• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boats and snakes...

CrappieJohn

I was digging thru some stuff last night that was used years ago on the Mississippi River backwaters for crappie and northern fishing. One of the items was a spinnerbait and it had something hanging from the hook. Upon closer examination I determined it was a hunk of snake skin and rememberd precisely where it came from.

I had taken a non- fishing neighbor down to the backwaters of the Miss to fish northerns. I always used spinnerbaits for them figuring walleyes, bass, crappies and everything else in the water would hit them too. We set out and got into a lagoon with weeds all around the edge and deep water in the center. Trees were right to the waters edge in most places here and we were largelky out of the sun. As we fished my company got to hear some of the vernacular that goes with northern fishing , including the term "snake". Somewhere, somehow, this guy manages to cast out and go over what turned out to be a bull snake of about five feet. I hate snakes. If I think I am going to be meeting one, I carry an axe. Or a big gun. So this guy says to me...with my back to him of course, "hey, I just hooked a snake". And I says, not knowing what exactly he has gotten into, "Good! Just reel him in and I'll show you how to take him off the hook". Righto. He hands me this rod and I hear the usually rattling around in the bottom of the boat. I take up the slack so I can swing the trophy back to un-hook it when, to my surprize, I find this writhing, five foot, terribly agitated, bull snake making a beeline for my face.

What ensued was a mixture of Biblical ( I swear I walked on water), Olympic (speed and tenacitry while covering un-real distances in very short time-frames), and true fishing savvy ( I did not relenquish the rod or the tackle and fought this quarry like a pro!) all combined into one movement. It was not a thing of grace or beauty, but it did serve to remove me from the eminent peril in the boat.

Where the snake went, I have no idea (thank God for blackouts and mental blocking!).How long this episode lasted is also at query. BUT, this is how I came to find this lure with that unusual looking chunk of stuff on the hook. Today, after having all night to think about it, I threw the thing in the junk. Lie the smokes, this is a piece of the past I'm happy to be rid of.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

muckbootsonline.com Pro Staff
Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff

[email protected]

Good story
We are lucky here in MN as not to have a large population of dangerous Snakes.
I have some relatives that live in Texas that carry a shot gun in the boat for protection while fishing. It seems that dangerous Snakes and Camen are quite common on the water and some try to board the boat. If morning the boat, each morning the rod lockers,storage lockers and live wells are carefully checked for snakes.
In all the years of fishing I have only seen two harmless snakes on the water in MN.

I don't mind snakes, they leave me alone, I leave them alone...even try to help them once in awhile (Getting them off the warm road, before they get run over).

I seen one crossing the road in Brooklyn Park Mn. and I thought I'd pull over and give it an assist.

At first I thought it was a little bull snake, but it was kind of odd looking? I did'nt figure it was anything to worry about and I went to pick it up by the tail.

That dang thing reared up and fanned open a hood! Started weaving back and forth, hissing and striking at me!

I'm no snake expert, but I have watched the Croc Hunter a time or two and it looked and acted like a Cobra! Hey, I know it sounds crazy, but people have all kinds of weird pets, some illegal, maybe someones pet snake made it's escape.

I don't feel qualified to be messing with Cobras, or any other type of venomous snake, so I called the only people I knew to call, the cops! I'm sure they thought I was crazy.

Well, after a time, no one showed up, so I thought well, I might as well go make an effort to try and find it and whack it in the head with the broom handle I was carrying.

I go back to the spot and low and behold, there it is on the road again, this time it was'nt as lucky, a car had knicked it and put it out of commission. It was'nt dead, but it was'nt going anywhere either.

I carefully picked it up by the tail and put it in the truck and booked for home. When I got home, I figured it was probably suffering alot, so I put it out of it's misery.

I called a couple of pet shops and they put me onto a guy in St. Paul, an expert on snakes. After describing the snake to him, he says, "Yup, it's a Cobra all right!" But just to make sure, he gave me the number to an even bigger expert in the Big Lake Mn. area and I gave him a call.

"Yup, it sounds like a Cobra!" Pause.."But there is one other kind of snake it might be, although they are not native to this area." (Like a Cobra is!) he says it could be an Eastern Hognosed Snake and that they acted like Cobras and that their bite was mildly venomous.

I went and checked it out at the library and sure enough, thats what it was. My Cobra turuned out to be a snake that is not found west of the Mississippi...this fella must have gotten lost!

Here's another snake story, I'll try to keep it short.

Went fishing with this one big fella, a rough and tumble Finlander. We were fishing the Mora area...a little Garter snake about 6 inches long swims by me and I grabbed it.

I says to my pard, "Hey, waddyathink, this would make some good bass bait, huh?" and I tossed the little snake at him.

When he seen what it was, it was as if Gallager had hit him in the head with that big wooden hammer! He went down on his back, making funny noises and working his arms and legs like a tipped over turtle!

I think he had fainted! When he came to, he was pale as a ghost and he hardly talked the rest of the trip? As a matter of fact, he did'nt talk to me for a long time after that!

LOL great read!
Sadly I'm in the same boat as you tom, I'm not really scared of snakes for say, But I certainly don't like them, if there're out of my way, I'm happy. The gf on the other hand, probably woun't be phased too much, she used to have a couple snakes when she was younger, and on day asked me if she could get one again, my answer??? Not a chance in heck. Ever.

I'd would've probably just thrown the whole rod and reel in the water.

Has anyone seen the bill dance outtake when the snake comes into his boat, or when the one falls on his head and shoulders when he is pulling a lure out of the branches? Funny stuff there too! Way to go steve irw...I mean crappie tom.
Best Fishes
Chris

I was out fishin' yesterday and saw about a 15 inch snake swimmin' by. I had my inline spinner on the end of the line and tried to cast out and snag the thing. No luck.

I'm not afraid of snakes. I wish I woulda been in the boat to be the one to remove the bull snake from the hook. That woulda been great! Take it home for a pet. Let it play with the cats.

Years ago, our folks had a cabin on Birch Lake, north of Elk River, off #10.

There was'nt much for us to do up there, except hang around a couple of the docks, fishing and whatever other kind of recreation we could create...it seemed like every inch of the ground was covered with Poison Ivy and you had to be carefull what you did.

My younger brother and I were going down to the dock one morning and we here what sounded like a rattle comming from the weeds next to the trail, "Rattlesnake" says I and we both stopped....recreation in the making!

We got some forked branches and started hunting for the alledged rattler. I spotted the snake and got him pinned to the ground. Reinforcements arrived and helped
hold him. "Grab em" I says to my brother, but he was'nt having any of that, so I got ahold of the snake, just behind the head and lifted him out of the grass.

Whoo!!! I could see it was'nt a rattler, it was a very huge Bullsnake! Man, this thing was like 4 feet long and as round as a tennis ball through the middle! Once I had it, I did'nt know what to do with it, it was strong and heavy!

We debated killing it, decided not to, and tried to formulate a plan to let it go. My brother wanted to take a turn holding it and we manuvered until he was in control and this snake was P.O.'d!

Somehow, without biting him, the snake coiled around his skinny arm and started to constrict...he got scared and started to cry, the circulation in his arm was going and he said his hand was getting weak and he could'nt hold the snake much longer. I had been laughing, but it got serious quick!

I had a h**l of a time uncoiling that beast and it took just about all the strength I had at that time. Once we had it loose, him with the head, me with the tail, we decided to go down to the dock, swing the snake and on the count of three, toss it into the water. We did and that snake was striking and making awful noises, even as it was airborne and immediately upon hitting the water, it came right back for us!

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line and we burned a trail right through the Poison Ivy, to the dirt road! Once on the road, we headed for the cabin, gravel flying, our skinny little legs were moving faster then an egg beater! I'm sure we both set a land speed record in the 200 yard dash!

That cured us of messing with snakes, and I believe the experience taught us some valuable lessons, one being that Bullsnakes can be very aggressive and they will bite!

Okay, one more snake story and I'll quit!

The phone is pretty quiet tonight so maybe I can finish it before someone calls (I have dial up and a splitter..it gives me 45 seconds before it kicks me off and I lose what I'm writing).

Let me lay a little ground work...the friend I went fishing with was a real rough hombre! This guy was good sized and would'nt think twice about eating your lunch! This guy was tougher then pan fried chuck steak!

He would whip up on someone in a New York second and it did'nt take to much provocation either! He was going with my sister at the time, so I was relatively safe.( Nah, just kidding, we were buds anyways).

This big Finlander could not only dish it out, he could take it to! I seen a guy put so many knuckle bumps on his head one time, that he looked like a male Fathead minnow!
He still perservered!

Anyways, we are fishing below the dam, where the Fish lake impoundment drains out, up by Mora.

My pard was off somewhere and I snagged this nasty looking Lamprey....my only knowledge was of the Lampreys in Superior and I knew they were bad.

I thought I had discovered some sinister situation and I was going to show the nasty looking thing to the ranger in Cambridge.

I put the ugly little custard in a hook tin with some water and put it in my tackle box. My big tough friend comes back, asks me if I have any hooks and I said yes, "just look in the tackle box."

A second or two later, I heard this shrill scream and I seen my friend topple over, I thought someone had shot him!

I raced over to where he was and he dang near rolled off the dam and into the water!

In a second, he is rolling around in the hooks he had spilled from the tin and he kind of comes to...he looks around and sees this little lamprey wiggling next to him and he launched himself about 30 feet through the air, from a sitting position!

His face looked like it broke out in instant gin blossoms! I asked him what the H**l happened and he told me he was going to kill me!

The tough guy was afraid of snakes and the Lamprey was just one more extremely ugly little snake to him!

After alot of talking and a little running and dodging, I finally convinced him that it was an accident and that i had'nt meant to get him.

He told me that if I laughed anymore, he would'nt give me a ride home and if I told anyone, he would kill me!

It's been awhile, he is to heavy and slow to catch up to me now, so i acn tell the story!

Hey Grebe...All of us Indiana Jones types can relate to your bud's dilemma. While thins doesn't refer to snakes, I'll tell it any way.

For years I have butchered my own livestock....deer, pigs, and even a cow along with some bear. And I have always had this thing for making sausage...brats, breakfast, summer, and of course beef sticks. I was short on pork for the upcoming deer season, so went to my pals farm and cut a couple pigs from the herd, did the thing with the .22, dressed them out and brought them home. After I had finished with the processing part, I rolled the bones and excess fat up in the hides, which, incidentally, had the heads still attached. And visible. I was living in a house with a common dumpster for garbage with the neighbor, so I let them know that the carcasses were in there. The garbage boys came early the next morning. Earlier than usual. I was attempting to get into a pair of jeans when the honcho hops back to the dumpster and whips open the top....only to find these twopig heads , eyes wide open, glaring out at him.

Now this guy was maybe thirtyfive years old when he looked into that container. When he quit with the screaming, running, profanity and other activities related to his great find, he looked much older. His pants were wet and he had trouble breathing. After getting into the cab of the truck, he would not come out....even after the police arrived. All of this happened by the time I got my shoes on.

It took about two hours before the neighborhood to return to normal. The garbage dude went home to change his clothes and promptly changed his route. I am not sure, but I think after some "sessions" and a couple testosterone injections he regained control of his bladder.

Before they left the driveway that morning, I had actually thought about giving the two garbage dudes a pack of fresh porkchops apiece, then though better of the idea. And when we get a bit bogged down here again, I'll tell you about my old hunting buddy's Brittany Spaniel and the deep freeze.

------------------

[email protected]

"Just reel it in and I'll show you how to take it off the hook"

"Right-o!

HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA

You don't know what happened to the snake, or the client in the boat either...

"Maybe the Dingo got your baby!"

You went from so non-chalant about it, thinking "snake" as in "snake Northern" to flucking freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry Tom, but I can't stop laughing... grin.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The killer.....

"just reel it in and I'll take it off for you"

"Right-O!

He swings the trophy into the boat.

HAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walked on water!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

from somebody:

quote:

I'd have just thrown the whole rod and reel into the lake

The snake is still in your boat....You better jump in after your rod now too.

The snake drives away with your boat and your client, and they go catch some Crappies...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"sorry Dude, but you're on your own now!!!!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

from somebody:

quote:

I learned on those days that there's more than one way to fill your waders!

Yeah...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from the Grebe:

quote:

He went down on his back, making funny noises and working his arms and legs like a tipped over turtle!

HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was he blowing rasberries too????

Whew...

quote:

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line and we burned a trail right through the Poison Ivy, to the dirt road! Once on the road, we headed for the cabin, gravel flying, our skinny little legs were moving faster then an egg beater! I'm sure we both set a land speed record in the 200 yard dash!

You can still see the path to this day!

"Faster, he's gaining on us!!!"

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker, whom is still laughing right now!!! (edited 08-17-2004).]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 08-17-2004).]

This summer my grandson and I have done quite a bit of fishing from our boat and he has what I call eagle eyes. I would never have noticed them without him pointing them out. We have seen at least 6 snakes swimming around in the water this year. The last one was a couple days ago on the Mississippi and it was about 18" long, green colored with bright yellow stripes around it about one inch apart the whole length. Any one know what that was?

It depends on how bright the yellow bands were, but that could have been a couple different kinds. Bulls and hognosed both have markings that could look like bands if they were in the water and you only got a quick look.

These stories are great. I used to catch big bulls and hognosed snakes when I was a kid, but I have not seen a bull in years. A bull snake is a constrictor. If I held one up by the neck and touched my arm to it's belly it would wrap me up tight and stay there. They will also mimic a rattler by vibrating their tail on dry leaves. Hognosed will play dead when cornered.

I've taken several out of houses for people through my work, from native species like those mentioned that got in the house to exotic pets that got loose from somebody. The most memorable was actually a four foot iguana. Three different neighbors videotaped the capture.

My boys catch garters at the lake but they have never encountered a bull. I'm not sure how they would react.

Say CrappieTom, if you blacked out and don't remember what happened, isn't likely that snake is still in your boat, under the floor? You know they can live on very little, just grab a little something now and then. I'll bet you've never had a problem with mice in your boat. grin.gif

2dalake...I'll bet this took place thirty years ago. Somehow that old spinnerbait got shuffled from box to box with that hunk of snake hide still intact and when I last encountered it figured it was time to take the hike.

------------------

Catch-n Tackle Pro Staff
[email protected]

Reading your story was funny, but I tried reading it out loud to my wife and had to stop several times to catch my breath because I was laughing so hard. For some reason it was that much funnier out loud.

Just remembered another snake mishap....my 21 year old daughter was about 6 at the time and she was real interested in things outdoors.

Her dad, (Me) ever trying to encourage and nurture a fondness for nature in my kids, brought her home a cute little Garter Snake, about a foot long....upon taking it from my hands, it promptly latched onto her finger like a PitBull and hung on! It must have thought her little finger was an angle worm, or something, because it bit and did'nt let go.

She went streaking around the yard, about a hundred miles an hour, screaming and flailing this little snake, like a miniature whip.

My wife and I were finally able to capture her and I started squeezing the little snakes head this way and that, until the little bass turd let go.

She won't go near them now, does'nt even like to see them on T.V.

Grebe....Yea...I guess that would have done it for me too. Can we say nice guy tongue.gif? Sort of like the guy who finds a paper wasps' nest during the early deer season and brings it into the cabin for a decoration. Oh the stories one can tell when some age has been applied. We need a campfire and the lack of censorship for an evening!

------------------

Catch-n Tackle Pro Staff
[email protected]