• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bolt action deer rifle?

Looking to get a new deer/blk bear rifle for next year, something in a bolt action not super expensive

( 300-600$ not counting a scope) so when I scratch/drop, or if stolen from truck I won't care so much. I'm also trying to decide on a caliber, I have different options to hunt some long shots 300-500yds some in heavier cover in the woods. Any recommendations on good shooting gun and caliber?

Thanks

If your anywhere near Blaine, stop into Capra's and talk to a guy named Jerry . He's an extremely knowlegeable expert on guns and can help you not only select the best gun for your application but more importantly fit your budget! Sometimes the most expensive gun isn't the one "you" are necessarily looking for. First question most salesmen ask is what's your budget then try to sell you something exactly in that price range or slightly more. Jerry will get you into something that your going to be happy with without braking your bank. At the very least you will be able to take a look at and hold some different options and pick out first hand something you will like and cherish. Good Luck!

I'm kind of a Remington 700 rifle guy but when my son got his first rifle we ended up buying a Savage after I did quite a bit of research. It has an accu trigger that the hunter can adjust and many reviews I've seen rank them pretty high. Cost about $450 with synthetic stock.

I have numerous 700's and I also have a Savage with the accu trigger. Both are very nice rifles.

Tikka also has some very nice rifles only I do not know if that fits you price posted.

I love the 7mm as I use it in numerous situations and it's a great long run caliber.

If you were to ever decide to go out west elk hunting, this caliber would work fine.

I also have a 300 mag but thats a bit on the large size for deer and kicks a bit too.

I also have a 300 mag but thats a bit on the large size for deer and kicks a bit too.

Worthy of consideration though because you can get reduced energy loads for the 300 mag that are still quite sufficient for deer, without the full house kick.

I got a Ruger M77 Mark II Sporter in 30.06... And I love it! Never failed me yet and is a bit more accurate now that I got my scope reticle leveled.

Shot a deer a few years back at 330+ yards. The only down fall of the gun is the triggers are non-adjustable. But I feel no need to change it as I have killed everything I have shot at with it.

I have a buddy who talked up is Browning A-bolt .300 Win Mag. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it and got rid of it. His name is Mr. Twister on here lol. He talks up the stupid bolt only having to open up so far to pull it back. But in all honesty who cares. To me that makes no difference in your shooting, besides maybe taking a fraction of a second more to load a round. My thought it hit your target on the first shot and the second one won't matter.

The 700 BDL is also a nice gun. If I was going to buy another though I would look at the Savage. Best triggers hands down and they're nice guns!

Looking to get a new deer/blk bear rifle for next year, something in a bolt action not super expensive

( 300-600$ not counting a scope) so when I scratch/drop, or if stolen from truck I won't care so much. I'm also trying to decide on a caliber, I have different options to hunt some long shots 300-500yds some in heavier cover in the woods. Any recommendations on good shooting gun and caliber?

Thanks

i bought a tikka t3 .270 a few yrs ago and love it. One of the best purchases i think i made. i believe it was $599 without the scope. however, if someone stole it i would care...a lot?

Thanks appreciate the opinion, don't get me wrong I would care if stolen but less than if my Browning bar, or weatherby accumark got swiped, that's what I meant just looking for something for certain areas I hunt walking through thick brush or bouncing around on my wheeler or leaving it in the truck at times.

Thanks

Wow a guy couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with a Browning A-bolt 300 Win Mag and its the rifles fault? I don't think so. The caliber and rifle are great if you want the power and don't flinch.

I think the gun was fine in my opinion. The problem was I believe the kick of that gun would jar the scope and knock the sites off.

Ammo can make a big difference. Fortunately, plain old Remington Cor-Lokt shoots really well out of my Ruger M77 .270 and is perfectly adequate for deer. Were I going to shoot something on the larger side for the caliber I'd probably try some premium ammo...something with Nosler Partition, Trophy Bonded, Barnes X, etc.

I really like my Tikka. I got it probably 5-6 years ago. Its a 7mm and I really like the caliber for deer hunting. The thing that I really like about the Tikkas is that they are very light it makes them easy to carry. They are accurate and I beleive they are in your price range. Very good gun in my opinion