• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hit list

surewood

Sd ice angular, I've been trying to pattern my bucks. Date, time, temp, but the big ones haven't shown me a pattern to work with. Just not in their nature up here. For example the big 8 my first pic first came the beginning of july, then 7/27 7:30am, 7/28 11:30pm, 7/30 6:25am and 9:35pm, 8/6 10:15pm, 8/9 10:15am, 8/11 8:50pm, 8/14 11:30pm. Just happy to have him showing up on a semi regular basis.

Plan is to hunt the big 8 the first couple days, then try the big 10 a couple days if that doesn't work. If I don't get either I'll let the area sit until late October. That's the big 8's core area so he should be around. I have pics from him last year in late October so I figure it's his core area or real close. I'm on vacation from October 18th to November 10th. Should be an interesting game of cat and mouse.

Scoot, I see your from ND. Still back and forth if I should go out there bow hunting around the 18th of October. Trying to decide due to the deer herd taking such a big hit the last couple years.

What the food base where you hunt? Acorns? That would be your best bet I would guess. I love the first two weeks of the season.. IMO the best time to pattern a mature buck. I have 5 different ones that I have on camera that I would take.. Like you, I plan on getting in early and then giving it a rest till late October while I hunt another farm... Good Luck! Getting excited....

Deep in the woods where most hunters won't go. Nothing good comes easy.

Well said, a lot of times if you aren't hunting their core area way back in no mans land you will never see or shoot those bigwoods bucks, not even during the rut.

Those areas are old cuts as far as food goes. I have secondary spots in some acorns. I'll let my cameras tell me where I should sit.

Bear, I've tested spots where most hunters sit (easily accessible). Some decent bucks, but nothing like my spots way back in. Brought a guy from Iowa out two a couple of my spots and he thought it was crazy how hard I work for deer. He said I'm gonna feel cheated when I hunt down there and he drops me off at the bottom of my stand.

I hear ya, took my neighbor out for a hike last season. He was pretty shocked that I pack in a stand and walk that far almost every hunt. I have a couple of cushy spots not far off the road that can pay off too but most of my good spots are off the beaten path or a short canoe trip in.

I have concluded that the bucks know where the human/hunter traffic is and avoid those areas in daylight at all costs. If you can get back where they don't expect to see people you find a lot more daylight action.