• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Supplements

fishersofmen

Pierbridge, I don't limit myself to chicken breasts for my protein sources alone. I'll have fish, lean cuts of beef, turkey and yogurt as well as protein shakes but never buy just whey, I'll get a shake that has 3 or 4 different types protein for not only quick release but extended release as well. It's important to have a varied diet as your body, just like muscles will adapt to the routine whether it is diet or workout and you will plateau.It's not cheap eating clean but it's well worth it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TR hit the nail on the head in that last one. There are so many ways to get good lean protein without having to live on chicken breast. FIsh, tuna, greek yogurt, turkey, wild game like venison are all great options for getting the most protein per calorie.

I wold also agree that you should be concerned about buying "huge tubs" of protein from GNC, especially if they can offer such good deals. That should be a red flag. GNC is the Walmart of "nutrition" if you can even call it that.

The best products are rarely sold off the shelf. Its easier to control quality and distribution that way.

I personally use Herbalife 24 products. The 24 line has only been out for a couple years, but Herbalife has been making meal replacement shakes and protein products for 30+ years. Triathlete magazine rated the Rebuild Strength shake as the best recovery shake on the market. 33gr of whey and casein protien for that fast and slow release that TR mentioned and it has the BCAA's, L-glutamine and the other "supplements" all in the same container. I like it that I don't have to have 4 containers on the shelf anymore.

When I switched to the 24 products, I lost an additional 6 lbs and 2% body fat in the first month without changing my workouts at all. I'm not a body builder or anything like that, I just enjoy being fit healthy.

Herbalife is only sold through distributors, but more and more Nutrition clubs are popping up that retail the products.

AS far as over-priced, thats a matter of opinion. Just because something is cheaper doesn't mean its a better value. You have to compare apples to apples. There's lots of stuff out there and some is good and some is not that good. I would say that nutrition supplements are similar to outdoors products, you get what you pay for.

Only 13 carbs per serving Tonka so def not a high carb shake which is why my wife drinks them too. She has one every morning for breakfast and I now order it for a couple other women in her office as well. The stuff is really good and very high quality, Prosource does things right. Its not the cheapest protein but its worth it IMO. I go 50/50 milk and water in a shaker cup for around 15 seconds and it mixes flawlessly.

I take it post-workout by itself and plenty of carbs pre-workout. Even non workout days though I will have 1 or 2 shakes a day and maybe a good casein at night. Get yourself a couple jugs and make sure one of them is chocolate-mint you will thank me later...... smile Just ordered 3 yesterday myself.

For just a basic whey that is maybe a bit cheaper Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard as far as I know is still the best selling Protein in America and is very good too. I will still buy that every few months.

I have a question,

I have a rather active 15 yo son, he is in football, and wrestling. In wrestling, they have him in a rather intense weight lifting routine, on top of practices, and the actual wrestling. He is having a hard time holding his weight. He eats like crazy, and is still dropping weight. Is there something he can take that is healthy for his age, that will help him keep his weight, and I am sure he wouldnt mind if it helped bulk him up some as well.

Thats because supplements are "food" and not drugs. Many people like to think differently, but only because they think that supplements are a shortcut when they really are used in place of normal eating.

None of the products mentioned will do anything special to the body that couldn't be replaced using a well-planned diet. Secondly, the misuse of any of these supplements will have little if any side-effects.

Probably the most dangerous products that fall under the term "supplements" are the "pre-workout" products. By using dosages of caffeine, creatine and nitrous oxide of various dosages and sources, some people dislike the feeling they get on these products.

Good points powerstroke. Good supplements can aid a person in addition to their diet but should not be taken in an attempt to replace one. Many people do not take supplements because they are rock stars with their diet or don't feel like the cost/benefit from supplements are worth it. I take protein shakes in addition to meals because it can be difficult to get the ammount of protein I feel like I need with my diet alone. Also it is very cost effective for me to get quality protein at a very reasonal price. As far as the pre-workout drinks and some of the other supplements, when these products have ingredient labels 3 paragraphs long and you don't know what they are ....avoid.

As for the FDA they have enough on their hands trying to ensure the purity of food these days. Horse meat anyone?!

You hit the nail on the head. Supplements are exactly that, supplemental. They are not meant to replace food unless they are designed as such and then the FDA does have rules about what can be called a "Meal-replacement". This is why very few products have that exact wording.

And the claims have to be pretty explicit and outrageous to get in trouble with the FDA.

The actual composition is also typically not assured.

Supplements are sort of a mine field, although the "natural male enhancement" guy ended up in the slammer, I believe.

Egg-based protein powder (usually 35g per scoop compared to the 20g with whey), NO2 pre-workout, and L-Glutamine or some equivalent. The above posters are spot on, supplement to hit the levels you want to, do not replace a meal. Your main source of protein should come from an animal source, not the jug. Also when you take in a lot of protein your body needs to metabolize it for you to get a benefit. Metabolizing protein requires liquid/fluid/water and most do not use the amount of protein their intaking because of dehydration. So it is VERY important that you drink plenty of water otherwise the $80 you spent on that expensive jug is going right into the toilet.

There are a few protein powders that have milk, egg and beef protein in their profile as well as bcaa's and a carb source for transportation so there is product out there to substitute for a meal replacement. Most people don't have the need to digest that much protein but, as in my case as I'm pre contest, I need that shake a few times a day because it's almost impossible for me to consume 8 meals of 30 grams of protein strictly from animals or fish.I will agree the average person who is training should get their protein from foods but shakes have a real place in anyones diet should they choose the right product.

Who says a meal can only max out at 30g? Most of my meals are more than that, except breakfast, which I then take a supplement. I know theres cases where your body can not process or metabolize that much protein, that is typically the case if you do not have the fluid present to assist the process.

I didn't say the body can't process more than 30 grams. I was dividing my total grams of protein per day per 8 meals which yields that result. In addition, the protein powder I take has slow, medium and fast assimilation which would enable me, should I need it, to have more protein per meal should I need it. I'm also taking in a gallon and a half to 2 gallons of water a day which is plenty of fluids.

You know what you're doing then. So many people think its as simple as taking a shake and magic-your body will recover. Then they blame the supplement and think they need to spend more and get the myoplex for $80+ a tub. Sups are great if you know how to take them. Anybody ever try the antler spray and have any comments? Haven't tried it yet but I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought about it.

If you are going to chemically enhance, and aren't being tested, why bother with antler spray etc? That is like taking red yeast rice to avoid statins.

Just take the real thing. Find a doctor that will say you have low-T and give you a prescription. Or ask around.... I hear "the clear" is good.

Del, as far as I've heard antler spray isn't like roids or the clear. I might be wrong but if your right and I develop backne and breasts and my head swells up like Barry Bonds like the clear will do then I'm not interested. I'm a pretty nice guy and I don't want to be putting guys in choke holds for looking at me, or do I?

From a quick search, the deer antler spray has naturally produced IGF-1 (except for one product that was "accidentally contaminated" with methyltesterone.

Not clear that it works unless "accidentally contaminated".

Anyway, it seems that most of the actual performance enhancing stuff is well known and widely available so unless one is looking for some sort of loophole in rules, why not take the straight stuff?

Not trying to encourage moobs here. Seems to me that ingesting hazardous chemicals to enhance self esteem by winning some sort of contest is silly. In the case of pros where large amounts of money is at stake, it is more understandable why they would take the risk.

On the other hand, placebo effect can be useful and has no side effects.