• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tents

sparky27

Looking for some suggestions on a good easy to put up tent for under $200. Will be a tent for just myself to sleep in, but would like a big enough one to also be able to store my gear also. Any advice on brands/models would be great. Thanks in advance.

Do you have any ideas as far as specific uses? Car camping, back packing, ect? Do you want to be able to stand up inside? Ive been a single tent camper for about 10-15 years now and have gone through probably 8-10 different brands, sizes, so I will try to help you out.

Hard to beat the old standby Eureka Timberline.

Unless you want a full coverage fly, vestibule or lightweight. hehe

Seriously though the Eureka is a decent tent. However I think tents have come a long wanys and there are some really nice tents out there with more room, vertical sides, a full coverage fly, vestibule and lighter weight.

None of that may matter to you so It just depends on how you want to use it.

I've heard good things about the REI tents. My Mountain Hardwear Litewedge3 was just a it over your budget, but has kept me dry in some pretty terrible weather. It's light enough for backpacking too, which is nice.

I did a quick search on both Cabelas and REI. Several good tents to look at.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything under $100. My first tent was a Coleman and about $100 and lasted at least 5yrs. I seam-sealed and re-waterproofed the tent and sold it in a garage sale for $40. I'm sure its still going if they took care of it. They don't make tents like that at that price anymore. I replaced it with a cheapie I picked up and it leaked the first trip. After trying two more tents, I realized quality costs money.

I prefer a free-standing tent. Stakes are optional if you camp on rock. I like a full coverage fly so I can have the screen on the door open without rain getting in and during heavy rains or strong winds you still remain dry. I also like vestibules on my tent for added storage. I like to keep my boots outside the tent and my packs too if I can.

A high quality tent will have good poles, be lightweight and/or compact, be waterproof (its amazing how few are truly waterproof) and a solid warranty. Any good store that wants to sell you a tent will let you set it up in the store. Lay down in side it. Pack it up again, try to carry it.

I have a Coleman Hooligan.. Great tent.. 1 pole setup so it's pretty lightweight without the backpacker price....

another option is looking into a hammock setup.. you can get a full Eagles Nest Outfitters hammock setup for under $200.. I hear Clark makes a really nice hammock camping system too for right around $200... Nice thing about hammocks is no need to worry about finding the perfect spot to pitch a tent.. just need 2 trees.. and hammocks give you a very natural bend to your back and allow for proper circulation.. I have an ENO hammock and love it.. way more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.. even with a inflatable mattress/sleeping pad.. I just keep my gear underneath the hammock/tarp.. if it rains.. I can always hang my bag with a carabiner from one of the straps that hold my hammock up

Sparky - I have three different tents right now: a giant Coleman 8-man, a 10-year old Eureka 3man, and a 4-year old REI half-dome 2man. By far I've been happiest with the REI tent. I'm generally not an REI person because I think that they overprice everything, but they have good specific camping items and they can often be worth the money. When I bought the REI tent, the deal was that you could return it for any reason. That was a great guarantee and I've never come close to considering it.

Everyone above listed some great options to consider. You'd probably do great in a two-person tent because you can stick your gear along side you. Vestibules are nice but not necessary - if it's raining just pull your boots inside (put them on something to limit the mud).

You don't need to seem seal a new tent, but you are enhancing its repellancy. The real key is knowing the best ways to use a tarp or tent-saver. Roll the edges up and tuck them under the tent so that any water rolling down the hill will go underneath and you tuck the edges under the tent bottom so that it doesn't catch the rain.

We've been sleeping in an REI Taj for a few years now. Great for two people and a couple small dogs, so you'd have ample room by yourself. Vestibule, good circulation and storage, easy set-up etc. Check 'em out.

Thanks for all your opionions. I will check out rei. Staying dry is a must. Do you guys do any additional waterproofing even with new tents?

Many now come seam sealed with taped seams. Mine are old, so I had to seal the seams myself. If the seams are taped you do not have to do anything but enjoy.

Tent?? Get a Hammock! Why would you want to sleep on the ground? smile

Quote:
Hard to beat the old standby Eureka Timberline.

At sportsman's guide you can get a 12x12 guide gear tarp for less then $20 right know.

We like our Columbia Bugaboo II we bought from Cabela's a number of years ago. Not the most expensive or fanciest tent, but it has the full coverage fly and small vestibules on each side. It's been waterproof every trip out and fairly roomy for a family of 4. You'd have a lot of room for one or two and it's pretty easy to set up.

Bear burrito, no room, to many night bathroom trips, not a gymnast, motion sickness...

Pretty sure if a bear is gonna attack you... A tent ain't gonna be any better of protection... And in all honest I have seen folks sleep in their hammocks a good 7-10' above the ground

Yeah, I was just being a wise guy on that. However, I don't think they are a good fit for all. Pretty neat though if it works for you.

oh yeah.. at festivals.. when i've had a wee bit too much to drink.. im usually opting to sleep under my hammock laugh the sway becomes a bit too much

I love sleeping in my ENO hammock.

I have 3 REI brand tents. A 2, 3 and 4person tent. The 3 hold my wife, dog and I. The 4person handles our family of 4. The two person is a 1 person or a one man-one woman tent.

No waterproofing required. REI does have the lifetime warranty on everything they sell. When I bent a pole I went to return it. They gave me a new one after offering to replace the tent. I took the new pole and the tent is still doing great.

I just ordered a Kelty Grand Mesa 6 from Backcountryedge.com for $189. IF you sign up for their email thingy, there's another 12% off bringing it down to $167. It gets almost perfect reviews. I'll let you know what I think when i get it, but just about everyone was giving it 4 or 5 stars out of 5. Full fly, and keeps you perfectly dry. No windows, unfortunately, and it's quite big at basically 11 x 9, with a little vestibule area as well. But it weighs just under 15lbs, so it's a nice size tent, that isn't super heavy. If you're back packing you may find that to be heavier than you like, but it's great for car camping, or basecamping.

If you want something smaller, there are smaller kelty products, and I've heard great things about the Taj3 (not sure who manufactures that one, but REI probably has it.

I think most guys run a seam sealer down the seams. You could always set it up in the yard, set your sprinkler on it, and sit inside and look for leaks. Just seem seal where you see leakage. But it's a good idea to put something on the seems.

I would not own a tent without windows. I can sit on my cot and watch the rain pour down while staying perfectly dry in my Eureka Sunrise. Nice windows and the fly juts out far enough to allow you to leave them open in the rain, unless it's windy. Great tent. Can't say enough about it. Will post pictures.