• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorit e Memories Of The Arrowhead

reinhard1

full-35080-22802-img_0007.jpg

even under the most toughest conditions for early steelhead my brother managed to nab one. didn't realy expect to even fish that day with the ice conditions still in the streams. this was the only fish we got that day, and it was one we didn't expect. normaly you wait for the streams to clear of ice and a warming temp and rain for the main run, but this guy didn't go with the norm. good luck.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while i will be sharring more of my memories i thought maby some older pics would be interesting as well. from time to time i will show some pics from my deceased father-in law's albums when he grew up in the Virginia area. these old pics were from the 20's and up. i have 3 old albums full. full-35080-22803-img.jpg

wonder what the limits were back then.full-35080-22804-img_0002.jpg

looks like a nice walleye right off the dock. the guy in the middle was an officer in the US Air Force during World War Two. flew many combat missions. i have all his diaries and other things. he gave all his memories to Curt [my father-in law].full-35080-22806-img_0001.jpg

guess nobody has seen any of these on Kabetogama recently grin. i'm guessing it's a two man kayac. probably all wood. all three of the pics are from Lake Kabetogama.

i'd guess that is canvas stretched over wood, similar to what they do on the bush planes maybe?

Great pics anyway. I recently looked through an old album from my great grandfather's homestead up in Beltrami State Forest. There is something about looking through those old pictures and being able to put a visual to all those stories we heard.

full-35080-22814-img_0021.jpg

this is where i stay for 5 days or so during firearms north of Duluth. 1974 Jako camper. works just fine.full-35080-22815-img_0017.jpg

full-35080-22816-img_0019.jpg

full-35080-22817-img_0022.jpg

this is what i see from one of my stands. it has been logged two years ago and since then the hunting has improved. have to use a scope now, when before i used open sites. i think i'll stick to scopes now anyway, can see much better with them. good luck.

full-35080-22855-img_0025.jpg

there are a lot of hidden lakes within the forests of the Arrowhead. some of them have some quality fishing to be had. this lake i have mentioned before and have a pic or two on this thread of the great walleye fishing there. i usualy go to this lake twice a year. once in the fall and once for early ice. we keep enough for a meal and wait for another trip the next year. good luck.

sometimes you just wonder why we spend so much money on the latest tackle item that comes around. while i get taken in and use some of these items i wonder how the people back in the 20's and upward catch stringers like these. i mean i know they didn't have florocarbon or even the most common monofilament lines. probably the old black line with a bobber and hook and a minnow on the end. didn't even have the electronics we have now. i think in the old days people caught fish not only to have some fun but to survive.full-35080-22857-img_0012.jpg

guess all you needed was a good truck, trailer, motor, and a boat. good luckfull-35080-22858-img_0008.jpg

full-35080-22872-img_0004.jpg

some of my favorite times camping in the Arrowhead is spending time with the family and my grandkids. here my grandson [much younger then] where just sitting and talking while waiting for a trout to bite. i had my little tackle box along and he would ask me what's this for and what's that for. where do pine cones come from and much more. great memories. good luck.

the not so easy to get to lakes bring great rewards at times. i remember this day because i lost a no. 5 mepps with a bucktail. they were not cheap even back then. lost that prized posession because i didn't like using a leader. this little lake just had pike and perch for all i knew. cought a few pike and then on one cast the mepps just kept flying after the line snapped because of all the little cuts from the pike's teeth. good luck.full-35080-22895-img_0013.jpg

full-35080-22913-img_0006.jpg

always a chance for a mixed bag in the Arrowhead.full-35080-22915-img_0015.jpg

this lake is very shallow and these crappies were caught in about 8 feet of water. the water is stained also so we had no problem getting bites during the day. did have to be quiet and not make a lot of noise. good luck.

full-35080-22931-img_0002.jpg

fishing with smelt on the bottom off shore can surprise you at times. we would drag the smelt with the slip sinker out aways to where the lake trout hang out with a boat. well sometimes you get surprised. nice pike went back to swim another day. i got a 8 pound walleye one time doing the same thing. kind of makes you wonder if all the predators are scavengers at certain times. good luck.

full-35080-22937-img_0013.jpg

i guess they got a lot of snow in the past as well as we do now in some periods of time.full-35080-22938-img_0010.jpg

i think the dog sleds was more necessary back in the old days up in the Arrowhead than they are now. now we have races and for enjoyment but back then it was a form of transportation and bringing supplies to folks. good luck.

full-35080-22966-img_0006.jpg

this is somewhere in Finland Mn. my guess would be near the Babtism River where it runs through town there.full-35080-22967-img_0007.jpg

i have been to Thisledew Lake a few years ago and camping when i was a kid. amazing to see old pics from there and those sturdy canvas tents. good luck.

i remember when camping as a kid at the campground on Fall Lake near Ely, we had a few visitors and some were bears. here is a nice one who filled out the top of the picnic table.full-35080-22999-img.jpg

here is how the Vermillion Dam looked like in 1931.full-35080-23000-img_0010.jpggood luck.

full-35080-23036-img_0011.jpg

i dont know what you call them, but my favorite bird up north is the whiskey jack. they love the suet i bring up there to hang outside my camper during firearms season.full-35080-23037-img_0009.jpg

it wouln't be deer season without the traditional bringing of the salt block with the sun getting a few of it's rays through the cedars. good luck.

full-35080-23040-img_0002.jpg

nice day for a boat ride on Little Vermillion back in 1925.full-35080-23041-img_0001.jpg

looks like the ladies bagged a couple of big snowshoes for the pot. i ate a lot of snowshoes as a kid and more later in time when i got a chance to try for them. great gravey and kraut and dumplings. good luck.

full-35080-23071-img_0001.jpg

another chance at some night fishing while the skies are full of color as the sun sets on the northland.full-35080-23072-img_0004.jpg

this pike didn't bite off the line this time while fishing for walleys. this is a good size for a meal. take that Y bone out and they are awesome. good luck.

full-35080-23077-img_0008.jpg

full-35080-23078-img_0001.jpg

our favorite camping sites on Bearhead Lake. top is no. 9 and bottom is no. 8 of the non electric areas. nice bathroom right accross from the sites. close to the showers and near our boats on the lake. good luck.