• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorit e Memories Of The Arrowhead

reinhard1

full-35080-22687-img_0001.jpg

i posted this pic in the former state record thread in the great lakes salmon and trout forum before but i thought i would stick in here also. this is my brother back in 1988 with his former state record king salmon. he has fished the north shore streams since the early 60's and still does. he still lives in Duluth being a retired police officer from Duluth. he cought quite a few large kings in that time period both in the rivers and out in the lake. the fish was over 32 pounds. good luck.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

full-35080-22707-img_0004.jpg

Thought i would put a little deer hunting stuff on. did some after firearms season scouting many years ago in this pic. one of those years we actualy had some snow during the season. found this major trail eventualy heading into a cedar swamp. good luck.full-35080-22708-img_0002.jpg

this is a different year but this is the large trail that leads into the cedar swamp. logging took care of the trees in front of the swamp and a stand is near this trail. one of our guys got a 6 pointer on that stand last year. good luck.

Thanks reinhard, for sharing the great pics and stories of a time long past. I'm 23 and the last time I was even remotely close to the arrowhead was when I was probably 5 and I only know that from the pictures, I dont remember any of it. Thanks again.

Thanks. like i said before it is kind of theraputic for me to look back myself. refreshes the mind. feels real good. good luck.

RH - You nailed it right there. I really enjoy putting on some of my favorite music and going through my Up North pics. I'm smoking a meat loaf (pics on the recipe site to follow), sitting outside with the puter, looking at the river, and dreamin. If I can't be up there, the pics mentally put me in that place right away. No therapist in the world could do that. While those 60's pics you have been posting are your coming of age pics, they are my childhood up there. Just awesome!!

full-35080-22714-img_0028.jpg

but they sure get into fishing real well when you let them set up the day and forget all about what you want to do. when the bite slows down sometimes time at the beach at Bearhead State Park is a way to go for awhile until the bite in the late afternoon. that was my grandson Tyler in the previous pic years earlier and this pic a couple years after. now he's 13 and knows how to backreel grin. good luck.

full-35080-22715-img_0013.jpg

went on a lot of trips with my best friend Mike in the Arrowhead. we always paid attention to topographycal maps where we went to see if there were any "unamed" waters near where we camped. here is another place we found just by taking a hike up a hill and there it was [in the background]. just took our rods and some spoons and spinners. the little lake was no more than 60 acres i would guess. had a lot of pike in there. no other follows or anything. the water was bog stained but it did have some life in there. the other lake we found in one of the pics up aways had clear water and a bunch of perch along with the pike. but this one just pike as far as we know. good luck.

full-35080-22720-img.jpg

21 years ago i got married to a wonderfull beautifull woman and went on our honeymoon. no, not the typical places, but the Arrowhead. cant buy this kind of senery.full-35080-22721-img_0001.jpg

and then to some of the streams that flow into Superior.full-35080-22722-img_0004.jpg

full-35080-22723-img_0005.jpg

full-35080-22724-img_0006.jpg

good luck.

full-35080-22743-img_0007.jpg

full-35080-22744-img_0008.jpg

full-35080-22745-img_0010.jpg

some of these areas of the streams in these pics just cant be reached without a lot of effort. one person was trying for trout with a fly rod. while my wife took these pics i was trying to do some casting with artificials for some c/r. got a few small brookies in the reachable areas, but in general the real catch was the beauty of the rivers. good luck.

full-35080-22760-img_0014.jpg

well steelhead are gradualy comming back but not anyway near where they were years ago. you can however get some Loopers [Kamloops Rainbows] especialy in the lower rivers of the north shore. here is a nice one caught in the Knife River by the green house hole. dime sized spawn sack drifted under a bobber just so the sack bumps bottom. get to know the rivers and you can get into some of these. good luck.

full-35080-22765-img_0023.jpg

looks like we are having walleye for dinner at the campsite at Bearhead State Park. the boat landing is behind me and i got my boat tied up on one of those little docks they provide for you. i always go in June to this park and never had a problem getting walleys.

a co-worker told me of this place years ago and when he told me it was a state park i said right away that that's not for me. my wife and i [and family] are used to tenting and not always the easiest places to go. well i trusted his word and went. i got hooked after that. he told me of a "cant miss spot" for walleys in the am and pm. ya, sure i said to myself. well he was right.full-35080-22766-img_0029.jpg

here i am releasing a 31 inch walleye we caught on that spot the first year there.full-35080-22767-img_0030.jpg

my youngest daughter got her personal best there also. she lost a bigger one earlier that day. she released it. we only keep some for meals. good luck.

full-35080-22720-img.jpg

21 years ago i got married to a wonderfull beautifull woman and went on our honeymoon. no, not the typical places, but the Arrowhead. cant buy this kind of senery.full-35080-22721-img_0001.jpg

and then to some of the streams that flow into Superior.full-35080-22722-img_0004.jpg

full-35080-22723-img_0005.jpg

full-35080-22724-img_0006.jpg

good luck.

Is that a moose in the background in the second pic?

i think it was a cow if i remember right. should have mentioned it when i posted it. just could not get close enough and she took off into the woods. my wife took the pic. i will have to ask her if it was a cow or a bull but i think it was a cow. ok, now i'm editing my comment here. my wife came home and said that was not the place we seen the cow so my bad. it is 21 years ago when she took this pic but we did see moose in similiar places so i think it was probably a blow down with the roots showing. good luck.

full-35080-22774-img_0024.jpg

if anyone has been above the falls where the Cloquet River enters Island Lake near Duluth there is some limited fishing. we do real well on opener below the "falls" when you cant get above them. go early on the opener and you will get mostly males at that time. you can get some crappies and smallies above those "falls" but most of the action will be below and into the lake itself. good luck.

full-35080-22781-img_0015.jpg

my favorite spot on Boulder Lake. when the wind is blowing on the large boulder on the right i throw a boober and leach ahead of it and let it drift to the boulder where it's only about 4 feet deep. good luck.

full-35080-22783-img.jpg

what's better than a couple of stream trout caught and cooked right next to a stream. back to the 60's here. i think all we had was salt and pepper and a can of lard.full-35080-22784-img_0004.jpg

i remember this day because of the sunburn i got on my face. anyone ever fish Twin Ponds up on the hill in Duluth? well that's were these trout came from. we would walk up there because we were only a few blocks away. we used to go to the Enger Golf Course at night after a rain [or during], and get all the nightcrawlers we needed. then put them in Twin Ponds and bring home some trout.

the golf course there had a little creek that flowed through it. had brookies in there. the creek was maby two to three foot wide in places. we used to put our hands under the banks and sometimes get lucky by grabbing a brookie with our hands. memories. good luck.

full-35080-22792-img_0005.jpg

when i say they have some nice perch in Caddott Lake i mean it. this clear lake with a nice campground on it can get you to almost forget about the walleye's during the late afternoon and into the evening. during the day we would get this size often. still have a couple of those Mitchel 300's and still use them. not the greatest pic but that was from the 60's but you get the idea. good luck.

full-35080-22798-img_0003.jpg

years ago we kept more fish than i do now. here we had a good day. my dad never fillet a fish. he just scraped the scales and cleaned them up and fried everything in butter after dusting them in flour and some salt and pepper. we also pickled a lot of pike and i'm sure some in the pic went that route. my brother got into filleting and did a good job at it.good luck.