of questions about sizing, and about one suit compared to another suit, and we do our best to answer all your questions. And we ship for free so even if you're not close to a dealer we can help you out.

I'm wearing both a Climate Suit and a HardWater Jacket this winter. Both are really nice. I'll be wearing the Climate Suit in my boat in cold temperatures too.

If you want, you can check them out at Striker Ice Suits at Pro Fishing Supply

Wow. This isnt right! NO ONE HAS SAID ANYTHING BAD YET! shocked
Ok, i'll bite. They do cost a bit more then other floating suits, have some draft issues as stated in some reviews and they are buoyant but don't truly float for ever. But, I guess after their 2 hr float rating time it really wouldn't matter because you would die of hypothermia anyway. To me they do buy you time for someone to get to you with some help.

I will be getting one! wink

Been very pleased with mine. Cant say enough good things.

I will mention a couple of things that could be better. I like the hand towels but tend to unsnap all the time. As with the pockets last year, this should be Velcro. Also my padded knees are positioned too low (maybe my bibs are too big). Two inches higher would be perfect.

I'll keep this as P.C. as I can.

I think the Striker suit is designed to be great. There are a lot of well thought out features for ice fishermen. I personally know 3 people who are happy with their suit.

MY jacket is junk, to put it mildly. I own a dozen or so other jackets for hunting, fishing, and snowmobiling, and all of them are warmer than my Striker jacket. The pit zips in mine leak tons of cold air, to the point that the rest of the jacket does absolutely no good. I've fished on a bucket down to -35 in Canada in either Arctic Armor or Cabela's Motorsports parka & bibs, and I've never been cold, nor has wind affected me. I have several times had to quit fishing at 0 degrees or warmer because my Striker jacket doesn't keep me warm and isolated from the wind.

I emailed them after the first time I wore the jacket (last February when it was 40 degrees), and wasn't exactly thrilled with the response I received. Then in December when I sent my bibs in for a crotch repair, I also sent the jacket, and a simple note saying "please check this out....something isn't right". The bibs got sent back to me within a week or so, the jacket was forgotten and was sent in a separate package, and I never did get a response from my email to Shawn about if they found something wrong with my jacket. Clearly the problem wasn't fixed, as my jacket is still unusable.

Again, it isn't my intent to bash Striker. I just simply have a very expensive piece of outerwear that can't be used, and I'm not very happy about it.

I think when it comes to product or service or lodging reviews, we all have different views and expectations.

Its kind of like looking at reviews of hotels or restaurants. You read through some and people say it’s the best ever, then another group says it’s the worst ever. How is that possible? I get a kick out of reading about hotels. One person will say best vacation ever, and then the next person will say I wouldn’t let my dog stay there, it’s a complete dump. Then there are the times you actually experience staying there yourself and can’t help but think to yourself, is this the same place everyone said was so great or so horrible?

I’ve shared plenty of praises for Striker of the past couple of years, but also expressed the things I didn’t like too. Unfortunately in the ice fishing world the season is short so things don’t happen very fast. Not to mention that most things these days in one way or another go through China and that can have its own consequences.

I can say though that I haven’t experienced the excess draft in the zipper areas. But then again, one man’s draft is another man’s vent. smile

At the end of the day, I still think it’s a great choice for a floating suit. I really like my Arctic Armor, but I feel it falls short of the Striker, both in quality, breathability, and warmth.

the original SnoSuit is probably the best thing out there right now, but 1 you will pay for that quality and 2 it doesn’t have the floatation.

Agreed Dtro. I have talked to a few folks who had last year's striker suits and then bought a climate suit this year. They couldnt even believe they were made by the same company in the difference.

No complaints from me on my suit. I dress light under my clothes and never have felt a draft or anything and all my vent zippers are WIDE open the whole time.

I wonder why if they have had a lot of complaints about the arm zippers they just don't take them out and lower the price a few bucks? I have had summer motorcycle jackets with zipper openings to let in some air, but never one I ice fished in at -20 below, why have them? confused