• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone Use a Smooth Barrel Anymore?

Trying to decide between the little more expensive entry level Mossberg interchangeable and the 870. Going to be my first gun since a teenager, and not knowing much about guns, wonder if it is a hassle to switch over and also wonder about sighting in/accuracy issues after doing so. Likewise, how much better is a rifled barrel? Am sure a lot, but "back in my day" a smooth barrel set up like the 870 with rifled shells were common and plenty of deer were still shot. Thoughts? Better alternatives that keep me around 4 bills?

PB My 870 is a smooth bore 20 inch barrel. I have the best group with brenneke slugs. I have shot many many deer with this gun.

It is a 2 3/4 gun and I have taken deer out to 150 yards with out hesitaion.

There is nothing wrong with using a smooth bore barrel for deer hunting

it will get the job done.

I would try a few different kind of slugs but I would not use the sabot style slugs thru it as they are not designed for a barrel with no rifling.

Cant go wrong with the 870 it is a very very dependale gun.

If you would like to shoot one you could try mine out and see how you like it.

I shoot an 870 as well. Been using this gun for deer hunting for over 20 years. I use Federal Tru-Ball 2 3/4" slugs. Have always shot the cheap ammo and have not had any negative effects. This load has taken many deer. I actually prefer the smoothbore over rifled barrel as I am used to wing shooting so the bead sight doesn't bother me.

I would not go back to a smoothbore, EVER. I have switched all my shotguns over to rifled barrels for deer. I am not saying that it cannot be done with a smoothbore, they have been taking deer for a long time. However, I don't know anybody, (and I have asked), that would go back to a smoothbore once they shot a rifled barrel. Starting out or starting over, I would definitely recommend the rifled barrel.

The cons are that the ammo is more expensive, so finding the right ammo can get up there in price, but once you find it, you should be good for years to come. Just like a smoothbore, every gun shoots slugs differently.

Lund, just courious if you have a rifled barrel for your 870 and if you still use it anymore. You mention in your post that you prefer your smooth bird barrel over a rifled barrel. If so, you would be the first person I have ever heard of doing that.

I had used a Rem. 1100, 12 ga. with a slug barrel for years. I added a red dot scope and this worked out quite well. The big downside was the weight. I inheirited a 1100 20 ga. featherweight from an uncle and got the idea of swithching this over to a slug gun. Found a used slug barrel, scope mount and red dot on the internet. Had a devil of a time getting it sighted in--didn't have something quite tightened up enough. But now I hit pop cans in the 50-75 yard range with it and thats good enough for my hunting. This is with Winchester slugs. Nothing special about Winch.-just the brand one brand I picked to shoot. This sure made for a nice lightweight little gun to carry around.

pushbutton, are you looking for a dedicated slug gun? If so, check out the Savage 212 and 220? They're fully-rifled bolt-action shotguns. From reading the forums here, people are really happy with the 20ga as far as range, accuracy, and recoil are concerned.

Edit: As far as changing barrels goes, that is generally no problem and takes less than ten minutes. Have the person at the gun counter show you how it's done on any specific model you're interested in. As far as accuracy with the slug barrel goes, that would not be effected if you have a scope attached to the barrel. The scope and the bore of the barrel wouldn't be moving seperately, so you should have no problems. Just don't take it off the shotgun and use it as a club...

Thanks guys! I am not that smart/handy, cheap, and borderline lazy so really leaning towards the 870 for its versatility and ease. But, yeah, we use round wheels for a reason, and sure the rifled barrels are a decided improvement, and yes, Tom, was also looking at a dedicated 20 gauge as well. Will have to sleep on this and flip the coin tomorrow. Hopefully my 3 pages of parking warrants do not trip a red flag in the background check grin

I would not go back to a smoothbore, EVER. I have switched all my shotguns over to rifled barrels for deer. I am not saying that it cannot be done with a smoothbore, they have been taking deer for a long time. However, I don't know anybody, (and I have asked), that would go back to a smoothbore once they shot a rifled barrel. Starting out or starting over, I would definitely recommend the rifled barrel.

The cons are that the ammo is more expensive, so finding the right ammo can get up there in price, but once you find it, you should be good for years to come. Just like a smoothbore, every gun shoots slugs differently.

Lund, just courious if you have a rifled barrel for your 870 and if you still use it anymore. You mention in your post that you prefer your smooth bird barrel over a rifled barrel. If so, you would be the first person I have ever heard of doing that.

I do not have a rifled barrel for my 870. I had a Mossberg 500 that had a rifled barrel. Never felt comfortable lining up the rifled barrel sights on a running deer if needed. Guess I am used to the beads on any moving target. I think it is easier to line up since I am used to grouse hunting and need a quick shot. It is more what I was accustomed to. I do use my .54 caplock Renegade 54 with iron sights too so I do shoot a rifled barrel sometimes. If I am posting for a drive I grab my 870 instead of my Renegade.

everyone has offered very good info.

i shot a smoothbore for yrs and have taking many deer as well.

the 870's and Moss 500's are both very good and reliable guns. ive owned both and personally decided to go with the moss500. i like the top tang safety which is what im used cz my Stoeger and Browning have them as well.

having the interchangeable barrel combos are pretty sweet and its cheaper then buying a gun with just one barrel and buying the other barrel separately. changing of the barrels can take less then a minute once you're used to it. its very very easy to do.

fully rifled barrel with sabots slugs will have better accuracy, distance and knockdwn power. but the slugs will be a lil more spendy.

however, most 20ga sabots slugs will out perform a 12ga rifled slug. so if you're lookin at 20ga's less can actually be more.

FnF, ive known people that have used rifled chokes and its not much more effective then a smoothbore with IC or C chokes. i personally wouldnt waist the money on them.

I have a 870 that I have shot for years with the smooth bore then two years ago I tried a riffled barrel because the price was right. The whole point of all of this was to find something for my son to use. Any way I tried the sabot slugs and didn't like the result. So I talked to a friend of mine that builds guns of different types and he said to try a riffled slug, this was something new so I did try it out. I will never go back to sabots for this gun. The accuracy improvement was huge. Last year the boy took his first deer with it and this year we will be using a new sight set up that he likes even better. The stock sight on most barrels seem really big and blocky and had to see past on moving targets so that is why we moved to what we have now.

Good luck.

I have my dad's 870 that he bought when he got back from Korea in 1952, thing still works like the day it was new. I put synthetic stocks on it and have a smooth bore slug barrel. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I sit with my rifled barrel 870 and sabots when I think I might have a long shot, but out to 50+ yards you don't need to spend 3 times as much for a sabot slug, when a regular slug through a smooth bore will do the trick just fine.

PB My 870 is a smooth bore 20 inch barrel. I have the best group with brenneke slugs. I have shot many many deer with this gun.

+1

This is the only shotgun i've hunted with since i was of age. Brenneke also gets my vote, though i'll stop shooting at 100yds with this gun. A rifled barrel and sabot - then 150yds.

I have shot my 870 express 28" smooth barrel for years and have had no problems other than it was long...well this year I decided to get a shorter barrel. The problem comes in that I am left handed and the gun I have is a left handed ejector...I thought I found the perfect replacement built by mossberg but that was no good as it was only for right ejector's...my only option is the keep the smooth barrel I currently have and shorten it to 21" and shoot rifled slugs. I love the 870 exress and I would highly recommend it but just know if you are left handed your options are limited as remmington does not build replacement barrels for lefties anymore other that the 28" smooth barrel.

Used is not a bad way to go in my opinion. I purchased a newer Mossberg 500 pump with a rifled slug barrel and nice Nikon scope with a sling for $300.00. My brother purchases a Mossberg model 500 with slug barrel, sling, scope and a shot barrel (Dunhams I believe) for $299.00. I'm less than impressed with the scope but thats a good deal in my book. Pushbutton where abouts you hunting? I'll be hunting around New London. First time deer hunting for me in 20 years. The equipment has come a long ways since I was firing slugs out of my duck gun and a 50 yard shot was a coin flip. I am zeroed in at 75 yards and can put 5 holes in a spot the size of my fist. I'm using a lead sled to do that but it's great to know the gear can perform that well. Good luck.