• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grilled Walleye

Actually, your average 10 pound walleye carries approximately 1/4 million eggs. If it helps you sleep at night after slabbing every big fish by saying, "it's past it's prime", have at it... even if it's got absolutely no basis in scientific fact eyebrow.gif.

Quote:
I come from a long line of hard workers and blue collar ancestors...

Me too, who'd have guessed shocked ... but that was the past & we know better nowadays, don't we? If you really need to be eating all the game and fish you can get your hands on just to survive these days, you've got bigger problems and probably aren't sport-fishing or hunting with a license anyway.

Good luck wink !

If that big walleye was good, you should try a 16-19 inch fish, they are out of this world.

First, I was not in any way trying to tell you what you can keep and not.

I was trying to say that I have tried gut hooked or eyes I thought would die and ate them.

For me, I would throw a eye back that was over 6#'s rather than eat it.

I love walleye but my go to eye to eat is from 15-19 inches. If that 19 is real thick on the back, that also will go back.

Personally for me, I could not even make myself keep a eye that big for the table.

I always said that if I ever boated a huge pike I would put it on the wall. A few years back I boated a very nice pike, the one in my avatar. As much as I wanted to put that fish on the weall, I could not kill it. To each thier own I guess.

Me too, who'd have guessed shocked ... but that was the past & we know better nowadays, don't we? If you really need to be eating all the game and fish you can get your hands on just to survive these days, you've got bigger problems and probably aren't sport-fishing or hunting with a license anyway.!

You know, you are absolutely right! Just remember that after you release all those big fish, me and my poor, unlicensed, law-breaking kin will be coming right behind you to scoop them up and bring them home to "slab them out." Thanks for your assumptions, but more importantly, thanks for the meal crazy

I find it funny that the ones who critize the 29.5 inch walleye consumed legally certainly wont pass on 150 class whitetail in hopes that someones else can witness it in the wild. Im surprised I didnt get grilled for the 31" I killed for the wall, Oh O here it comes.........

Or those who talk of keeping smaller walleyes because they taste good, but refuse to harvest equally young and tasty fawns (or at least admit they do) and belittle those who do. Instead they shoot a stinky old buck in rut that doesn't taste nearly as good.

Then again some think ground swatting a grouse is unsportsmanlike. Let it fly and shoot a moving target. Give the bird a "sporting chance". Prove you are a great shot and claim the bragging rights to go with it. Even if the risk of wounding is higher.

The same one says shooting at running deer is unethical because you might wound it, only take standing shots. What happened to giving deer a "sporting chance? Why not "flush" them before shooting, just like birds? crazy

We all have our own funny ideas. Myself included grin

lakevet

Sigh.......this site is so predictable. I was in the boat when the fish in question was caught. There was a very good reason it was kept. And it doesn't matter what the reason was does it? Maybe Rumeye wanted to keep it, maybe it kept going belly up after very little handling and 20+ minutes of trying to revive it. (hint, hint, hint)

In the end it doesn't matter because it was a legal fish.

And I'll have you know that while Rumeye kept that fish I only keep 1 walleye between 13.45"-14.32" every other leap year if it coincides with a full moon and solar eclipse to ensure a sustainable fishery.

grin

And I'll have you know that while Rumeye kept that fish I only keep 1 walleye between 13.45"-14.32" every other leap year if it coincides with a full moon and solar eclipse to ensure a sustainable fishery.

grin

That is a good way to sustaine the fishery. But isnt it hard to get one in your own personal slot. LOL. grin

Page 26 of Minnesota Fishing Regulations clearly states for walleye and sauger possession limit is 6(Not more than 1 walleye over 20" in possession.) Also it doesnt say anything about peoples opinions.

What you think or do is up to you and if someone else has different beliefs so be it.

Sigh.......this site is so predictable. I was in the boat when the fish in question was caught. There was a very good reason it was kept. And it doesn't matter what the reason was does it? Maybe Rumeye wanted to keep it, maybe it kept going belly up after very little handling and 20+ minutes of trying to revive it. (hint, hint, hint)

In the end it doesn't matter because it was a legal fish.

grin

I'm a little confused. You’re saying that you were in the boat and strongly hinting that he kept the fish only because he couldn’t revive it. He states in the original post “…Decided that if I got one over 28" that I was going to keep it and grill it..”

Without passing judgment here on keeping the fish or not, I’m trying to understand why these 2 stories don’t match.

Who really cares what the stories are the facts are he caught a fish he could legaly keep so he kept it and made a great meal out of it and then put the details out so he could laugh while he ate desert!! haha good catch and nice looking meal as always rumeye!!

Hey gentlemen,

I believe in catch and release (catch what you need and leave the rest for seed) and this is only my beleif but the big question to rumeye is...did you have a good meal? I have no qualms about you keeping a fish but if you keep any type of game do not let it go to waste.

ahh I see...it is all about presentaion. Can't throw on 2 huge fillets on a plate and make it look good you have to select a nice chunk of the walleye to go with the fixings. He just left some for others to enjoy or some for later....Good Luck going to go try to get me one of those big Mille Lacs walleyes in the morning!!