• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

R and R Marine

sled59

I bought my Pro-V from the one in St. Cloud and had a good experience. When I needed warranty service I did it in Shakopee. Lets just say they were less than helpful and not very friendly at all. I later had one of the original batteries go dead while still under warranty. When I went to exchange it the guy scolded me like he was my dad and said it was the only time he was going to do it. Now exchanging a battery doesn’t cost them anything, it is all on the battery manufacturer. I don't get his attitude. I will drive to St Cloud next time I need service for anything. Just my experience. Good luck.

i bought my chrestliner rig at R and R at the boat show in 2002. now things could have changed of course. at that time they were great. i have never had a problem with the boat or motor so cant say much about warrenty work. about 3 years ago i had the rubber inserts that cover my bearing buddies crack. i called them and told them i wanted to order some new ones and they asked me for my name. they said you are still a customer and sent me two pairs of new ones. now granted this was not a major expense item but i did appreciate it.

on the other hand i had a bad experience up here at a marine dealer. i stopped in to get an oil filter and a oil filter wrench to fit the size of these small filters. he asked me how i like the motor and i said i loved it and had no problem and told the guy where i bought it [sport show story] and he looked at me and said "why didn't you buy it from us" we were at the sport show also.

i said that you didn't have the model displayed that i wanted. he said "well we could have ordered it for you you know" in a sarcastic voice. i told him that i wanted to see it, feel it, smell it, and roll around in it. the guy didn't even smile and got me my stuff and i went home. never went back to that place again. one bad apple can ruin the whole buisness at times. there were probably better help there but i dont like being treated rudely when i shop. good luck.

When I was boat shopping for a new boat, I went to R and R, I was less then impressed. I went there and stood in the show room for about 45 minutes before someone helped me. Then when a salesmen finally came to me, I told him what I was looking for, and he told me the boats were in the fenced area, so I go back there to look at them, but the gate was locked, and I couldnt go in to look at them. I then walked back into the showroom and waited for another 30 minutes to talk to a salesmen, he then told me that since I talked to the other guy already, he couldnt help me, and I needed to wait until he was free. So I stood there for another 15 minutes, and the first guy I talked to asked me if I found one I was interested in, I told him the gate was locked. He told me to just look through the fence, and if there was one I was interested in, to let him know, and he will give me the price of it. At this point I was there for about 2 hours, and was told I can look through the fence at the boats, and if I was interested, he would give me a price.

I left, I went to Drantell's in St Peter and bought new Alumacraft Tournament Pro 175 with a F115 Yamaha on it that same day. I figured if they cant even let an interested customer in to see the boats, I wasnt going to beg to see them. Now this has been a while ago, and it was a Saturday, but to me customer service is important.

The new Rapid Marine in Rogers is nice and has a very large showroom with a lot of Lunds, Crestliners, and Rangers on hand as well as 20 + pontoons. They are all inside to look at. Swing in on your way to Cabelas and have a look.

A buddy of mine bought a Crestliner boat from then and had it serviced there each fall for many, many years without an issue. The boat has a Volvo Penta I/O. One year R&R forgot to refill the block with coolant and they also neglected to put the pin back in the cone that holds the prop on. When my friend put this boat in the water the prop assembly fell off the shaft as soon as he put it in forward. We recovered the prop (jin 45 degree water) but not the hub or washer. R & R wouldn't take responsibility for either mistake and wouldn't replace the lost parts free of charge even after talking with management. Based on the way they handled my friends problem I wouldn't recommend them to anybody. They lost a very loyal customer.

My rents bought a 20hp Yamaha outboard as a huge suprise gift for me. (I know lucky me) They weren't sure about transom height of my little aluminum boat so they were directed to go with long shaft. They were told they could return it if it was too long. Sure enough I needed a short shaft. Trying to return it was a huge hassle. Horrible customer service...if you could even call it that. Blatant denial of what was told to my parents, and finally about a month later of my persistence to follow up got the short shaft. They could sell the best products on earth and have the best prices ever...still based on the horrible customer service I'd rather pay a bit more...they don't really care once they have the money. How do companies that operate like this remain?

I bought a Lund with a used E-tec motor. I had problems with the motor and they couldn't figure it out. They claimed they ran the diagnostics on it, and nothing came up. They gave me a few stories about the origin of the motor. I finally gave up on them and took the motor to their St. Cloud shop. They couldn't believe Shakopee dropped the ball. They ran diagnostics, and they were able to tell when the motor overheated, etc. It was the water pump. I wouldn't go back to Shakopee.

I wasn't looking for anyone to bash them . We bought a used boat 2 years ago. I put it in the lake and it didn't run very well. I took it back and bought a new boat and to begin with we put the smaller motor on it. We took it back on the lake and it ran well, it just didn't have enough power. We took it back and exchanged the motor for the bigger motor with no problems. They were great about it and have been great for everything after that.

Well, when it came to buying the boat, they were great and very helpful.

Now, the boat is paid for and I have a motor issue. Long story short, I took the boat back like 11 times in 2 years and each time they said they found the warranty issue and fixed it. No, they never did figure it out. Once they told me they called Mercury and the Mercury rep came over and figured out what was wrong. I picked the boat up and guess what, still did not run correctly.

Then I called LUND and talked with Kurt the Pro Staff Director and he said I should take it to Ham Lake and they would get it resolved. I did that and they fixed the issue the first time. Mercury then added 5 years of warranty to my motor for my troubles.

I liked the R & R place but the repair shop was a bit lacking in the knowledge dept and when they lied to me about having called and the Merc Rep coming there to resolve my issue was a very bad expierence.

Wrong prop on the motor and had to have that exchanged and they did take care of that. They hooked up the fuel gauge and that didn't work either.

I believe thay had some younger inexpierenced mechanic's in there and I understand they have to learn but there should have been at least 1 with some expierence there. If they did have one, he was not very good. That was approx 5 years ago and I have never went back.

I wasn't looking for anyone to bash them . We bought a used boat 2 years ago. I put it in the lake and it didn't run very well. I took it back and bought a new boat and to begin with we put the smaller motor on it. We took it back on the lake and it ran well, it just didn't have enough power. We took it back and exchanged the motor for the bigger motor with no problems. They were great about it and have been great for everything after that.

I believe you asked for good and bad experience ? Most replies we're bad and appeared to stick to the facts. Sounds like you had a motor swap done with good results so that is good. Anyone who has purchased a outboard and had problems knows service can be a issue. Swapping the motor is not always a option. When I purchased my rig I tried several shops and like others the zone rep fixed it at first glance. For those having service related issues remember "Zone Rep" . Ask for them !

I've only dealth with their service desk and can't speak about the shop. Their parts desk has been helpful giving explinations of how things work and have printed off and given me the exploded view of the parts that I've questioned. No hassles what so ever.

When I was boat shopping I had no issues like what was listed above. They were friendly, let me crawl around all of the boats without issue. I didn't buy from them though, because I'm too cheap and bought used from a private party. Not their fault.

Confused, you asked for folks good or bad experiences with them and then say you weren't looking for people to bash them. Maybe you should have just asked if anyone has had good experiences. The replies would have been far fewer. We bought a boat there many years ago and it was a good experience. The prices were clearly marked on the boats and on display in showroom. At least the model we were interested in.

HORRIBLE Customer Service in the Marine Repair Shop.

Bought a used Lund and brought it to R & R for an motor repair (figured since they were LUND dealer). Motor was fixed at a price I thought was higher then expected (but fine it was fixed), then they told me boat had weakness in the bottom rivets and was not water safe. Their estimate for repairs would be between 3-4000. We brought the boat home and inspected it ourselves and didn't see much aluminum structural damage. We put some store-bought epoxy on the questionable rivets and the boat has not taken a drop of water in 5+ years of extensive use. I 100% believe R & R was trying to take advantage of new boat owner by scaring them into thinking they needed work that wasn't needed.

Brought in a couple props to have fixed. One was fixed in a couple of weeks, then the other they had to send out to have done (not sure why, but was fine with that). Then as month and month went by I never heard back from them, I contacted them and they said the prop was ready to be picked-up weeks ago. Upon asking why they didn't call and say it was ready, they basically replied, "Why didn't you call us earlier?"

I despise the place and would tell boat owner to STAY AWAY! There are plenty of other boat repair shops that will provide great service and more importantly treat the customer right. BEWARE!

If you need a any props repaired, check out Soderblooms in Cromwell MN. They do a great job at a reasonable price and are pretty darn quick with thier turn around time. Been using them for approx 5 years and always been very pleased with thier work and service.

I have one there now for a small repair and a pitch change.

I have never dealt with with R&R, but I have dealt a lot with Ham Lake Rapid. Ham lake has been great to me. If you need motor work done they have two really good mechanics Chad, & Ernie. If you have an issue that can't be figured out chances are they can fix it. Great guys.