• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MN River Cats...what's going on?

DTro

At first you might ask why other fish haven’t been affected, which makes logical sense, but then an afterthought is when do they spawn? Fish like walleyes, pike, white bass, etc spawn in the early to late spring and probably are more adept to handling high water and or unstable conditions. Now take a catfish that spawns when the water temp is around 80 degrees when most rivers are usually at their lowest and slowest flow and all the sudden a summer monsoon brings in an influx of high fast water. It could very well have moved them totally out of the system. Whether that is into backwaters and died, or up small creeks (which were large at the time) and died, or moved way downstream.

I always will remember Dennis S telling a story about a 25lb Flathead he found WAY up a small creek and it was stuck in a small pool. It was so shallow that it’s fin was dried out. He ended up pulling it out and relocating it to the river, but who knows maybe if there is high water during the spawn this may have been more common. It’s seems unlikely that a large population would have died but who knows….

Also a question for GoooBack. How long have you fished Pool 2 for catfish in which you can discern that nothing has changed there?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DTro I do remember catching cats in the Sand Creek as far as the Jordan waterfalls when I was a kid but that didn't last very long do to the culverts and fish barriers so to speak up from the river.

I also understand that the Noodlers target big cats and was just thinking they may know what these fish do when the high waters flood the spawning areas.

These fish adapt to a situation and if it means moving out of a system that is not right for breeding/spawning I'm sure that they will do that in order to survive.

I guess I am starting to see that Yes it could be that they have moved out of the system. Thanks DTro for helping put that in a better perspective for me.

There is no way fishing pressure has anything to do with this. Overall, there really aren't that many people who fish the Minnesota River. It's usually the same people who are out there night after night with the rarity of the people who go down there, catch a big Flathead, and take it home because they don't know any better.

It sure seems odd that the fishing on P2 is so great and the fishing on the Minnesota is now so terrible. I'm in on the theory that they have been moved out because of the unusual flooding patterns in the last couple of years. Joel seemed to hint that it was very unlikely for that to happen, so who knows. All I know is something is happening that's for sure.

Also a question for GoooBack. How long have you fished Pool 2 for catfish in which you can discern that nothing has changed there?

Forever.

Just as the MN river has been experiencing high water events.

All the factors above could be, and are likely contributors...but to completely dismiss fishing pressure is very, very naive.

Some people need to learn this the hard way. Some never learn.

"I also understand that the Noodlers target big cats and was just thinking they may know what these fish do when the high waters flood the spawning areas."

I should probably read things a little closer before responding. crazy I see "noodling" and go on offense, as there are people in Iowa pushing to legalize hand-fishing here on the grounds that it looks cool on TV.

I've never heard anything about how floods affect location and numbers of flathead after the fact from noodlers, or anyone else. As Dtro and others have said, I would guess it is a case-by-case scenario, where habitat, timing of the flood, and other factors determine how flooding affects flatheads long term.

Perhaps they are just better fed the past couple of seasons? Just as plausible as "fishing pressure". I have seen considerably less fishing pressure due to high water making shore fishing difficult to impossible. At least in my stretch of the Mn.

That's a great point, Rob.

I've seen this type of thing happen when walleye fishing -- had years when you could spend many days trolling/drifting/bobbering around on Mille Lacs marking fish CONSTANTLY, catching VERY FEW... This can go on for many weeks, if not a whole summer, when the young perch populations are strong (or other forage, like bug hatches, etc). And then there are years like this year where every report I read says they're jumping in the boat (and people are complaining about this...).

Maybe the fish just aren't hungry enough to eat our baits. I'm a master at baiting, but even that can't necessarily convince a fish that isn't hungry to eat.

Seems the same is happening in the sippi. At least in my area. Everyone i know that catfishs is saying the same. Very slow bite if any. The guys running set lines are even complaining about it.

Were still getting decent numbers at the dams in 70-80 feet of water, but those fish never have to move ever. There always seems to be a ton of fish, and big fish at that below the dams. Good oxygen, deep holes, and all the bait fish and dead fish floating buy they can eat. So thats usually a decent go to spot to try.

But above the dam where i normally like to fish i can barely buy a bite. A handful of flats, none of which even came at night, and just a handful of channels. This time last year i could dam near stop anywhere in the river, throw out some cut bait and get bit within 10 min of being there. Not this year. Not a chance. A total of 30 hours or better fishing the last 3 weekends and i can count all the fish we caught with my fingers and toes. Not good. We tried everything and every bait we can get ahold of. Not a whole lot of luck.

The waters still have been pretty high from all the rain in minnesota and the temperatures have been crazy hot, so hopefully its just a lull in the action. Im just glad i do this for fun and not to feed my family. But whatever. A bad days fishing is still way better than alot of other things. Keep the hooks wet i guess.

That's a great point, Rob.

I've seen this type of thing happen when walleye fishing -- had years when you could spend many days trolling/drifting/bobbering around on Mille Lacs marking fish CONSTANTLY, catching VERY FEW... This can go on for many weeks, if not a whole summer, when the young perch populations are strong (or other forage, like bug hatches, etc). And then there are years like this year where every report I read says they're jumping in the boat (and people are complaining about this...).

IT is hilarious to hear all the complaining about mille lacs! i was just up there this past weekend on an overnighter and 3 of us had an absolute blast catching hog after hog.... doesnt seem like there is much wrong with the lake to me!

But sorry to say ive been noticing the same thing with the flattys on the mn... the last two years have been terrible! The channels were mauling our chubs the last few times we've been out but last friday we didnt get a bite ALL night! Hopefully when the river goes down, and it WILL go down with all this hot and dry weather, the action will pick up. Im not gonna stop tryin!

Has anyone experimented with suspended baits? Caught a 25 pounder near mankato last weekend 4 feet suspended with a dead sucker in 8-10 fow. Was fishing for pike but that fight was worth it. I have also caught a 15 pounder on the mississippi in 20 fow and 8 feet suspended with a live sucker.

Has anyone experimented with suspended baits? Caught a 25 pounder near mankato last weekend 4 feet suspended with a dead sucker in 8-10 fow. Was fishing for pike but that fight was worth it. I have also caught a 15 pounder on the mississippi in 20 fow and 8 feet suspended with a live sucker.

I know that some folks use a bobber. WWG has done it on occasion. But, I don't think he generally runs that high in the water column....close to the bottom is his gig from what I've seen.

I know that some folks use a bobber. WWG has done it on occasion. But, I don't think he generally runs that high in the water column....close to the bottom is his gig from what I've seen.

Not quite the same scenario, but when I moved onto the Sauk Chain for a few years, knowing nothing about catfish and how to catch them....by far the most successful presentation I found was to float a bait just off the bottom.

Its funny you guys brought up this bobber fishing thing. I was out fishing flats last friday and tried a final spot at about 2am. Go figure my cast arched over a limb that I didn't see. It turned out that my bullhead was suspended perfectly on the surface just so that he had his belly in the water. I watched that #$!# bullhead for over an hour because I couldn't help myself. Believe it our not I had two big northerns come and try to eat it and a small flathead maybe 6 or 7lbs! None of them could pull my line out of the tree so it was all for nothing. This encounter would at least suggest that flatheads are opportunistic when it comes to feeding near the surface.

Man was it fun watching those fish chase that bully around on the surface...he was sure doing his best to get away!

As discouraging as it is to hear this, I have to admit it's somewhat reassuring to know I'm not the only one having a rough year on the MN. I've easily put over 200 hours in this year on the MN and have only had a few runs. Much to my chagrin, I've yet to see a flat. Channels have been plentiful (I threw a couple of the bigger ones in at the bottom of this post), but the frequency at which they're being caught is considerably lower than in years past. Often times I tend to be dismissive about dry spells seeing that I fish from shore, but there definitely seems to be something going on. Although the MN is extremely convenient for catfishing from shore, I think it's time I redirect my efforts toward the Mississippi. Since I live less than a mile away from the Miss, I've been looking for nearby areas that might be good to fish from shore. I know how many of us don't like sharing our spots, but I'm curious to try fishing below the dam below St. Anthony Falls (the one right below 35W). Has anybody here ever tried it, and better yet, is it a safe spot to fish in terms of riff raff? Would appreciate your guys' input.

Also, after reading a previous thread, I've been experimenting with attaching floats to my leaders in hopes it will keep my bullies off the bottom and increase the likelihood of triggering a flat. How close are you guys putting the float to the bait?

full-30798-22035-screenshot2012_07_07at4

full-30798-22036-screenshot2012_07_07at4