• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to pick up chicken gizzards

masoct3

Hello all cats,

I was wondering where I might be able to pick up fresh chicken gizzards? Also, is there a place that will also give me some blood from some animal so I can soak the gizzards?

What bait do you use if not gizzards?

Thanks so much. I want to try to catch one before the season is over.

MAS

I sometimes use chicken livers, a small bucket straight from the grocery store.

Channel cat season never ends.. for some people, it picks up as soon as hard water is here. I've never tried livers through the ice though, and would be interested to know if they work well.

Channel cat season never ends.. for some people, it picks up as soon as hard water is here.

Yes it does grin Liver has saved more than one day for me in the past. Sometimes I will even go with the beef liver, it seems more durable than the chicken.

Far from a cat officcionado, but my experience of 3 years on channel infested water is like what Dtro said ......in that gizzards/liver is effective, but generally the larger fish are going to come off of some sort of live(fathead) or dead(sucker) minnow/cut bait. There are days, however, when it does out perform, but, again, in general, other meat presentations will more often produce a larger fish. Same thing applies to crawlers. Yes, they are also going to get you fish, but the more strung on the better for size. My hands down favorite presentation for channels is a half of a squished/belly cut tail or head piece of a light pike(6 inchish) sucker minnow.....fresh or frozen.

Edit....as far as winter cats go....just do whatever the guy above me says to do wink

You can also use cut sucker or cut sheephead or just about any other type of cutbait. Or, night crawlers.

Funny you said that. I was at Hidden Falls and caught quite a few suckers on a drop shot rig. River is down. I had never been where I was sitting...very interesting.

I sometimes use chicken livers, a small bucket straight from the grocery store.

Channel cat season never ends.. for some people, it picks up as soon as hard water is here. I've never tried livers through the ice though, and would be interested to know if they work well.

I know livers are good and all, but they are very weak parts of the inners. That is why they go for the gizzards and maybe the heart. At least that is what I was told. Put the gizzards and some blood to soak in outside in the sun and in a couple days you get some stinky stuff, but it works.

Also, putting the liver and other stuff in a sock legging that is tied up where you would throw it in the water draws them in.

chumming isnt allowed here in mn (sock trick)... Ive done it too and it works well , I prefer to change out my bait for "fresh bloody livers" and "feed the fish" with the old pieces.

personaly I hate getting my pole all "sticky" with rotted liver and blood.

Fresh liver works fine for me ,But cut suckers or bullheads is my favorite and produces "THE BIG CATS"

Put the gizzards and some blood to soak in outside in the sun and in a couple days you get some stinky stuff, but it works.

I left a container of chicken livers out on the picnic table outside of a cabin we were staying in at a resort to get them more stinky for catfish bait. I walked away for a bit and the resort owners dog came and ate up the whole container. I always wondered how he felt after that.

I left a container of chicken livers out on the picnic table outside of a cabin we were staying in at a resort to get them more stinky for catfish bait. I walked away for a bit and the resort owners dog came and ate up the whole container. I always wondered how he felt after that.

I'm 100% positive he felt satisfied and probably in need of a nap.

lol So I havent been on FM for awhile and I was scrolling down the main forum page I saw a portion of the title "Where to pick up chick..". Sadly this thread isn't what I thought it was and not only that I have already posted in it. smile