• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What arrow do you shoot?

Jeff13

Looking to buy my arrows for the new bow. First time I've shot in 13 years so things have changed alot. Is there major differences in brands?

Going to be shooting a mathews Helim with a 30" draw at 70lbs if that makes a difference or not I don't know. Seems like so many choices in arrorws is it a Chevy/Ford/Dodge type thing?

You'll get 50 different answers from 50 sifferent people with a question like that.

Fact is, everyone is making a quality arrow these days, just pick one in the price range that doesn't make you cringe. Just make sure you buy them from a pro-shop that can help you get the right size to fit your new Helium.

Good luck!

Lots of great choices out there. Definately talk to a pro shop about the proper spine (flex) of the arrow and having the proper length. 30" draw doesn't always mean 30" arrow. Depending on the spine of the arrow, the length of the shelf etc, your arrow can end up being a size you didn't plan for.

SInce you're starting out, buy a half dozen and see how you like them. There are a myriad of choices of shafts, fletchings and weights out there. FInding the right combination is important. Once you find a combo that works for you then you can invest in a dozen arrows and really dial it in.

I shoot Gold Tip. I'm always looking to find a different arrow, but so far I haven't found a reason to change. My buddy shoots Carbon Express. Same deal. He always has. We shoot each other's arrows occasionally and don't notice a difference, so for now its just a matter of price and familiarity.

I still shoot Easton XX75 aluminum shafts. There's nothing magical about carbons or brands or anything like that. You just need to match the right spine and length of arrow to your bow weight/draw. All the arrow manufacturers have charts available for doing that.

With target arrows using field points you can shoot a very badly matched arrow on your bow and it will shoot fine. Broadheads are where you have to get it right.

The advice to go to a Pro Shop is the best thing that I have read on here. They will make sure you are set up properly. If the spine of the arrow, or length of arrow, is incorrect your groupings will suffer.

Beman ICS Hunter 340 is what I shoot.

Mathews Switchback

28.5" Draw

62 Pounds

Beman ICS Hunters here too. I'm not sold on the smaller dia. penetration thing. My Bemans are pretty small diameter compared to aluminum and since I started using them, I haven't had a deer hold on to one yet. A cheaper alternative is the Cabelas Stalker Extremes. They are built with a Beman ICS Hunter shaft.