• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorit e Memories Of The Arrowhead

reinhard1

full-35080-24286-img.jpg

for the lady that lived in the area during the 20's, i found one more pic of a school in Virginia. maby you recall this building. on the back it only said a school in Virginia Mn. full-35080-24287-img_0009.jpg

my brother fishing the creek comming out of Sawbill lake. there were smallies [mostly small] in the deeper streches downstream. in our heads any creek up there should hold trout. well not this time. good luck.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

full-35080-24294-img_0003.jpg

getting ready to check the standsfull-35080-24295-img_0004.jpg

and put out some salt blocks. salt blocks for us has been a tradition every year. realy dont know if they help much, but it's nice to see the activity near and on the blocks. at least you know there are still some around. good luck.

full-35080-24304-img.jpg

setting up with a couple of buds for the day of hope during a bluebird sky on my favorite small lake up north.full-35080-24305-img_0001.jpg

my buddy stops by to show me his catch while i was having no luck. that's the average crappie in this lake. we got them in early ice season in 8 foot of stained water. daytime action is the best. nice when you can go to a lake and not see another angler. the lakes are there, just takes a little effort and a wheeler or snowmobile. in the first photo you can see my brother and another friend fishing off a point. we are fishing in a narrows from a shallow bay as it enters the main lake. good luck.

full-35080-24335-img_0005.jpg

early ice, late ice, tough conditions for wheelers or vehicles this is what i use most of the time.full-35080-24336-img_0008.jpg

we normaly seperate our group on two locations as i noted on the pic above where two of us were setting up on a point in the background on this 300 acre lake. eventualy by communicating back and forth the narrows as we call it provided the action so we set up all together there. if i remember right we had about 6 inches of ice that day. good luck.

full-35080-24351-img_0007.jpg

it's easier to see wolf tracks with some snow. we see that often by our deer camp. if you look at the water bottle, on the top there is a track and to the right is a track. i look forward to hearing them at night. back and forth like stereo. i have seen a few over the years but that is a rare sight. good luck.

full-35080-24373-img_0008.jpg

my favorite campsite at Bearhead Lake Campground. good ol, no. 9 on the first loop. close the the bathroom, lake not far away, nice and large [i do all the cooking so everyone comes here] and a short walk to showers and the fish cleaning shack. good luck.

full-35080-24510-img.jpg

this large fry pan went with us always when we camped. many mealy were made on this one. can cook more than one item on this pan. fish, eggs, potatoes on this particular meal for breakfast. to us lunch was breakfast and then dinner later. in the morning we got up, had some coffee and went fishin and then when we came back it was breakfast. good luck.

full-35080-24529-img_0001.jpg

most of the time i catch eaters. that's because i like to eat fish and the big one's are by accident and i get those too. hopefully still swimming. full-35080-24530-img_0010.jpg

you know, smaller fish are fun also. i enjoy them all, plus the day just to be there. good luck.

full-35080-24546-img_0011.jpg

here is a old pic from the 60's that will give you a good tip on catching some eye's on Boulder Lake. as you can see this was during low water conditions. this pic was taken on the southern end of Boulder right by the entrance to the large shallow bay there.

i'm standing where now the environmental center is facing the east side. you can see the long sand bar comming off the point. when the lake is at normal levels you want to be on the left side of this sand bar [out toward the lake]. we have slow trolled crawlers there and just anchored with bobbers. always had good luck there even recently. my brother went there as recently as a couple of days ago and kept 3 walleys and released others. minnows under a bobber did the trick. when the water level was normal, it went right up to that log near the bottom of the pic.good luck.

Reinhard. This is really, REALLY amazing stuff! Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. Adding all these old fishing pics to the HSOforum is absolutely priceless! Thank you.

I started reading, and viewing pics at the first page, and couldn't stop till the end. Best thread on FM, no doubt!

Do you know who Mr.Bauman is? His name is mentioned in several of the old pics from the 20's and 30's. A relative of yours? I love the pic of the two old timers cutting a tree for building the house! She's wearing a full length dress! smile Also, that one pic of the anglers lined up on the shore of the Knife River...that water is RAGING! If someone slipped in there it would be all over in a heartbeat.

Gosh this brings me back to my youth. You've got a few years on me, but the experiences are so similar. Again, thank you.

Mr. Bauman was my deceased father-inlaws best friend. they grew up together up in the range. Mr. Bauman was also a bomber pilot during world war 2. he was a officer in the US Air Force. my father-inlaw ended up with all of his stuff after he died. i have a suitcase full of world war 2 diary's, pics, letter's, and souvenirs from Europe from those years. many pics from France and Germany prior to the war also.

my father inlaw turned out to be a chemical engineer and never went in the service. i have old pics of the southern part of the US as they traveled in the 20's and 30's and California that are interesting as well.

my father-inlaw and i had many conversations of what life was like up north growing up as kids. as you can tell they sure caught a lot of fish up at the Kab grin. they ate a lot of wild game as well. good luck.

My friend, you have the "makings" of some great books! I'd bet if you called a publishing company, they would provide you with help to assemble some of your priceless archive of history into readable publications.

You're a lucky and blessed man to have such a rich historical past in one of the most truly beautiful places on the planet.

thank's i appreciate all the kind words. your suggestion does give me some thought. the world war 2 diary's and letters are amazing in itself. may have to spend a few nights to read more of them. i spent many years in the arrowhead. you are right, every moment regardless of weather was a blessed momment [although at times it didn't seem that way eekgrin]. i love the old pic of the old cars and the way of life during the 20's and 30's. got some more to post as well. good luck.

Keep em' coming buddy! I could read and look at this stuff all day!

I'd bet those war diaries are really interesting. The world is SO different now.

I'm telling you, the right publishing company would have someone up to your place in a heartbeat to review what you have, and see what they could put together. Not that it would be the primary motivating factor, but there would likely be some "healthy" royalties involved as well.

I used to spend a lot of time in nursing homes talking to the folks about how life was back in the day. My now passed Grandparents told fascinating stories of life here more than 100 yrs. ago. Even my Dad and Mom grew up on prairie farms without electricity or running water!

These stories are dieing away fast with our aging generations, and a record of that history is so valuable. Sadly, many of these stories are never told.

Would you be able to post a few of the pages from the war diaries? I too really love to see those old photos, the old machines, and the old weathered faces of people that worked so hard to survive not so many years ago. Our younger generation can learn so much from seeing how life was only 70-100 years ago.

full-35080-24559-img_0003.jpg

just cant take the kid out of me yet. i enjoy panfish just as i did when i was a kid. i get just as excited as my kids did and now my grandkids.

full-35080-24560-img_0001.jpg

stayed at Silver Fox Resort a few times on Boulder Lake. nice people, rustic cabins [small and cheap] and a good place to hang my hat and sleep. good luck.

full-35080-24570-img.jpg

three generations with one good ol Chrestliner. my dad used to own the 17 foot Fishhawk in the center of the pic. then i bought it and then in 2001 i sold it to my daughter and bought a 1850 Chrestliner. that 30hp Evinrude needed very little work over all these years and the boat brought our family many years of joy. good luck.

full-35080-24574-img.jpg

Man, that is one huge walleye and from Kabetogama to boot!!!! not knowing how tall this guy is but i would have to guess it's over 10 pounds or more.full-35080-24575-img_0001.jpg

and of course stringers of a variety of sizes. these people knew how to fish. my father-inlaw told me once a lot of the walleys were cought off shore with minnows and crawlers. no crawler harness, but just put a crawler on a hook under the bobber. good luck.

full-35080-24582-img_0007.jpg

realy didn't know how long Lutsen existed. but they were around in the late 30's or early 40's. check out the prices during that time. i checked a diary of that date and it said that they put 8 gallons of gas in their vehicle and it came to 1.68 total cost. good luck.

full-35080-24606-img_0004.jpg

on the back of the pic it just says up the trail on the north shore. so i dont know what trails were driveable at that time in the 30's. guessing the Gunflint but it's just a guess. all gravel roads at that time of course.full-35080-24607-img_0005.jpg

another good stringer from the Kab. good luck.