• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorit e Memories Of The Arrowhead

reinhard1

yes we ate them alot. venison and partridge also. my mom had a way to make gravey out of anything and lot's of it. real German potato dumplings and homemade saurkraut with bacon on the side. grew up on the poor side but we ate well. good luck.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

full-35080-23088-img_0009.jpg

full-35080-23089-img_0004.jpg

full-35080-23090-img_0005.jpg

i thought i might throw in some of the original minning that took place up on the range. many of my father-inlaws friends worked in the mines. very hard work and long hours i was told. those old steam shovels are amazing to see. good luck.

thank you. the older pictures of the range and Arrowhead area are from my father-inlaw who has passed away. he was born on the range and these are photo's that were taken by his family and reletives who also lived there. good luck.

full-35080-23105-img_0006.jpg

when i was a kid we ate what we caught. didn't matter if it was a trout, walleye, pike or bass.full-35080-23106-img_0001.jpg

when we were kids it would be the three of us. my dad, my brother, and myself. i remember this day. we camped on a lake up north and the fishing was slow. we ran out of minnows [a lot of them died] and had some crawlers left. put on some canadian minnow jigs and put a piece of worm on there and within an hour we had a lot of action.

we never fillet fish back then. just guttet them, scalled them, took the head and fins off and into the skillet they went dusted in flour and a little salt and pepper. fried in butter. good luck.

full-35080-23119-fishingandmore2012_0005

we are all used to going to the store with a car, truck, van, or even a bike. try this once as they did years ago. you go by dog sled.full-35080-23120-fishingandmore2012_0011

how many of you that have lived in the Duluth area ever camped at Nordbergs Resort on Boulder Lake? well my family did and a lot of it. in this pic from left it's me, a buddy, and Jim Nordberg the owners son. lot's a memories here. in this case it was partridge hunting. good luck.

full-35080-23168-fishingandmore2012_0014

when i first looked at these guy's moving brush and debries from a future homestead i was thinking wheels would be nice to have. but this may have been the best way at the time with a lot of debries on the ground.full-35080-23169-fishingandmore2012_0016

here the guy's are moving some big timber to build a dock. that has to be some sturdy dock in the end. good luck.

The tow pic is great. When we go into the BWCA, we go into the motorized area (Basswood). Can't count the number of times we helped canoeists when we saw them in a 20 mph headwind, on big water trying to make camp at the end of the day. It's quite tricky to not swamp the canoe, but it definately can be done. They may have been an anti motor, Bdub purist prior to the trip....but got to thinking about it after.

people do appreciate it when they are having problems. i had people thank me and offer me cash most of the time and i refused almost all the time except once. a guy offered me a case of beer [he had plenty in his truck at camp]. that i took. saved me a long trip back to town. good luck.

full-35080-23245-img_0002.jpg

this is about as far up as i ever got by boat on the Cloquet River where it enters Island Lake near Duluth. the lake level was up and i was able to get my 1850 Chrestliner up there with the 115 Merc tilted up slightly. this is a good sized pool not that far up with shallower rapids flowing in. we got some small walleys, crappies and a couple of smallies here. drifted minnows hooked through the lips under water just above the rocky bottom.full-35080-23247-fishingandmore2012_0011

this is a nice stringer of walleye's a buddy of mine and myself got at Caddott Lake. got them during the night on a black canadian minnow jig. good luck.

full-35080-23251-fishingandmore2012_0001

that's one heck of a hauling rig. good size tire also. maby doubles for a fish cleaning table for those Kabetogama walleys.full-35080-23252-fishingandmore2012_0008

we had a good day on this trip years ago. not all the time, but this day they were hungry. good luck.

full-35080-23311-fishingandmore2012_0001

had a good weekend on this lake years ago. kept some we caught the day before on stringers and hoped for a few more the next day. had some more luck.full-35080-23312-fishingandmore2012.jpg

well then came the clean up for the trip home. my brother did the honors. we hung the fillets over the oar. left the skin on till we got home at that time. then packed them in ice after stopping somewhere to get some for the trip back to Duluth. good luck.

brings back a lot of memories for me. those last two pics i remember well. i can still remember dragging the 14 foot Sears boat through the woods after running out of travel by 4 wheel drive truck. that motor got heavy after awhile even for a young guy like myself at the time. good luck.