• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Killin' me...

Scoot

This weather and my lack of free time are killin' me! As I've mentioned before, this is my favorite time of year to hunt. I really like to hunt on the days with a steady breeze and really cold temps- the colder the better. Also, hunting on trails running through a decent amount of snow is great- it makes the predictability of deer go way up.

This year is a different though... No snow and warm temps makes for nearly complete randomness in deer activity this time of year, in my experience. That being said, I've really enjoyed the beautiful weather we've had so far! So, I can't believe I'm saying this, but Santa please make it snow and make the temps drop down to zero or so. All I'm asking for is six inches of snow and two weeks of cold temps. After that, I'm all for warm weather and no wind!!!

I hear you Scoot. I'm very torn about the weather. I want to get out once more this year and I'm saving it for some snow if that ever comes. I am very limited in time right now but I've got a few kitchen passes saved up and just want a fat doe for the freezer. I've driven around some of the places I hunt and there's nothing in the fields until well after dark. Like Musky Buck said, its been a very strange year.

yep same here. With the holidays coming up and other life's business my free time is next to nil and I would love to strap on the snow camo at least once this year. It is looking like it won't happen this year. Oh well I guess I won't have to worry about getting stuck in the snow trying to drive to the back swamps...

I'm feeling a little guilty because I've been spending a fair amount of time hunting this late season. It's easy to sit in this weather, but the deer movement has been sporadic, and the bucks are definitely nocturnal in our area.

The first heavy snow and colder temps changed everything for the better, but that only lasted less than a week.

It figures, though, that I've got the time to hunt this year and there is no snow. Better yet, got a new auger from the wife for Christmas, and it's going to stay in the box for at least another two weeks. grin

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

It's been an odd fall/winter for sure. I've only put on my snow camo twice this year and that was back in November. With the deer numbers low as they are, I'm really hoping for the mild weather to continue. My season's pretty much over at this point, might get to sneak out once more after Christmas if I'm lucky.

I used to LOVE late season bow hunts when you can find a good food source. I had a couple years where I could hunt a cut corn field late in the year with no other food around. It can be really good hunting.

But if the weather is warm it is tough. Comfortable to be on stand but boring with little deer movement.

I have about 5 combined cornfields to hunt or maybe it's 6, but the deer don't seem to hit them until after dark. There's one I can't see from the road, that I have to go through all the cover to get to, plus it's 25 miles from home, so technically I don't know about that one. Might hit that one if we get some snow & I can see if they're coming out there.

Called it quits last weekend and had a great day out without shooting an arrow. Seen plenty of deer moving morning and evening but no shot to be made. Hunt in the SE part of the state and was rewarded with a dusting of snow Saturday morning as I stepped out of the hunting shack. You all know how well you can see them deer moving with a little snow on the ground.

That evening I seen a few go thru behind me at about 80 yards, then a few more and then a couple more. Got the can out flipped it a couple times, then it was like a bunch of mustang horses running right back were they came from and there were a couple nice bucks in the mix. The can spooked them more than anything, that will be my last memory of many for 2011 and I am OK with that. Looking forward to next season already but glad it's time for a little ice fishing with my two favorite girls. Wife and daughter. Oh... and the young lab we brought home last spring.

Good luck to everyone here and I so look forward to next season and all your pic's and stories. Come on March and some good old shed hunting with my Buddy Boyd whom I am training to give me a hand out there. Even if he don't find one for me it will be nice having him out there.

I hear ya boys ... although I shouldn't complain. My schedule gives me unlimited time in the woods for the first week of the season and the last 10 days of the season, which is pretty nice. With an empty freezer, I was hoping for better (colder) weather next week, but I'll be out there regardless. Can't shoot 'em from the living room.