• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MVP Ice Rod

DTro

I know a lot of guys like to have a special rod or 4 smile for every species of fish you target which is cool, but is there a rod that you would consider using for everything you fish for?

I’ve tried quite a few different style and action rods over the past several years and I keep coming back to the Jason Mitchell/Clam Perch rod. I’ve caught everything from Pike, to Catfish, to Tulibees, small sunnies, and even Lake Trout on this rod and I honestly trust it no matter what I’m targeting. I truly feel comfortable fishing for just about every species of fish in MN with this rod spooled up with 4lb test. Sure it’s undersized for big lakers, eyes, and pike, but I think if I could only take one setup on the ice not knowing what I was targeting, this Jason Mitchell Perch rod would be in my bag.

Anyone else have an all around favorite?

Another fan of the Jason Mitchell Perch rod here. Keep in mind I don't own any fancy stuff like custom built rods. I have multiple Jason Mitchell elite rods (2 perch and a walleye) along with a couple st. croix rods, a JM Meatstick, and most recently a 13 fishing wicked rod. If I could only bring one as an all around rod it'd be the Jason Mitchell Perch. I'm quite sure there are better rods out there, but it's the best in my rod bag and has never let me down.

, I just cant seem to retire it. It looks like garbage since it was my first but man can I tell every movement with that thing.

Have a couple old HT spring bobber rods that I feel the same way about. Know exactly how they react and are money, and first choice. Next up are a meatstick, as I still prefer a light presentation for anything around 15 to 25ft. For a deeper/heavier set up agree with DTRO with the Mitchell perch. Along the same line, the new 13's that come stock with the reels are pretty sweet as well.

I personally use the "cobra ice" rods that you see at the ice fishing expo every year. I've had 2 of them for the last 10+ years. I love them. One is setup pretty meaty, the other setup lighter with a spring bobber. Haven't had issues and love just being able to set them on the ice without a rod holder.

I have the Perch, but actually prefer the panfish over it. I will say, that most of the fish I catch are smaller in size, so that my be my reason for liking the panfish version more, but they are nice little rods for the price that is for sure!!

I have Thorne Panfish, Perch, and Walleye Sweethearts. I like them all, and have landed a 42" musky on the Panfish Sweetheart. I really love the panfish sweetheart but if I had to pick one rod to fish for any species I think the Perch Sweetheart covers a pretty broad range.

Tucker

I just got a tripwire and now that I'm used to jigging it I like it, big fish was about a 28" pike, and could see the bite of about a 2" perch.

With that being said I bought a broken rod at cabellas for a dollar, added a handle for another buck and a cheap reel for about $5. This rod keeps catching my biggest fish. 33" sturgeon, 22" walleye, 13.5" crappie. No idea how the Reel still works on it since its a pile but the combo seems to be lucky.