• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorit e Memories Of The Arrowhead

reinhard1

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

full-35080-23332-fishingandmore2012_0002

full-35080-23333-fishingandmore2012_0003

my brother on top and me on the bottom pic years ago. it's been awhile since we have been to this small lake and others. it was tough to get there dragging that Sears 14 footer and the Evinrude but worth it. didn't have 4 wheelers back then just two feet but in better shape than i am now. i would like to go there for some hard water action. you kind of like to leave these lakes alone but i've given it a few years and i got a wheeler. i think we drank more beer than coffee back then. good luck.

full-35080-23379-fishingandmore2012_0006

there can be some good trout fishing to be had in the many stream trout lakes we have in the Arrowhead. this is about the right size for the pan.full-35080-23380-fishingandmore2012_0012

camping on Crane lake back in the late 20's. those must have been some durable tires in those days i would think. these folks drove from Michigan to visit here. good luck.

full-35080-23397-img.jpg

this is the first deer stand i remember being built by our party whay back when. i have been hunting there since the 60's to this day.full-35080-23398-img_0001.jpg

my dad knew someone who had access to Alden lake near Duluth back in the 60's. this is the lake i lost my biggest pike ever. i'll never forget when the pike jumped into the air with strands of weeds hanging on it and pop goes the line. did not have my drag set right if i remember right. had to be in the upper 20's. good luck.

full-35080-23402-img_0016.jpg

not the greatest pic but this is said to be a pic of a CC camp in the Arrowhead. CC camps were built to provide jobs for those unemployed during the depression. people there built roads, surveying, wildlife protection and more. where i deer hunt there are "ruins" of a CC camp. foundations of buildings can be seen but overgrown with vegitation. i should go there one time with a metal detector. says Acko trail on the pic. wonder if they ment Echo trail. good luck.

full-35080-23436-img_0002.jpg

this was one awesome dog. gentle as can be. he sure loved going fishing with us in the 60's and early 70's. RIP Ralf.full-35080-23437-img_0003.jpg

while i'm washing my hair, someone else is taking out smelt to drop in 40 foot of water for lakers. good luck.

full-35080-23442-img_0004.jpg

we would take some old tarps along for longer stays that a long weekend. not always but you could find some old timber in the woods and make a temporary shelter from the sun or the rain. not the best but it worked for us years ago. good luck.

full-35080-23464-img_0005.jpg

we used to take fence material along and made them in squares or whatever shape worked and weighed them down with rocks and kept fish alive as long as we could that we decided to take home with us. this way we didn't have to open the coolers with ice that were sealed and covered with wet blankets to save the ice as long as possible.full-35080-23465-img_0007.jpg

this is the way we used to clean fish for transport back home. they went in plastic bags and covered with ice. then finished cleaning at home and frozen. good luck.

full-35080-23479-img_0013.jpg

looks like a good day for snowshoes. hunted them for many years and ate everyone of them. my mother could make the best gravey with them. started off with a .410 and then went with a .22 after getting tired of picking out the small bbs. good luck.full-35080-23480-img_0014.jpg

cooling off on a warm day.

good luck.

full-35080-23485-img_0010.jpg

a poster PM'd me and said he has a mom who is 85 liked some of the old pics and mentioned a school she went to in Chisholm. it was Lincoln School. well i could not find that school in the albums but i did have Chisholm High School as it was in 1931. wonder if that school is still around or used for something else. full-35080-23486-img_0011.jpg

she also said she had relatives who worked at the Shenango Mine. here is a group of workers at this mine in 1929. good luck.

full-35080-23497-img_0006.jpg

clear water during the day i go deeper with a jig and leech. however as the evening approaches i head to shallower reefs and shorelines with the old bobber and leech during the summer months.full-35080-23498-img_0008.jpg

this pot of pea soup is very famous. my dad made it and told us it will be the greatest meal we would have. we were having some adult beverages waiting for this meal to be done and watching our lines we had out for lakers. when it was "done" it was so thick we could cut sections out of it. i stuck a butter knife in the center and it didn't move. my dad blamed it on his sister for it was her recipe. [i think he put too many peas in there]. this "soup" was talked about for years. it was so bad i took a pic of it as you can see. good luck.

Oh man.............I love pea soup. Not sure if I would like it so thick you could stick a knife in it, but..............

Heading up to Namakan tomorrow morning for 4 days. Won't have any soup on this trip, but Rib Fest will be alive and well.

full-35080-23503-img_0012.jpg

my fatherinlaw told me it was here his parents stayed at times while clearing trees for their cabin basicly with their own hands and help with family. after the land was cleared they did hire help with building the cabin.full-35080-23504-img_0013.jpg

here some guys are resting while building a dock for a cabin. quite the difference from the roll out type of docks now. good luck.

full-35080-23506-img_0002.jpg

sometimes any flat surface works to cook a meal.full-35080-23507-img.jpg

same goes for cleaning fish. this place has an old table. my friend here, learned all he knows from his grandpa about fishing, because his dad didn't fish at all. spent a lot of time on this small lake which is not stocked by the DNR. has nice crappies and walleye's in there. we keep enough for a meal and have released a few walleye's over 7 pounds a number of times [including everything over 3 pounds]. go here in the fall mostly. they realy go on the feed bag in this stained lake at this time. good luck.

full-35080-23520-img_0009.jpg

sure would like to see the roads that people used to get to places like Eagle Nest Lake by Ely in 1926. looks like the area around the car has been cleared and some boulders and rocks showing.full-35080-23521-img_0003.jpg

full-35080-23522-img_0004.jpg

more mining pictures from the Range. good luck.

full-35080-23537-img_0002.jpg

firearms season 1967. been hunting in this spot since then. my friend there at the time wanted to dress up his doe for the pic i guess. i remember the doe here that i shot. i was sitting on the ground under a pine tree near a clearing. realy not much of a clearing cause we are used to hunting in some thick stuff at times before they logged it.

i saw 8 or 10 deer comming across this small clearing and got ready with my 30-30. i was ready to shoot another doe when all of the sudden this doe walks out of knowhere so close to me that i would guess it was less than 10 feet. as i raised my rifle she raised her head. i lowered my sights to her neck and squeezed the trigger. down she went and that was it. my first deer. great memories. good luck.

full-35080-23556-img.jpg

the Knife River in the 60's by the posted boundary. people lined up for steelhead.full-35080-23557-img_0001.jpg

i remember this pic. the 60's again. i'm standing by the Sawbill trail. my brother and i fished the little creek near Sawbill lake. there were some smallmouth in there and one good sized one that i just could not get to bite. we actualy thought there may be trout in there at the time with the overhanging grass on it's shores. we did get some small smallies and sunnies. good luck.

full-35080-23569-fishingandmore2012_0004

teaching the kids early. my brothers daughter and my oldest daughter went with us on a few fishing trips a few years back. we nailed a nice laker fishing off shore this day.full-35080-23570-fishingandmore2012_0005

rewards for a good early in the year laker weekend. caught on dead smelt off shore. slip sinker and dragging out the line to 40 foot deep [was our magic depth grin]. had the green box back then. actualy still works. good luck.

Awesome thread, Reinhard.

For me, this one is a no-brainer. A few years ago, a then-friend and I went on a hiking/backpacking trip on the Superior Hiking Trail. All our other friends backed out, so it was just us two. We stayed at my now favorite campsite in the state, the East Lake Agnes campsite near where the SHT swings close to the Caribou Trail. She and I spent all night around the fire and out on the point, chatting and watching shooting stars.

Needless to say, we're now going to get married. smile

full-35080-23869-img_0012.jpg

when fishing off shore for lakers for a long weekend we would atach the lakers as we caught them on a stringer and then tied that stringer to a rope. this way we could let the lakers go deeper and keep them alive longer.

full-35080-23870-img_0010.jpg

even in June up North we can get some cold days. a nice fire helps along with some brandy in hot apple cider. good luck.