• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorit e Memories Of The Arrowhead

reinhard1

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

full-35080-23905-img_0009.jpg

didn't say where this was taken, but since they lived in the arrowhead my guess was the Rainy River. in the album someone wrote "this is all i could lift". well i give him credit for the effort. that is a big sturgeon for sure. back in the late 20's. good luck.

LOL, i wish it was. i told my wife that after watching his excelent show that that was me. it was always me in my heart i guess. my brother and i spent a lot of time in the wilderness. always felt as i belonged there i guess. guess i took more pics back then than i do now.

wish i had his skill in building things. how amazing is that anyway. i could cook myself to surviving but he had a natural and God given skill and mindset to survive for years.

i remember when i took my wife [then girl friend] up to the Isabella/Finland area on some of the gravel roads. we were going to Windy Lake and i saw a wet spot on the gravel road ahead of us. just a small area the size of a plate.

i stopped my truck and went to the spot and started to kick out a small hole with my boot. she asked me what i was doing. i said i needed a drink. i waited till the dirt cleared up and went on my knees and started to drink[just a small spring]. she still married me and it's been awesome. good luck.

full-35080-23939-img_0006.jpg

time to pull in the stringer and head for home. i think we fished from shore near points and drop offs more than anything for lakers. those dead smelt sure worked fine. mainly fished for them early in the year as well as stream trout, then went for walleys. good luck.

Awesome photos....keep them coming.

And yes, the Proenneke special is pretty amazing. I don't know how many times I've watched it by now, but every time I see it on I have to stop what I'm doing and watch it again.

I think I was most impressed by his ability to make the door hinges.

that is exactly what i was impressed with among the other stuff. but the hinges were amazing. also his health stayed great until he left as far as i know. dont know if i would of taken the "hikes" he did but he did say he had a pistol with him. i think he would of waited until the last minute to pull the trigger though. i have both of the films of him and i watch them even though i have seen them before. always a joy to watch for me. good luck.

full-35080-23988-img_0004.jpg

the Dorothy Molter Museum is something i have not seen yet. these pics where taken by my late father-in law who loved to travel, plus visit his beloved northcountry. i found these pics among his family pics and it's my goal to visit this place. full-35080-23989-img_0005.jpg

she was a nurse, resort owner and died on her island in 1986. i think her and Richard Proenueke [alone in the wilderness] would of made a great couple. good luck.

full-35080-24014-img_0006.jpg

if i recall right Dorothy started putting broken paddles around her area to keep the critters out. as time went on people that visited her offered her paddles but they must be broken and non usable for her to accept them. well some people just sawed their paddles in half and gave them to her. then they started to paint them and so goes the story. good luck.

full-35080-24065-img_0005.jpg

another pike bites the dust. one of my favorite fish to eat.full-35080-24066-img_0008.jpg

and of course crappies. these were taken from a small lake i visit mostly in the fall. i get walleys and crappies on the same bait. an 1/8 ounce lindy fuzzy grub in the pink and white color tipped with a fathead. the crappies have no problem slamming down on this bait. good luck.

full-35080-24091-img_0013.jpg

i dont know if anyone has ever stayed at Nordbergs Resort on Boulder Lake near Duluth but our family did often. these are some rental boats at the ready during low water. we used to seign our own minnows from the lake on that beach area. every sweep had yearling walleys in there and also some shinners and sucker minnows. this area is now the Boulder Lake Environmental Center. good luck.

full-35080-24112-img_0015.jpg

i found this pic and remember this day well. just getting my feet wet as far as steelhead in the 60's and watching the old timers and their tactics. this was at the tail end of the sucker hole [Knife River]. back then just plain orange yarn did real well. sure some used spawn also but the orang yarn seemed to be used a lot. but not this guy. he used a crawler to get this nice steelhead. only time i ever seen anyone use a crawler.

in one of the earlier pics of steelhead on this thread with me my mom and friend i tell of using a black and white aqua spoon [a knock off of a daredevil] with a single hook. never seen anyone ever using spoons for steelhead or loopers in the rivers since. hard to break away from the spawn bag nowadays, but just for the fun of it i may try a crawler or that old aqua spoon [with a single hook] just for old time sake this spring. good luck.

full-35080-24124-img.jpg

although my grandson likes panfish he likes walleye's also but needed help a few years ago.full-35080-24125-img_0012.jpg

had to net the fish for him back then, now he net's them for me. one of my favorite places to go camping. Bearhead Lake, near Ely. good luck.

full-35080-24148-img_0001.jpg

years ago we stayed at Crooked Lake Resort near Finland/Isabella. small rustic cabins they had, and it was cheap and slept us well. the only problem was that they had no running water and the electricity was shut off at 10 pm. needless to say they did a good buisness from us from ice sales. food went in the fridge in the daytime and some went in the coolers overnight when the power was off. water was from a pump but that was ok. fishing was good.full-35080-24149-img_0003.jpg

this is the shoreline were we did great for walleys. 8 feet of water and we did well. i had two muskys that kept harrasing the walleys on my stringer. i seen the walleys swimm to the surface next to the boat. i looked over the side and there was a good sized musky and a smaller one under them. i tried to poke them away with my net but they kept comming back. i told my brother this [he was in another boat] and he just laughed and said sure. well i stood up and put my net in the water right in front of the larger one's head. took a big scoop and lifted the musky up and yelled "here it is"!!! well i think it was about 15 pounds or so and back in it went. never came back. good luck.

full-35080-24173-img.jpg

in all of these vintage pics of Kabetogama and other lakes in the arrowhead i cant recall a small stringer of fish. this is a mix of pike, walleye's, crappies and smallies.full-35080-24174-img_0002.jpg

but then once in awhile you see one nice walleye caught. and this time by a young lady. good luck.

full-35080-24183-img_0005.jpg

we have pranks for some of the first timers we took along with us. this guy was taking a nap and i went and reeled his line in and put a hook into this rubber chicken. brought the line back out into the depth and the chicken sank to the bottom. i woke him up and said his line was going out fast and just stopped now. he reeled in slowly till he found resistance and set the hook hard. well the rubber chicken filled with water and a few sinkers gave him a battle and i gave instructions holding the net ready to net the trophy. when he saw the chicken he just started to laugh. had me fooled all the way in he said. made him a adult beverage and i shared other moments with this famouse chicken. good luck.

Thats good stuff RH!!!! In our world, the new guys were always FNGs (F****ng New Guys). You had to mess with them in some way.

I can't believe how close your tents are to the water. It doesn't look like the time of year you would want to get very wet If those waves I see kicked up another 10 miles an hour................ Of course, if the adult beverages are done in a suffceint quantity, it really won't matter (till the next morning). laugh

well there wasn't much beach area to set the tent up and the alternative was to go up the hill to flat land. fortunatly we never had the wind that time around. it is cool to be that close though at times to savor every sound. the guy in the pic talkes about that time with the chicken [and the trip] to this day [of course we dont let him forget it]. good luck.

full-35080-24205-img_0003.jpg

it says this lady is picking "pin" cherries while at the Split Rock River on the north shore. my guess is that they are choke cherries and they called them different back then. but then i could be wrong.full-35080-24206-img_0004.jpg

looks like this youngster got some luck, and has a stringer on that boat behind him. looks like they had some low water levels on the Kab at this time. good luck.

full-35080-24233-img_0007.jpg

always nice when you portage into a remote lake with a canoe and the lake is like glass.full-35080-24234-img_0006.jpg

rough weather sometimes shuts down the walleys but the pike seemed to be still willing on this day. we had a storm come through with a cold front. jackets come in handy in June along with raingear up north. good luck.

full-35080-24258-img_0008.jpg

i dont know why we called this place Alden Lake dam. probably because of all the logs were the lake empty's into the cloquet river. i remember catching lots of smallmouth and of course rock bass there. we just casted artificials there and only went there one time. i think that would be a great place to take a canoe. full-35080-24259-img_0010.jpg

two reasons i took this pic. one was that where this small creek empty'd into this walley lake in the Isabella area was the place we put our minnow traps and could always count on having enough shinners and chubs for the day. the other reason was that this little creek held some small brookies if you walked up far enough. it also had springs near the stream. the springs were very small but ran into the creek. we didn't fish for the brookies just observed them in the small pools. no sense messing with their population, they probably have a tough enough time maintaining what they have. good luck.