• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Strikemaster Auger Issue

vikingmeatwad

Question

I recently got my new Strikemaster Solo magnum out and I was surprised to have issues with it idling from the start.

I have had it out since a few times and having the same issues.

I followed manual to mix fresh gas. I start auger choked to warm for 1-2 min and as i turn the choke off the auger idles up and takes off on it's own. The only way for me to slow it down is to turn the choke on again and then it idles down and quits.

I would rather not mess around with all the settings with a brand new auger and I know there are always issues returning items that have been gassed up.

I have tried to call Strikemaster and must not have had thr correct numbers but aren't they located in Minnetonka now?

11 answers to this question

I got a new one this year too, Lazer Pro. First time started ok, but not great (i.e. 10-12 pulls, messing with choke) but I did not prime it enough.

Second time started great, let it idle, drilled some holes, but it would occassionally die between holes. I was not that impressed with idle. But I must say, I was sometimes trying to hit throttle maybe too early, or while starting, etc. Was just frustrated that it didn't simply start like my old SM (two pulls cold, one pull warm -no messing with anything).

Third time, took three pulls, then idled good for couple minutes, then cut holes, died. Took a few pulls, but then idled great and cut great.

Since then, when priming it properly, starts on about 3rd pull (two choked pulls, it sputters, I take choke off, and it starts and idles on third pull). It is now idling great through MANY holes, idling great, running like bat out of heck, all the good stuff. I am into my third tank, and found that it likes a 60:1 better than 50:1, and I will try more like 70:1 next (Amsoil).

Good luck.

I bought a new laser mag solo from drock today. My old mag 2000 shot a rod through the block. I was talking to him about amsoil. He said it is a good product but he does not suggest running as lean as they say. He said if I run it leaner it will void the warranty and that Amsoil even though they say they will cover the motor if the oil causes the failure it is hard to prove if the motor was running lean because of carb issues or because of the oil. I have been running my strikemaster for 5 years with amsoil but to be safe I am now mixing it 40 to 1 instead of 80 to 1

Thanks for the help everyone. I will empty this first tank and then look at leaning the oil a bit. I am mixing exactly 40:1 as the manual says with their oil.

I believe it is terrible that I read so many examples of the auger not idling correctly when it's brand new!

It is not fun to finish drilling and have your auger take off full speed while you are trying to remove it from the hole. And plus you have to restart it every time you drill another hole.

Does Rapala have people in their Minnetonka Headquarters to look at these like they used to in Big Lake?

I think if a motor is idling and then takes off and runs full bore there is something wrong with the lenghtage, or a spring that isn;t attached. Check out pictures you can pull up on the web.

I broke mine in by running a full tank of gas through it before I ever cut one hole. Not dure what the owners manuel says to do but that is what I did.

I started it up, layed it on the snowbank and every 5-10 minutes I would crack thre throttle a few times.

After that, Amsoil Sabre at 60-1 and I have had no issues for the past 4 years.

I hit the primer twice, put the chocke on, pull the rope. Then I turn the choke off and either 1 or 2 more pullls and it's running.

I do let it warm up for a minute or so before I try to cut my 1st hole. That way, it does not have any issues cutting.

Love the auger.

Not quite sure why the auger would go from idle to running faster on it's own, that does not sound correct. I think I would call Strikemaster on this one.

Join the club. Two years ago my dad and I each got the Lazer Pro 10" because we like to do a lot of trout fishing in Canada. Last year on our first trip my dad's didn't work, at all. He used it before we went up there and it seemed fine. So, he was without an auger for the entire trip. He took it to Strikemaster and they said they had it fixed, and it did seem to work ok. On our second trip it was the same thing. Wouldn't run at all for the entire trip. Took it back when we got home and they finally did get it working. Earlier this winter I took mine out to test it before our trip and it ran pretty rough. I threw a new plug in it and it seemed better. Got it to Canada and the second morning it decided it didn't want to start anymore, so I went the remainder of the trip with no auger. We are both fed up. Between the two of us we have $1,000.00 in augers and we are looking at needing to bring a spare because EVERY SINGLE trip since we got them, one has refused to work!! We follow the owners manual to a tee, too. I called the service center and he said the carbs are starting to go bad on them after two years. I ordered 3 carb kits from them. One to replace mine and spares for both of us to bring with on trips. Pretty sad when my 25 year old Mag III still runs perfect every single time I need to use it.