• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NEW 870 Barrel??

I have an old 870 wingmaster, 30'' barrel full choke, so after years of shooting steel with this gun I did not realize the dangers of this nor the inaccuracy of steel once I patterned it. So I am getting a new barrel for the old gun looking on the Remmington web site barrels are listed as light contour or standard contour, does anyone know what this means?

Thanks

Kettle

why get a new barrel just take it to a gun shop and have the barrel stretched to modifyed I had a older gun which I had the same problem costed me $60 to have it done. I also had a choice of installing chokes which the cost would of been $85 plus the cost of the choke. If you go with a new barrel it will not match with your older gun...

It's the diameter and weight . The light contour is slimmer and fast handling the other is a heavier weight forward about 1/4 pound slower handling great for pass shooting geese etc The light contour will feel more like your orignal barrell.

I would talk to a gun smith and have a screw in choke installed and most likely it would be cheaper than a new barrel with the bennifts of changing chokes like the new barrels. Thats what I had Keelers Gunsmithing do for me.

getting a barrel with a screw in choke system is the way to go. I would not hesitate to buy a barrel. In terms of barrels, an 870 barrel is the easiest to find. I would not look for a new barrel, there are many, many used 870 barrels for sale on websites and in stores. Gordies route is another good option, but I personally don't like modifying old guns if I can help it.

The only thing I worry about getting the barrel I have now modified to get the remchoke system is that it is so darn thin of Diameter at the end of the barrel right now cannot imagine what it would be like to have it threaded. I just really worry about the safety. The other thought is that I notice on some of the newer wingmasters (my father has one) that when you look down the barrel there is a small bump where the barrel meets the reviver, is this standard now?

Kettle

A good gunsmith would probably take the existing choke out of your barrel and install the threaded choke in a thicker part of the barrel. Your barrel may end up being a couple inches shorter but if you take it to a good gunsmith they should be able to tell if it is possible and SAFE.

for the price of a new wingmaster barrel, I might go buy a newer used 870 express.

Only if they have figured out how to stop the rust from forming on the express parkerized finish. I have both and would go with the Wingmaster any time. I would shop around for an IC or Mod barrel or have the chokes put in.

Thanks for the insight and advice guys, I appreciate it! Well final conclusion is I am buying a new barrel. I do own a 870 Express, it was a gift and now is my back up gun. Bryce I do like your comment though! People look at me when I uncase the gun in the field, they look at the amount of money I have invested in gear and are surprised I shoot what I do. American Waterfowl had a good article on the ol' wingmaster this month, good read. I have debated on a new gun and have spent hours and hours researching new autos and have shouldered about all of them in stores, nothing seems to really catch my eye, and I know that the 870 will always perform in the coldest weather, I wish the darn thing was not so sentimental laugh I think the seasonal depression has set in only 10 months till 2013 waterfowl season! Thank you all for the info.

Kettle

I inherited my Grandpa's old 870 Wingmaster about 25 years ago. Not sure how old the gun is but I'm guessing its one of the earliest models based on the early design of the forearm stock. Also this gun looked like it had been used a lot when I got it.

The first thing I did was replace the barrel with a Remington brand replacement barrel. The barrel that was on it was bent. I got a shorter one with a ventilated rib and interchangeable chokes for pheasant hunting.

Recently I replaced the stocks, only because my buddy gave me the ones off the 870 he just modified. I don't use the gun for ducks because its only a 2 3/4", but it gets used for pretty much everything else, including deer. I have a rifled barrel for that.

I own a few different shotguns but this is the one I use the most because its so reliable. I am very accurate with it. I love the action of this gun, maybe because its old and broken in, and I don't have to worry about scratches or anything.

A barrel is a lot cheaper then a new or used 870. You made the right choice.

Nels

I love the action of this gun, maybe because its old and broken in,

This has a lot to do with it, the newer ones don't seem as smooth and even my fathers newer one with over 1550 rounds through it and it is not nearly as smooth, might even get the thing re blued grin

Kettle

I used to have 870 Wingmaster, and got the Light Contour barrel for it. Sold the gun with the old 30" full barrel, and kept the LC barrel. Now I have my Dad's Wingmaster and the LC barrel on it. Looks great, operates great. You can feel a "slight" bulge on the LC barrel where the chokes screw in, but you can really see it at all. It does make the gun "faster" and lighter. It also packs more of a wallop, especially compared to my usual gas auto.

But that is the route I would go, the LC barrel, if you are going to keep shooting the gun. Good luck.

A gunsmith should have a tap for a thin walled barrel for an 870 that is what my ringmaster was and I love it. The cost of converting the old barrel to one with chokes was less than half the price than a replacement barrel. Replacment barrels start at 200.00 to 300.00 depending where you get them and what barrel you chose.

What ever you go with the 870 is a true work horse when it comes to shot guns. That's why I own 5 of them.

Btw a good gunsmith can turn that rough slide into a smooth running machine also. Just saying

A gunsmith should have a tap for a thin walled barrel for an 870 that is what my ringmaster was and I love it. The cost of converting the old barrel to one with chokes was less than half the price than a replacement barrel. Replacment barrels start at 200.00 to 300.00 depending where you get them and what barrel you chose.

What ever you go with the 870 is a true work horse when it comes to shot guns. That's why I own 5 of them.

Btw a good gunsmith can turn that rough slide into a smooth running machine also. Just saying

100% right Gordie. When the end of the world happens I will have my 870 in my grip rotating slug and buck in the tube winkgrin