• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New RV'er!!

tipup

The wife and I just picked up a new to us 23' Toy Hauler. We are very excited for the summer so that we can try it out. My question is, what would you all recommend be the first few thing we buy to make our new RV an enjoyment for the whole family? Thank in advance!!!

It depends on how your family will be using your rv. Staying at campgrounds with full hookups is a lot different than dry camping in the forest. I would recommend "camping" in your driveway a few nights. Try to avoid going to your house and you will soon realize what you need when camping away from home. After a year or two of camping you will want to take inventory of what you have in your camper and remove what you do not use or have no need for. We started rving last year after buying a 26' 5er. It sure beats staying in a tent and is much more enjoyable not having to pack and unpack every time we go camping.

I would start with good quality rv accessories, sewer hose and assorted fittings, fresh water hose, water filter, wheel chocks, level, leveling pads, extension cord, saw, box of rubber gloves, and small toolbox with any tools you may need.

highlife has some very good ideas. One thing I would suggest if you are going to haul toy's like dirt bikes or wheelers inside your toy hauler. Get a nice big piece of old or cheap carpet to lay down where you are going to park your toys when hauling them. That way if you drip any gas our oil you can take the carpet out at night and sleep without it smelling so bad all night! It doesn't alway bug guys, but woman and kids will hate the smell! sick We started out with a popup then two RV's and now have a Park Model at a camp ground on a lake. Have fun, we did when the kids were young. smile

Generator, if you don't have one. We also put a deep cell battery and DC to AC inverter wired up to provide AC power if we wanted to watch movies, tv, radio and not have to listen to the generator running. Small axe for splitting campfire wood. I have a soft sided tool box with some basic tool, hammer, various screwdrivers, plier, wrenches, also a good place to keep fuses etc. Pack extra blankets etc, you just never know when it is going to cool off in the evening.

We rarely go places where there are full hook up, we prefer boon docking it. So we pack for that kind of an experience rather than where it is all there.

Must have items depends on the type of rv'r you want to be. A main distinction is whether you plan to use "hookups" all the time or if you plan on being off the grid more. Its lots easier to plan for hookups since most of the things are already part of your camper. You will need a pressure regulator and a good hose used only for drinking water, a good sewer hose to drain your tanks with and a good a/c cord for plugging in with. Maybe consider adding a water filter if you don't have one built in.

For "boon docking" like upnorth said, you are off the grid and will need your own power source. The standard group 27 deep cycle battery is barely enough juice to last a long weekend, especially if you need the furnace. Consider upgrading your batteries before buying a generator. a pair of deepcycles, or better yet a pair of golf cart 6v batteries wired together will last a week. Being able to charge them with the generator will be nice, but at least you wont need to run the generator every night. Your RV probably has a pretty good water tank. If not, consider getting a backup water bladder for extra water.

Our family likes to eat outside so we have a nice grill on our RV and I have a set of grill tools that stay on the camper. FOr me personally, I like real plates and dinnerware. I don't like cutting a steak on a paper plate. We bought a set of dinnerware in the closeout section at a home store. Very cheap and its good to have real utensils.

You will need an assortment of sizes of leveling blocks. You can buy plastic ones or make your own. I'm not a tool guy, but I ripped down 3/4" plywood into some 1'x6' planks for driving on to level the camper and I made 1'x1' squares with the rest for jack pads. Also get some good wheel chocks. I like the scissor style chocks. I assume you've got a tandem axle trailer.

Outside of that, the rest of personal preference. Try it out in the driveway or at a campground near home and give it a few test runs. Some different things like 12v fans or an electric heater can go along way in keeping your camper comfortable without using a lot of fuel or power.

30 AMP extension cord as some outlet boxes are not always in a the best spots, fresh water jugs, camp stove if you like to cook outside, outdoor RV mat/rug just outside the door, foldable table, head lamps for setting up at night, spot light for backing in after dark, tripod if you have a fifth wheel, Dutch oven for taste deserts, screen tent. As you camp more you will always find things that you think you need. And as was stated earlier make sure you go through your rig at the end of the year and if you have not used something that summer consider pulling it out. Remember it is never too earlier to start making reservations. Enjoy the upcoming summer. I know we can't wait.

If you plan on using your rig in the early spring or late fall I would recommend getting a 1500 watt ceramic heater. I do this and it saves plenty of propane, used mine last weekend at Hinckley and the furnace only kicked on a couple times. It was in the low 20's ourside.

Good ideas so far!

A set of stabilizer jacks make the stay much more enjoyable. There is nothing worse than waking up every time someone rolls around in their bed.

WS

Kind of a funny story I had heard about stabilizers. Well lack of using them. A family pulled into a camp ground with a popup camper and when the kids ran down to the play ground right away after they had just pulled in. Mom and Dad thought they had a little time for some "fun" before the kids got back. When they both got on to one side the whole camper tipped up and dumped them J Bird right out the back of the camper in front of the whole camp ground kids and all! shocked The Dad ran around to get back in but forgot he had locked the door so the kids wouldn't just pop back in on them. He then had to put the stabilizers down that he had forgetton to put down in the first place and crawl back in the pullout to unlock the door so they could both get dressed! They got the kids, packed up and left! laugh